PDA

View Full Version : Keen sandals alternative for 4 yo

ppshah
03-27-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm looking for brown sandals for my 4 yo. We had Keen's last year and I liked them, but they were a pain to get on. Now he's putting his shoes on himself and I don't want to go back to helping him. The new style has velcro, does that help? The shoes will be used o nthe beach/get wet.

He has ecco shoes right now and we really like those. Other suggestions? Thanks!

ppshah
03-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm considering these:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/25094404/c/6.html

egoldber
03-27-2007, 05:35 PM
I bought these for Sarah but I haven't committed, LOL!

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/22913623/c/72056.html

(They come in "boy colors" too, and were MUCH cheaper at SR.)

jhmom
03-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I just bought a pair of the "new" style with the velcro. I have to say I do think they are much easier to get on. My almost 3 year old put them on by himself on vacation- I was shocked. You might check them out before you give up on the Keen idea. I think the Keens are such a great, versatile shoe. Good luck!

Kerri

leslieu
03-27-2007, 08:44 PM
We also had Keens for DS last season. What a pain they were to put on! We finally gave up after two months. And ended up getting him the Gap version of the Timberland sandal. They were so easy to put on that DS learned to put them on and off by himself. I am considering getting him another pair this year.

But those Teva sandals might work nicely. Thanks for posting. I've been eyeing new sandals for DS. I want to get something before his size is all sold out.

Leslie

ppshah
03-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Thank you!

Those Tevas are nice, I will check them out.

Do the new Keen's come in the brown? I only buy DS one pair of sandals-and they function both for dressier events as well as play/water play, since in the summer you never know when one event might become another-LOL!

Were you happy with the Timberland's?

hardysmom
03-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I believe the new ones are in one of the brown's. I think (based upon my kids 3 pairs) that the ones with the nylon straps all have the velcro closure while the ones with the more waterproof plasticy straps don't... My our purple and periwinkle both have the velcro. Our red doesn't, nor did the "hydro blue" dd tried on this morning.

I think there are 2 browns. Don't hold me to this, but I think the "wet sand" didn't have velcro and the other one did.

Last year, after getting a pair for myself, I found that you really have to size up in Keens. The footbed is still comfy, even if it looks a little large at the heel and they are much easier to get on.

My dd isn't on the spectrum, but she has a sensory integration disorder and is EXTREMELY controlling about tactile stuff. Shoes are a major issue for us. I finally got a pair of keens on her today and after our routine bout of screaming, she calmed down and actually wore them all day. I was shocked. She freaked on the Tevas and Timberlands.

Chaco is also doing toddler sizes. I love them, but alas...

stephanie

ppshah
03-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I ended up with these:

http://www.striderite.com/images/us/local/products/detail/106434_450.jpg

The Keen's only come in red or black- otherwise they would have worked. These provided a bit more coverage and were cheaper than the tevas otherwise those were my second choice.