PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training and Zippers/Buttons

spanannie
03-27-2007, 01:33 PM
I feel goofy for having to ask this, since I potty trained a child 2 yrs ago, but I can't remember...

Are zippers and buttons on pants/shorts bad when potty training or on a recently potty trained child? I have several new outfits for DD with zipper and button closures on the shorts, and am wondering how that will work when I PT her.

If the clothes won't be functional for her, I need to go ahead and return them.

Thanks!

bluestar2
03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
DC potty trained several months ago and I don't recall ever thinking zippers or buttons were a hassle, and most of their pants had them. To be honest, I rarely ever undid the buttons or zippers, just pulled the pants on and off as if they were elastic waist. Now that they are undressing themselves to go, they do the same. At first, they often wore just underwear around the house until they got the hang of it.

kcandz
03-27-2007, 03:34 PM
My DC was very much into "do it myself!" during PT so elastic waists were easiest for us. DC would get frustrated at struggling with buttons/snaps/zippers, even if the pants could just be pulled down, the elastic waist made it way easier. Thus my love for Entertaining Elephants lasted ever longer....

Not sure how independent-minded your DC is when you start or get really into it, or if that is a factor for you.

spanannie
03-27-2007, 03:36 PM
She is VERY independent!

squimp
03-29-2007, 01:18 AM
I'd stick with elastic waist and knits. DD is in preschool and really needed to be completely independent. And if the pants are loose enough to pull down, they fall off of her, or she has plumber butt.

kozachka
03-29-2007, 01:58 AM
We avoided zippers and buttons at first but than I realized that DS had no problems with them, he would simply pull his pants down. And he was and still is a very independent child. So if you love the shorts that you already have, save yourself the trouble of reurning them, your DD will be just fine.