PDA

View Full Version : Hanna for skinny babies!? Doesn't seem to work...

smiley525
03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
My 13 month old DD is 30 inches and only about 16lbs she has two playdresses in a 70 that work ok (though the pants barely stay on and are a little short and the short sleeve dress one I got off Ebay is a little short too)

So I got a size 70 polka dot romper off swap NWT and it it huge on her, she looks like a clown, the problem is the crotch area comes down to her knees-I think cause she is so skinny and doesn't fill it out. By height she should almost be in 80s.

So my question is will she ever be able to really wear hannas or are they more for normal/chubby babies and kids. I have bought a lot of size 80 and 90 for future and I think she will never be able to fit into the pants cause her waist is so small I thought I would be ok with the rompers but I'm not with the 1 I currently have... should I return things I have bought.

kimbe
03-08-2007, 06:27 PM
You know, I don't think that it is your DD! I have a tall and skinny 20 month DD and EVERY single Hanna fits her differently. It is really annoying. You would think that a higher end clothing line would have more consistant cuts!

Right now she wears an 80 playdress/leggins and it fits her perfectly. She is swimming in 80 wiggle pants/jeepers creepers but 70s fit her perfect. (We had a 70 jumper that she grew out of at 10 months!) MIL just bought her an 80 t-shirt and scooter skirt and I am going to have to exchange it for a 90 because it barely fits her!

I am sure that eventually your DD will fit into the clothes that you have pre purchased. I don't have a store nearby so it is getting harder and hard for me to get things online or have MIL get them for me. Sorry that I didn't help very much, but just wanted to know that I have the same problem. Good luck!

TracyBee
03-08-2007, 06:28 PM
My DD is 3.5 and is a string bean (she weighs 28 pounds and is 42 inches tall). By height she should be in size 100 - however, everything but the playdresses just hang on her. So, I got her size 90 in tops, rompers, etc. and they fit great - a little loose, but they fit just like I like them. The rompers couldn't be a more perfect fit for her so that's what she'll be wearing the most this summer. For some reason, the playdresses seem to run smaller than other items becuase she certainly cannot wear a 90 in a playdress - too short in the sleeves and too short in length.

I can't speak for how they fit in sizes smaller than 90 as I've only begun buying them for her in the past 6 months but we're loving them now!

hardysmom
03-08-2007, 06:54 PM
One of my twins was about the same size as your daughter. She'll be 3 this month and is only about 25 lbs- which is the highest we've ever been on the growth chart!

We actually have a lot of Hanna, but you may have to try things out to see what will work. We size down. If you go just by height things will be huge. The playdress and leggings sets never looked too great. I have to size down on the leggings for these b/c they are very stretchy and big in the waist. Capri and cropped pants are great (as they are in most lines) because when you size down, the length isn't such a big deal.

I never could do the hanna zippers, but the wiggle pants worked great. Again, you may need to size down, but they are made to cuff and are gererous in length.

The "livable leggings" and cotton capri pants are staples of our wardrobe. However, my 3 yr old can still wear 80s in these. Even some of the longer dresses are too long, though they are fine on her same-height sister.

As with many brands, I really don't buy full-length pants b/c I've yet to find much that will stay up w/o either being too short or so cinched in the adjustible waist that they look silly.

hth stephanie

citymama
03-08-2007, 11:46 PM
My 1-year old is also tall and skinny. I agree with the PP that Hannas all fit differently which is annoying. What has worked for us is the wiggle pants/leggings (my DD has a little gut, so that helps) and the Opposite Stripes sets. We also like the outerwear/hats/sunhats. What hasn't worked as well are the Tshirts and onesies which are enormous and broad on her. She is now fitting the 70 playdresses, but they are still pretty wide on her. I still love Hanna though, just in terms of pure softness and quality!

Funnily enough, the mama Hannas also have the same problem - I am a skinny mama (average height though) - the XS just hangs on me like an XL, but the long sleeves are practically up to my mid-arm! Go figure.

Melanie
03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Well, I think you just have to play around with the sizes and the items. It's funny, my son is average weight (as a tot he waivored between 50 & 75th percentiles) plus we cloth diaper so Hanna was the end-all be-all to clothing for him! They still fit him fantastically.

Fast-forward to 10th percentile weight and 50th height Dd, and I feel your frustrations! She's just about into 80's now so that they do not look like clown clothing. My secret? CLOTH DIAPERS! Once she potty learns I'll be out of luck, but in the meantime they hold up her pants nicely.

=)

s7714
03-09-2007, 05:17 PM
My older DD is skinny, and the majority of HA bottoms are way too big in the waist for her. I usually skip the bottoms and just buy tops/dresses or else I have to end up taking them in to make them fit. Right now she needs a size 100 for height, but is between a size 80 and 90 in waist size. I've found a few bottoms here and there that fit her, but most are just too big.

Even with my evenly proportioned height/weight younger DD, I still come across pants that are too big or too small regardless of their marked size, so there are variations between lines.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

Melanie
03-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Okay, I just came back from my local store and I take it back, some 80's still look ridiculous on her. Unfortunately I was trying to do a matching bold striped set with Ds and the dress doesn't come smaller so it's not going to happen. =( HOWEVER, she tried on two other outfits in the paper flowers line in an 80 which are jsut big with room to grow and not humongous. So, YMMV!

I know it's tough for you guys shopping over the phone, though. Thank goodness for their free shipping on exchanges!

luv_my_girl
03-13-2007, 12:01 PM
My older DD (age 4) is very tall and very skinny (43" and 35 lbs) and she still wears mostly Hanna (size 110). But I have learned the hard way that only certain styles will fit:

Pants: The ONLY pants that really flatter her are the cotton ribbed capris. Luckily these come in a slew of colors every year! (She can also wear sweatpants, and we've never tried the liveable leggings.)

Shorts: The bike shorts and sweatshorts fit. Sometimes we size down on the flutter shorts or sweatshorts.

Skirts: Usually bad news, unless you can size down. Just too darn wide.

Tops: They all work, but usually they are baggy and we need narrower bottoms. I have good luck with the A-line smocked tops or tunic tops and the ribbed capris or playdress capri leggings.

Dresses: Our best bet. The playdresses didn't look so great at ages 1-3, but they are starting to look better at age 4. The other dresses all look GREAT.

PJs: No problem.

In general, we stick with the items that look fitted or even tight in the catalog...and they fit her fine.

Squirrel_M
03-14-2007, 03:11 PM
My DD is 3 1/2 years old and skinny. She is about 43" tall and size 110 should work for her. I got her a lot of different Hannas this year (Dresses, skirts, capris, shorts) and tried size 100 and size 110 and returned almost everything. It just looked too baggy and didn't fit her right. Even the playdresses don't fit right. I asked the SA in the Hanna Store and they told me that the customers like the baggier look.

I find however that Hanna is not at all consistent. We have Shorts size 100 from 2 years ago and they fit fine, we have capris from last fall and these fall down on her and fit her like pants. We even have a babies dress set from probably 4 years ago in a size 90 which fit her now very nice...

Monika

fattytuna
03-15-2007, 05:13 PM
DD is almost 20 months and weighs 21 lbs. She wears an 80 but depending on the item the fit differs.

The opposite stripes playdress/daydres sets fit her the best. We have the long-sleeved ones - I'm not as impressed with the pattern/color of the new short-sleeved ones so I haven't bought anything for the summer. DD has long limbs. The dress has plenty of room to grow into and the sleeves are long enough. The leggings, however, fit her just right if she just stands there. If she sits, climbs or rides in the car seat, then the leggings ride up, like they are capris-length. But it doesn't look too bad. DD has a tiny waist. When we first bought them (around Christmas time) I'd roll the waistband on the leggings once so they hold better. Now I still need to pull her leggings up from time to time. But I'm kind of used to that by now :)

This is OT but if you end up getting the socks to go with the playdress/daydress sets, get them at least one size larger as they run very small.