PDA

View Full Version : American Apparel ?

jess
02-24-2007, 11:01 AM
I am looking to get my little guy some American Apparel stuff--specifically the karate pants, laps tee and tank top. I would love feedback as to how they fit--are they roomy? run small? Also, what is their shrink factor? He is currently almost a year, and is pretty much in size 12-18 months (excpet Zutano, where he's 18-24). Thanks so much!!!

smilla653
02-24-2007, 11:15 AM
I was all set to say AA runs "true to size"/small but I have to say, I was thrown off by the fact that your one-year-old wears a *larger* size in Zutano than in other brands. My experience with Zutano was that the separates run *big*, and the one-pieces run small. So, my DS, who is 21 months, is only now in 18-24 month Zutano separates. And Zutano is cut way more boxy than most AA.

The lap tees run to the smaller side. They are long and narrow, but with a lot of stretch. In any given clothing cycle, DS starts out in the same size of AA as everything else he's wearing, but outgrows his AA stuff first.

The karate pants we tried on in several sizes but didn't buy. The length was pretty true-to-size, but my DS is skinny and the waist was just way too big. Moms of chubbier babies love the karate pants, though. There is a thread somewhere comparing AA and Entertaining Elephants sizing that discusses the relative lengths/waists.

I didn't measure before I washed, but I'd say the shrink factor is moderate.

We were really happy with AA lap tees as an everyday l/s tee.

Just found the thread I was thinking of. It didn't say as much about AA as I thought, but it might give you an idea:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=96860&mode=full

jess
02-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Thank you so much for your feedback! I buy Zutano in the larger size because of the length (my son is average weight, but close t 100 percentile height)...I don't mind the loose fit, as long as the pants are not in the middle of his leg. Also, I mainly have Zutano's overalls/coveralls, not the separates.

Maybe I'll just order one of the karate pants to test-size them...

Again, thanks for all the info., I appreciate it.

Shannon