PDA

View Full Version : shopping in atlanta near convention center?

sdbc
05-31-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm going to be at a conference in Atlanta and may have some time between sessions to play/shop. Any great places to hit near the convention center? (stores or playgrounds). DD is 1 year old.

Thanks!

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

alkagift
05-31-2005, 01:37 PM
There's not a shopping district for kids' stuff that I can think of, although you could hit Underground Atlanta and see what they have.

The best kids thing downtown is ImagineIT! It's more geared toward toddlers, from what I understand, but should be fun for you and certainly stimulating for your DD.

http://www.imagineit-cma.org/

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

jamierush
05-31-2005, 02:57 PM
There is not a major traditional mall down there but within walking distance is the Imagine It, which is fantstic for play, and the CNN center and Phillips areana, both of which have a Loony Tunes/ Turner Brodcasting stores inside.

Next year they will have the New World of Coke and the new Aquarium within walking distance from the World Congress Center.

If you have enough time (2-3 hours) you can take MARTA up to Lenox Mall or Perimeter Mall. But you will need a stroller, there is a slight walk from the train stations to the malls.

Edited to add they have the Olympic Park which is ok to stroll around and they have a water fountain park for the kids to play in.

pritchettzoo
05-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Which convention center?

If you're at the one out by the airport (Georgia International Convention Center), there's NOTHING. There is a smaller convention area at Cobb Galleria, and that's connected to a mall and across the street from a mall. Then there's one downtown Atlanta that Alkagift referred to...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

TonFirst
05-31-2005, 04:53 PM
...and if you're near the Georgia World Congress Center, which is downtown, you can always hop on MARTA (the commuter rail system) and head to Lenox MAll or Phipps Plaza.