PDA

View Full Version : WAHM Cloth Diaper Reviews

sparkeze
12-01-2002, 03:50 PM
So I'm still on my journey to getting to know what's out there in the world of cloth diapers and I posted reviews on mostly non-WAHM diapers last time. So this is dedicated to WAHMs.

Buckeye Bottoms: I got a PUL cover and a fitted diaper from here (in Elmo print! DS's fave) and they're great. The diaper has a snap in soaker, fleece topped that basically covers the entire diaper area, which I like. The cover is side-snapping, which is also my preferred style, and works great over fitteds.

Manyducks: I have a Onesize AIO and a size Medium AIO. The Onesize has a soaker sewn in, which is nice although it takes a little longer to dry, and is entirely lined with fleece on the inside. I have found that I really like fleece lined diapers! The medium AIO has a snap in trifold soaker. I think I prefer the Onesize AIO just because the soaker is sewn in, making it easier to put on. I find that the trifold soaker takes more time to position it correctly inside the diaper. But I liked both of these and I ordered some fitted onesize diapers a couple days ago which have the soaker sewn in and is also completely lined in fleece.

Happy Heiny's: I haven't actually used this diaper yet but it looks just like a Fuzzi Bunz but with Aplix instead of snaps and cute prints on the outside. It's a couple dollars cheaper than FB, but you also need to get your own inserts. From what I read, this is a great alternative if you like the concept of FB so I'll have to try it out.

Luke's Drawers Cotton Kisses AIO: Reviewed last time. This was my favorite diaper then. I still like it a lot but it's rather bulky. Since I change DS frequently during the day I don't know how neccessary it is to have an ultra-absorbant diaper. I think I'm preferring middle of the road absorbancy vs bulkiness.

Bizzy B Hive Fleece AIO: Reviewed last time. I like this diaper more now than I did when I had only used it a couple times. I like the nice wide fleece topped doubler inside and with the hemp soaker it's trimmer than the Luke's Drawers, but still very absorbant because the fleece cover part never even gets wet.

After CDing for a week DH and I both felt that AIOs were the way to go. However, after more practice with fitteds and covers it's not so bad. I'm not planning to use prefolds but some friends of mine only use prefolds and pins and it works great for them. I think if I would've started with pins when DS was not so mobile I could've kept using them but now is not a good time to learn how to use pins. Also, there are a lot of diapers out there that cost a LOT. But I have bought some pretty expensive diapers, and some that are much cheaper and I don't think there's neccessarily much difference. There are plenty of WAHM diapers that cost about the same as Motherease Sandys, and although I like Sandys if I'm paying the same amount i would rather get WAHM diapers. There are also a lot of onesize diapers out there and though they may be more expensive than a ME Onesize, if you need to add a snap in liner and maybe even another doubler when your baby becomes a toddler and pees more at once, you're already at the price of a lot of WAHM onesize diapers. So those are my thoughts! Also, as a SAHM, I really admire the fact that WAHMs are finding a way to be able to stay home with their children - while still working! I don't know where they find the time! DS is now 8 mo and I still barely find time to shower and eat.

I hope someone found something interesting in this post. If anyone has any questions about what WAHM diapers are cheaper, or where to buy them, etc, let me know!

Mommy to Matthew 4/5/2002

mama2be
12-01-2002, 04:25 PM
what is wahm vs non wahm...what does that stand for???
and the FB

Just curious...thanks for taking time out to write reviews, that is so nice when people do that :)

nohomama
12-01-2002, 05:35 PM
WAHM = Work At Home Mom
FB = Fuzzi Bunz, a brand/system of cloth diapers

nohomama
12-01-2002, 05:38 PM
I just wanted to mention that it's not necessary to use pins or any fastener with prefolds if you are using a velcro or snap closure cover. I've used prefolds since Lola was a week old and have never used any type of fastener.

joodyjr
12-01-2002, 05:50 PM
Just thought I'd add my 2cents.. I love SOS diapers by Christensens Creations (www.sos.ewahm.com) and Darling Diapers www.darlingdiapers.com. I also like Sugar Peas, but they are rather difficult to get ahold of. Gotta give Luke's drawers and Manyducks two thumbs up as well.

Caroline99
12-01-2002, 06:56 PM
Why does it make a difference if you are a WAHM or a SAHM when it comes to cloth diapers?

Caroline

nohomama
12-01-2002, 07:36 PM
"WAHM diapers" is a distinction used to describe diapers designed and manufactured by women/mothers who run home based businesses.

mama2be
12-01-2002, 07:43 PM
Thank you I was starting to think I am "out there" witht his pregnacy and just didn't get it :)...I mean I knew what WAHM typically meant BUT had no idea what it meant when pertaining to diapers...:)

mama2be
12-01-2002, 08:01 PM
I am trying my hardest to grasp the cloth diaper thing...because after reading reviews etc...I have entertained the idea of cloth diapering. But I go these sites or read these reviews (which are great), and just don't know what these additional items are...and are they needed...

Like what is a soaker...a doubler...and "PUL cover"...

In otherword if I chose to cloth diaper what do I need????? I'm not talking brands you all have done such a great job in mentioning the brands etc...I'm talking about "stuff"...like what does it take to equal a usable diaper...

Does that make sense??? These sites assume I know the lingo and don't cater to someone who has no idea what it involves...

nohomama
12-01-2002, 08:40 PM
Doublers and soakers are two words for the same thing...an insert you put in a cloth diaper - prefold, fitted, or all-in-one - for added absorbtion.

PUL covers are, I assume, a specific brand of cover, like ProWrap or Bummies. I could be wrong on this one, but that's how I interpreted it.

KathyO
12-01-2002, 08:42 PM
More grist for the mill is always good! Thanks for posting all that. I do have one comment on the WAHM aspect of some diapers... I also support the idea of moms working at home (I do freelance writing when my daughter naps), but many "non-WAHM" businesses have WAHM roots. Just as an example, Mother-Ease started out as WAHM, but now her five (egads!) sons are in school, so she's moved into a storefront operation smaller than most 7-11's - all devoted to the manufacturing, except for a box up front of "factory seconds" and a display case of their products. Her husband was manning the front desk the day I dropped by to buy mine. So even many "conventional" businesses are actually pretty WAHM.

(I mention Mother-ease because they're what I know. Some folks like 'em, some don't, I believe in everyone getting what suits them best!!)

Glad to see more CD chat here. Some days I feel like some kind of weird hippie throwback when folks find out that I CD. Feel like I should wear beads and throw on some patchouli oil and a pair of Birkenstocks...

Cheers,

KathyO

joodyjr
12-01-2002, 08:59 PM
PUL is the waterproof material used on diaper covers. I forget what the letters stand for though.

Caroline99
12-02-2002, 01:33 PM
>"WAHM diapers" is a distinction used to describe diapers
>designed and manufactured by women/mothers who run home
>based businesses.

I still don't get it. I know what WAHM means, but why does it make a difference whether you are a WAHM or a SAHM in terms of CDing? Do you mean that some CDs are sold by women who work at home as their home-based business?

Caroline

egoldber
12-02-2002, 04:02 PM
Caroline, that's exactly correct. There are many WAHMs who make and sell cloth diapers as their business. Also there are WAHMs who just sell cloth diapers/cloth diapering supplies/baby supplies as their business. Most on-line sources of cloth diapering stuff are WAHM businesses.

HTH,

egoldber
12-02-2002, 04:19 PM
To cloth diaper you need:
1) a diaper
2) a cover to put over the diaper
3) a place to put dirty diapers until wash day

Everything else is really just variations on these three things!

To help (or confuse) here is a little elaboration on those things.

The Diaper:
There are three types of diapers: prefolds, fitteds, and All in Ones (AIOs). A prefold is the basic traditional, flat cloth diaper. You can use pins to fasten them. Most people these days use a Snappi (a plastic device which holds the diaper together and is about $2) or just fold them and put them in a cover. A fitted is a diaper which is shaped and has fasteners, usually velcro or snaps. AIOs are a diaper and a cover all sewn in one. It is similar to a disposable in this way, in that you can just grab one and use it.

The Cover:
There are many different types of covers, either the plastic pants from our mothers' era, to those that fasten with snaps and velcro. Many are made of PUL, which is a waterproof material.

The Pail: Well, that's pretty self explanatory.

A soaker is the absorbant inner core of a diaper. A "doubler", is an insert you just lay into a diaper to make it more absorbant (like for overnight or naps).

Most of the cloth diaper sites are very confusing. I had to read them over and over before finally getting it!!! Once I realized that I only needed those three things, then it was all much easier. I think part of the problem is that for many people who run cloth diaper websites, diapering is something of a hobby for them. Like any hobby it has its own lingo.

If I were to talk to someone starting out with cloth diapering with a newborn, I would recommend starting out with a very basic system of prefolds and covers. A service would be nice for the first month or so so that you have time to settle in before starting to launder your own. If prefold work for you, then that is certainly the cheapest and easiest route.

Many people have a cloth diaper system that consists of all three types of diapers. That way you get the benefit of the inexpensiveness of the prefolds, and the convenience of the fitted or AIO when it is convenient. I use prefolds and fitteds at home and use AIOs when out or traveling.

This is a great discussion! If there are more questions, please ask away!

HTH,

MelissaTC
12-02-2002, 06:17 PM
I have really appreciated all the CD chat. I started CDing with a diaper service and lasted 4 weeks. I was hooked! I dropped the service and now do it myself! And the scary part is, I really love it. I don't mind the poopy diapers at all. I feel like I am really doing something good for Matthew. He had such a reaction to disposables. I went out shopping this weekend (crazy!!! and we went to Southpoint, Neve) so I used disposables. What a mistake!!!! He wasn't happy at all and to top it all off, he had some kind of rash on one of his little rolls around his pelvis. I used some of the weleda cream that I got as a sample from a CD business and it is now gone.

As far as my favorites go, I must say that I bought some AWESOME prefolds from ebay from a seller named granitesmith. They owned a diaper service and have tons of NEW prefolds for sale- unbleached cpfs. And they are super great! I am so impressed with them. I also love my fuzzi bunz and I know some people aren't crazy about them but Kushies Ultra AIOs seem to work really well for us. I also really like Crickett's hemp diapers. They cost me a little more but I love the fact that she is local (Chapel Hill) and she is also a super nice woman. Her sherpa doublers are great!

Just my 2 cents...again, I love all this cd talk! I am so addicted!

megsmom
12-02-2002, 10:21 PM
More posts for me to print!!!!

I swear soon I am gonna do it. The checking account had a small heart attack this past month from all a bunch of little purchases that suddenly added up, but the good news is that my hubby got a raise so we should be okay to go soon. (I refuse to go into credit card debt for CD's!) I'll get my samplers and then give you ladies a review. :)

Another BIG thank you to Beth for letting me see a lot of her CD "collection." What a lifesaver! Don't feel too bad, ladies, I was overwhelmed with these terms and brands initially, too.

Jen
mom to Meghan
7/13/01

mama2be
12-03-2002, 08:42 PM
Thank you everyone...I felt like everyone knew the lingo and I was the only one not knowing :)...Beth thanks for explaining it the great way that you always do :)....Melissa I have never been to southpoint I'm afraid I will get addicted to that :) If I decide to do this cloth diapering thing you might have to meet me somewhere and educate me...I was thinking Foster's Market in Chapel HIll :):):)

I have NEVER changed a diaper gals!!!!!!!!!! I'm starting to want to CD, and noticed there are even patterns on the web to make some...I'm going to do a search for the folks who were recommended on EBAY. This looks like it can get expensive, but sounds like you can use them with more than one child assuming we will have more. DH is trying to "poo poo" the thought of this by the way :)

egoldber
12-03-2002, 09:59 PM
If you go with prefolds, you can EASILY spend less than $200 TOTAL for diapering your child from birth to potty training. If you go with fitteds and/or AIOs you'll probably spend in the $400 - $600 range. (Of course you CAN spend a lot more, but there really isn't any need to.) Any subsequent children would be almost free. (Covers do have a limited life and need to be replaced periodically.)

Compare this to the fact that I calculated I have spent nearly $1000 on disposables for my DD for her first 14 months.

HTH,

MelissaTC
12-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Neve- There is a greate diaper service in our area. They are based out of Greensboro and have coupons in most doctors' offices. You might want to think about trying them out. They are pretty reasonable and can "break" you into cding. That is what I did. I wound up cancelling it of course to do it myself but you might want to try it and see if you like it. You can look them up on the web at www.babybiz.com .

BTW, I love Southpoint. I live in Cary and make the trek because it is so worth it!

KathyO
12-03-2002, 11:06 PM
I totally agree re the usefulness of a diaper service in the early weeks. There wasn't one in our area, so we went disposables for the first few weeks, but I wish we'd had the option. I have known some folks to get together and give a month or so of diaper service as a baby present (just so's you can start slinging hints now...!)

Cheers,

KathyO

mama2be
12-04-2002, 08:00 PM
I am on ebay right now and this seller has a lot fo diapers. Whcih ones are you raving about so I know to zero in on these. I think I jut might go the cloth diaper route.

If you click on his/or her's ebay store there are several types fo diapers that they are selling...

*European Pre folds
*Micros mesh Pre folds
*Standard Textiles
*Chinese Prefolds
*Birdseye Prefolds
*Classic Flat folds

My DH is not liking this gals...HELP!!!! He keeps reminding me that I have NEVER changed a diaper...

I wonder if covers can be custom made?

Caroline99
12-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Borrow a kid and change him/her!

mama2be
12-04-2002, 10:02 PM
I have NO desire!!!! :)

egoldber
12-04-2002, 10:18 PM
That is too complicated for me!!! Personally, for prefolds, I would stick with one of the "name brand" WAHM sites (like naturalbabies.com or naturalebaby.com) and order from them. They are so cheap.

For example, infant premium chinese prefolds can be had from naturalbabies.com for $1.50 each or she has a Newborn Package for $83.70 that includes 36 prefolds and 6 covers (a savings of $10 over ordering a la carte).

You can get something similar from naturalebaby.com. She doesn't have packages, but I am sure she would price match if you asked. The nice thing about naturalebaby is that you can order them pre-washed, saving yourself a lot of time and energy pre-washing them.

HTH,

MelissaTC
12-04-2002, 10:42 PM
Her chinese prefolds, unbleached, are great. I washed them a few times and they are awesome, so much better than the ones I ordered from a reputable website. I personally like the 4x8x4 because Matthew is a heavy wetter.

If you'd like, I would be happy to discuss this with you off the board. Please feel free to e-mail me.

mama2be
12-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Melissa,

I know you are in the same ice storm I am in-it appears to have cripled Raleigh. My computer goes down and comes up and is acting funky...I will email you tomorrow or ove the week-end when it is faster. The gal who owns that company sent a very nice email back to me answering some question too...

Thanks again...we'll chat soon.

MelissaTC
12-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Yes, I am! We have had trees hitting the house. We no longer own a patio set or a grill as both were demolished by a fallen tree. We are lucky it only ripped off the gutters and not the roof. A lot of our neighbors have extensive damage. And to think we bought this house (we are off of Davis Dr in Cary) because it had a nice, private wooded lot! HA! Next house, NO TREES!! :)

Teresa Smith is wonderful to deal with. I bought 2 dozen infant size diapers and 1 dozen premium regulars. Like I said, I find them better than the 1 1/2 dozen I bought from a reputable WAHM. I think her diapers are super. They need a few washings but work well.

You also might want to consider using the diaper service for those first weeks. No clean-up for you. You will then be set to do it yourself because you will get the hamper for $12.00. That is the same hamper that the other sites are selling for 19.95 and up. You can also get prorap covers cheaper than the internet as well as deo disks. That is what I did. Saved myself shipping and the prices were cheaper, even with NC sales tax! Just a thought for you. I know they have coupons in dr.'s offices.

Looking forward to chatting with you :)

mama2be
12-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Oh man...I'm sorry to hear about the fallen trees (I guess it could have been worse-I'm sure you're sick of hearing that). We've had several trees fall in the neighborhood but knock on wood not in our yard. My hubby is out shaking the leland cypress' now to get the ice off, I am terrified that they will snap. I'm just thankful that we have electricity.

I called that diaper service yesterday morning and have not heard back from them yet, I wonder if they deliver to Clayton (we are considered the sticks to Raleigh folks).

Thank you again and we'll chat hopefully tomorrow :)