PDA

View Full Version : Organizing baby clothes

neeleymartin
03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi there.

I have been lucky enough to have been given about 10 kitchen trash bags full of clothes for the impending DS from various people. I am thrilled to have these items. I don't anticipate needing to buy clothes for at least a year. But now I am stuck with a dilemma. I need a way to organize and store. The nursery is very small (10'x10') with a small closet. I have transformed the closet to shelving with one rack for hanging. But I expect to use the shelves for back up supplies (diapers, formula, bottle liners, etc.)

Do I have this all wrong? Should I use the closet for clothes only and put the other items in the basement (quite damp there) or attic. I feel so overwhelmed with my rich clothing wardrobe. Should I part with some of the items I received?

Thanks in advance,
neeley

MamaMolly
03-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Lucky Mama, lucky baby!

What I did was to put the things I use everyday in baskets under the changing table. Our DDs room is tiny too, so I only have the crib, changing table, a rocker and a small bookshelf in there.

I have a basket for onesies, a basket for pjs (the onesies with legs, I guess!), a small basket for her socks, and a huge one for blankets and burp cloths.

The wipes warmer (a gift that is unnecessary and takes up a lot of room) is also on the shelf with the baskets. Dipes are in a bag hanging from the end of the crib (right next to the table).

In her closet I store extra diapers and wipes on the shelves. I bought one of those fabric hanging shelves at Target to store clothes for upcoming sizes. I also have her hanging clothes in order of size, so I try not to let her out grow stuff before she wears it.

In the floor under her crib I've stored toys in fabric baskets. I'm looking for more of the big baskets to go in the floor of her closet.

It helps me stay sane to have her room tidy, so I need to be able to clean it quickly. The thing I'm really missing is a hamper. I just toss her clothes in ours now, but one in her room would be nice.

Also, have you gone through the stuff? I'm sure you could weed out some. Is it used clothes? I'd go through the bags and set aside anything grimy or stained, and even if it is new I'd feel the inside of any embroidery to make sure it isn't too rough.

Good luck!

sweetpea
03-20-2007, 07:13 PM
I asked a sort of similar closet organizing question recently and got some great advice. I think it's on the next page. My only advice is to weed out as much as you can now because too much is too overwhelming. GL!

CiderLogan
03-21-2007, 07:44 AM
I'd put the bottles/formula in the kitchen, where you'll be using them. And I'm no expert, since I breastfeed, but I wouldn't think you'd have a ton of backup at any one time. But I could be wrong.

The clothes: sort by size. Take out the stuff you don't really like (and get rid of it). Put the smallest stuff in the closet/dresser, ready to use. Get the next-size-up stuff washed and ready and put it in a box in the closet. Sort the rest by size/season, label the boxes, and put them in the attic, if you think the boxes will keep away pests. Then, every season, you can go up there and find what you need. I find it easier to sort primarily by season and then roughly by size, since sizing varies so much, but you'll know for sure what season you'll need. (So, I put all 18-24-2T winter stuff together, so in fall, I go through that box and decide what will likely work that season.)
Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

MommyAllison
03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
I agree with Jenny :) buy some Rubbermaid totes and sort by size and/or season, and store the too-big stuff in the attic or basement. Happy sorting! :)

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

luv_my_girl
03-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I would sort through by size, and then by season.

I hang everything because clothes that are folded in a drawer always get overlooked until they are outgrown. I use two closet rods: One for things to wear now, and one for later.

So I would weed through the clothes, and put away things that are dirty or not your style, and anything that is the wrong size for the season (ie swimsuits that won't fit until wintertime). I would expect that this would be half of the clothes. All of this should go into bins. Keep it for now, but get rid of it as he outgrows it.