PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding posting pictures and hard drive space?

vpalmer
06-02-2005, 07:42 AM
I am wondering if the sudden rush to post pictures on third party site for the photo challenge is a valid issue raised by Alan and Denise or if this was purely speculation? I know that A&D have recently upgraded servers and I believe there are safeguards built in to the software for users to delete pictures periodically. About a year ago a screen popped up that prompted me to delete some of my attachments as I had exceeded my allotment for space. I have been a member since January 2002 and I received the message after I had been posting for about 2 years. At that time I deleted everything and started fresh. It sounds like this type of system will keep space available on the hard drive and I am wondering if it is really necessary to post to third party providers?

I know it is much more pleasant to scroll down and see all the lovely pictures than it is to have to click 30 times to see 30 different pictures.

I am really not looking to cause trouble. I am just wondering if we may have jumped to conclusions on the space issue. Marci was so sweet to set up the challenges and I know she is just trying to address the concern raised in the previous post about how the challenge should work.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

papal
06-02-2005, 07:53 AM
Veronica, you pose a very good question.. i don't know the answer. lol.
I just wanted to say that when you get that Screen that prompts you to delete attachments, the attachments are not all only yours. I got that screen once too and deleted all and then I realized that I had deleted a lot of attachments that were other peoples. The second time I got the screen, i just deleted a few select attachments.

I think we should directly post pics here.. if we run across any problems, then we can change our tune.. looks like the momentum for the challenge has waned a little (hats are had to photograph!) so we should not have that many pictures.
JMO.

vikivoly
06-02-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't know if A&D had anything to say about it or if it was just speculation.

I also like to see the pictures embedded into the post. I really don't see how it will pose any more of a problem than the many threads of pictures that already exist. Just in layette alone, we used to each post 7 or 8 attachments showing the clothes we were planning on buying from the new J&J, Hanna & Gymboree lines.

I say we stick to posting the way we always have, but try to keep the pictures smaller, unless A&D ask us to do something different.

Oh, and Rashmi is right about deleting other members pictures when that message comes up. I was wondering where all of my pictures went Veronica. ;)

vpalmer
06-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Leave it to me to delete everyone else's attachments! Oops!

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

alandenisefields
06-03-2005, 09:44 AM
No, we haven't raised any concerns about this issue. But here's an overview: we do allow users to upload attachments. The board script limits an attachment to 20,000 KB; users can only upload 10 attachments to the boards.

An error in the board script caused the problem described above (where some attachemtns were filed under the wrong user name). Not sure how that happened, so be careful when you decide to delete any attachments in your account!

In general, we ask users to be prudent about their use of attachments. We did switch servers, which has upped the speed on the boards. And we have additional bandwidth. That said, bandwidth is not free---so we may have to put some additional limits on this if folks get carried away!

We are proud that are boards are FREE for folks to use. And there are NO annoying banner ads, pop-ups or other promotion on our site. Help us keep it that way by not bogging down the server with a flood of attachments!

Thanks,
Alan & Denise

Phoebe
06-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Mary
DD 4/01
DS 6/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/26734.jpg

jubilee
06-03-2005, 05:13 PM
"I know it is much more pleasant to scroll down and see all the lovely pictures than it is to have to click 30 times to see 30 different pictures. "

Actually if you use photobucket- you can imbed the pic into this post. This pic is an example- it is stored on photobucket, it is imbedded so you don't have to click anything to see it, it doesn't take up A&D's computer space, I don't worry about someone else deleting it, I can access it to delete it anytime I want, and it doesn't have to be just 20K as uploads here have to be.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/juliebee70/boysinglasses2.jpg

tarahsolazy
06-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Those are some hot guys you've go there.