PDA

View Full Version : See Kai Run / Bear Feet Question

hardysmom
03-17-2007, 09:36 AM
On of my 3 yr old twins has a sensory integration disorder and currently has issues with shoes. I can't even take her into a shoe store- she panics and melts down in anticipation of being forced to try on shoes.

Yes, I remember the rude letter from the Bear Feet lady, but I just don't have the luxury to boycott. I've exhasuted too many options. They appear to have the softest uppers and might be the easiest option.

Her everyday shoes are Geox sneakers with a custom orthotic, which she wears 98% of the time. The orthotic won't fit in other shoes, but I would like to have at least one pair of sandals or dressier shoes which could be worn on the not-too-often occasion that sneakers just look goofy.

Her foot is very narrow and measures right at 8.5.... I've heard that old BF ran small, but now the sandals run big... That SKR run long (I know they run wide) and have changed sizing... Anyone have any suggestions on what sizes to order? Again, if I can even get them on her, they won't be worn often so fit doesn't have to be 100% perfect.

Stephanie

madelinesmom
03-17-2007, 03:49 PM
I can't speak to the SKR, but my daughter had some problems with the Bear Feet shoes after we got out of the really small sizes. Even though the uppers are soft it really took a long time to break them in, we were dealing with a blister on one foot that took some time to get over. I had to put a band aid on her foot and the heel of the shoe every time she wore it. We have not tried the brand in over a year just because of the expense and the fact that we like lots of shoes. But my sizing experience is that the closed toe shoes run a size small and the sandal runs pretty true.

Jane
Madeline 1/20/03
Emily 11/29/05
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

hardysmom
03-17-2007, 08:26 PM
that is good to know. thanks.

stephanie

shburks
03-18-2007, 02:29 PM
We love See Kai Run and have never had any problems with blisters or anything. DS has had two pairs of Devon (tennis shoe-type) and three pairs of the sandals (Danny and Marek). We haven't had any new SKRs since the new sizing. That said SKRs only go up to a size 9 and I would probably order the 9 to be on the safe side with sizing. DS has a chubby foot, but the sandals (when new!) have always been a bit too long; he's never had any issues with them though probably because they're so dang flexible.

Good luck. I have a good friend whose dd has SID and has serious issues with shoes and socks (HATES flip-flops, most sandals, and any socks with seams across the toe), so I understand a little of what you're experiencing.

Susan

Tondi G
03-18-2007, 05:04 PM
my DS won't wear ANYTHING besides See Kai Run Sandals. They were his first real pair of shoes after Robeez! I found a local store that still had some Danny style sandals from last season so we ran over there. While DS was playing with some toys I just walked up to him and said "lemme put on your shoes". He didn't realize they were a NEW pair of sandals (he was wearing his ratty old size 5's up until then). When we walked over to the shoe section he took one look at the racks of shoes and started to tell us he didn't like the shoes on his feet. we got him distracted with some other toy and he forgot about it. Every time we have tried shoes on him he has cried and cried like he was being beaten till the second the shoes came off. he was instantly happy when he had bare feet again! SO strange. I don't know what his issue is!!! He's lucky we live in Southern california and that we have had very little rain this year! anyways back to the topic at hand

We have nothing but good things to say about the SKR shoes. The leather is super soft and the soles are really flexible! The new styles of sandals have a closed heel (last years were open) so you probably want the new ones if she may have to wear an orthotic with them! I heard that the newer styles are a bit narrower too. The new red ones (j'cito?) are super cute in person!!!!

Good luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

snowangel
03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
My DS is very very sensitive and last summer, SKR sandals were the only sandals he would wear other than Crocs. He is super picky about his shoes. He has grown out of SKRs now, so this summer will be a challenge. I am trying Saltwater sandals this year and hoping he will like them. I would vote for SKRs. They are buttery soft and so so comfortable.

hardysmom
03-20-2007, 09:07 AM
We had a pair of Saltwaters last year... At first she hated them and never asked for them, but would tolerate them after an initial fuss. They were pretty good, though the uppers are a little rough.

Good Luck.

Stephanie