PDA

View Full Version : XPost- If you sell items at consignment or resale shops..I have a ?

kayte
02-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I packed up a bunch of DD's clothes today and took them to a local store. They bought about half of the stuff. There is another similar store in my area. Is it worth it for me to lug the remaining items over there before I donate? Do they usually buy the same things (by brand) or do they buy what they specifically need in their store (by style and size).
TIA

ctmom
02-28-2007, 03:47 PM
It depends. In my area, there is one that pays you that day for items they accept. The other store takes anything, but you only get paid if the item sells.

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

kristenk
02-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Do you have any consignment sale events in your area? I know in our area, there are a couple of different ones that rent out convention centers or church halls or whatever a couple of times per year. You're responsible for setting prices for whatever you want to sell. The organizers take a consignment fee (like a flat $10 fee) and/or a percentage of sales. You don't have to be there to sell your clothes. You can either pick up the items that don't sell or have them donated.

Thought I'd mention it just in case it sounds interesting.

mom2binsd
02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
As an employee of a consignment sale (and also a consignor) I can tell you that you get a lot more for your money (we give 70% minus an 8.00 fee), yes you have to do your tags but you set your prices and compared to the 40-50% some stores give I've found I come out much better. I just save up all my clothes and get rid of them all at once (our sale tends to have shoppers willing to pay for name brands, I sold gymbo pants for 6-8.00 a piece, etc. Our city only has one consignment shop and a lot of the stuff is really worn and I find it doesn't always charge what I'd want, whereas our sale is very picky about what type of clothes we accept and I can get rid of baby/kids gear all at once. Check out the web for a sale near you, they're a lot of fun.

daniele_ut
02-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Beth - I just wanted to say thank you! I hadn't thought to check the web for local consignment sales, but I just did and found 2 nearby in April. I have had NO time to list anything on ebay and this is a much better alternative to Kid to Kid!! Thanks again!

mom2binsd
03-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Danielle,

I didn't realize you were in UT, I used to consign at the Hilltop sale in Sandy (not sure if you're nearby), you definitely want to work the sale to get a presale pass, that's when all the really good stuff is available for buying (and they start lining up for the presale about an hour ahead of time).