PDA

View Full Version : shoe dilemma

nyc_mom
03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi all,

2.4 yo DD needs new shoes for the spring/summer. I usually stick to stride rite since she has a wide foot (she's an 8W in their shoes). Was just at stride rite and really don't like any of their sneakers or spring shoes. any suggestions for moderately priced shoes for DD with wide foot? TIA!

nyc_mom

nyc_mom
03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi all,

2.4 yo DD needs new shoes for the spring/summer. I usually stick to stride rite since she has a wide foot (she's an 8W in their shoes). Was just at stride rite and really don't like any of their sneakers or spring shoes. any suggestions for moderately priced shoes for DD with wide foot? TIA!

nyc_mom

squimp
03-07-2007, 01:45 PM
My DD also has a wide foot, always has. Here's a list of shoes that worked for us last summer (when DD was 2.5).

Umi - their regular width is fairly wide
Willets - has a wide width
Crocs
Pasitos
See Kai Run - very cute, wish we'd done more of these before she outgrew them

Some Target sandals worked for us too, give them a try for fit and flexibility.

squimp
03-07-2007, 01:45 PM
My DD also has a wide foot, always has. Here's a list of shoes that worked for us last summer (when DD was 2.5).

Umi - their regular width is fairly wide
Willets - has a wide width
Crocs
Pasitos
See Kai Run - very cute, wish we'd done more of these before she outgrew them

Some Target sandals worked for us too, give them a try for fit and flexibility.

nyc_mom
03-07-2007, 02:23 PM
great list! thanks :)
nyc_mom

nyc_mom
03-07-2007, 02:23 PM
great list! thanks :)
nyc_mom

MeAndMyStar
03-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I second the See Kai Runs! They are super cute and very flexible. This brand fits my DD really well...she measures 7W at Stride Rite.

MeAndMyStar
03-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I second the See Kai Runs! They are super cute and very flexible. This brand fits my DD really well...she measures 7W at Stride Rite.

nyc_mom
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I do love the style and flexibility of the SKRs but are they solid enough on the bottom for outdoor play, rocks and such? DD is also not that coordinated, do they provide enough support? Never had them before so I wanted to know before I bought them.

nyc_mom

nyc_mom
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I do love the style and flexibility of the SKRs but are they solid enough on the bottom for outdoor play, rocks and such? DD is also not that coordinated, do they provide enough support? Never had them before so I wanted to know before I bought them.

nyc_mom

MeAndMyStar
03-07-2007, 07:05 PM
They are great for us so far, but they do scuff pretty easily. I think they would be okay for rough play but might not look too great after a while.

For me, the support is good enough, but I much prefer a flexible sole to a stiff one, so I guess it's just a matter of opinion. The leather is actually thinnner and much less stiff than I expected, so not as "sturdy" as most Stride Rite styles.

DD doesn't do much rough outdoor playing yet, so I can't say how they will hold up under tons of abuse. Having said that, we are most likely getting another pair of SKR for the summer and will use them probably every day. She has no problem running, climbing or playing in them yet. HTH!

MeAndMyStar
03-07-2007, 07:05 PM
They are great for us so far, but they do scuff pretty easily. I think they would be okay for rough play but might not look too great after a while.

For me, the support is good enough, but I much prefer a flexible sole to a stiff one, so I guess it's just a matter of opinion. The leather is actually thinnner and much less stiff than I expected, so not as "sturdy" as most Stride Rite styles.

DD doesn't do much rough outdoor playing yet, so I can't say how they will hold up under tons of abuse. Having said that, we are most likely getting another pair of SKR for the summer and will use them probably every day. She has no problem running, climbing or playing in them yet. HTH!

nyc_mom
03-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks so much!

nyc_mom
03-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks so much!

TereasaT
03-10-2007, 01:31 AM
If you are planning on getting the newer style SKR shoes, try them on in person or order them from an online store that has free return shipping. The new styles that I just received (Rashad and London) are narrower than the older styles. Also, their sizing has changed.

squimp
03-11-2007, 03:55 PM
They seem to change their sizing a lot! I would buy these in person, if possible, to make sure you get a good fit.

snowangel
03-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I am also a huge fan of the SKRs. My DD is a size 8 XW in Stride Rites. Her SKRs seem to be fine and I am guessing her latest ones are the newest sizing, but I am not sure. I love them.

I actually bought her a pair of sandals from Target today. They are white and they light up on the sides but they are very flexible and they have velcro so I can adjust for width, which is nice.

I am also trying out Saltwater sandals this year. I have a pair on order.

And of course she will have two pair of Crocs this summer too and I know these will be what gets the most wear because both my kids just looooove Crocs!

squimp
03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
I've been wanting to try those this year!

SummerBaby
03-12-2007, 09:21 AM
My DD also has a wide foot and high instep so we have a hard time finding cute shoes that fit well. We've had several pairs of Jumping Jacks (they come in W and sometimes XW) and I've really liked them. The only problem is they don't have a big selection.

Val
DD 2.5 years old
another summer baby coming in 2007!

nyc_mom
03-12-2007, 09:32 AM
any suggestions on whre to get jumping jacks? in your experience is their sizing comparable to the stride rite sizing? I was wondering if I got her measured at stride rite could i order the same size in Jumping Jack shoes online.

Thanks to everyone who responded!
nyc_mom

nyc_mom
03-12-2007, 09:33 AM
oops. double post

SummerBaby
03-12-2007, 12:30 PM
My local Stride Rite store sells them. But I've also bought them online from Nordstrom's and Zappos. I think the sizing is similar- I always get DD measured at Stride Rite (it's unfortunately our only local option for kids shoes) and then order online. At this point, I try to avoid the B&M store (long lines with impatient 2 year old) at all costs- it's just easier to order 5 pairs from Zappos and return what doesn't fit. I think Fat Wallet gives a 6% rebate on Zappos too.

Good luck!

Val
DD 2.5 years old
another summer baby coming in 2007!