PDA

View Full Version : Vaporizer/Humidifier Help

spencersmommy
11-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Our DS has his first cold! We bought a Holmes Cool Mist Humidifier. We're not sure if that is the best to use, any opinions? My DH is wondering b/c when you put your hand over it, you don't feel any moisture. We remember the ones from our youth and you could feel the mist. Just wondering if we should return...Would the warm mist one be better? Thanks for your help!
Amy
Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03

LisaMom2Allie
11-02-2003, 11:29 PM
I am wondering the same thing. Allie has her first cold and I am not sure which kind to buy.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

KMommie
11-03-2003, 12:25 AM
We started out with a Vicks Vaporizer (bought at 3 am when DD came down with a cold in the middle of the night). Later on, I remembered that I had bought a Slant/Fin warm mist humidifier for my allergies, and we dug that out, and we love it. On both of those I can feel the moisture, and sometimes even see it come out. I think you should be able to feel the moisture, but I do recall that someone here on the boards mentioning a humidifier that did a great job but didn't "spit" out any moisture. The only way to tell for sure would probably to get one of those things that measure humidity. Here's a link that has some recommendations:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=6051&mesg_id=6051&listing_type=search

HTH,

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

justlearning
11-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Maybe I misunderstood her, but I thought that my ped recommended a warm mist humidifier for general use in our dry climate but recommended using a cool mist humidifier if he has a cold/croup. Has anyone else heard this?

lynn726
11-05-2003, 05:29 PM
My husband bought the Honeywell Warm Moisture Humidifier when our son got his first cold 2 weeks ago. It has a high and low setting and you can see the steam. It has a medicine cup attached, but when we bought the Hot Steam Liquid, the box said to add it directly into the water. We did this and it worked great. If you do use it on high just be careful to keep it away from the wall and not too high off the ground because our ceiling had a wet spot from all of the steam. The ceiling is fine, but it is something that we will be aware of in the future when we use it. His 2 month appt. was last week and the doctor said that we got the right kind of humidifier.

peanut4us
11-05-2003, 05:36 PM
My ped said that cool or warm doesn't matter. We use an "ultrsonic" humidifier because they are supposed to be quieter. We bought it at Walmart.

californiamom
11-05-2003, 06:18 PM
Question: we have a central humidifier in our house. Do we still need to buy one for baby's room?

Thanks!

DDTMom
11-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Love our Slant/Fin too. Pain to maintain but makes a noticeable difference. Our 4mon old daughter doesn't sneeze in the a.m. whenwe use it, and helps w/my allergies as well.
-DDTMom

AngelaS
11-05-2003, 09:24 PM
My ped recommends a cool mist, simply because the warm mist ones can cause burns. That said, when her own child was sick, she borrowed my warm mist one! ROTFL!

I have a kenmore warm mist one from Sears that on high will make wallpaper peel. LOL I just last weekend bought a small one from Target and it works AWESOME too---it's VERY quiet!

Oh, and the ones at Target are on sale this week! :D

houseof3boys
11-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Ryan has some sniffles this week too and sounds very nasally. We put our Kenmore humidifier, that I usually use in the winter when the heat makes everything so dry in the house, in his room and boy does that thing add moisture! It is a wet heat and you can really feel the difference when you walk into his room. We have the temperature gauge in there and it makes it 4-5 degrees warmer in his room.

I add grapefruit seed extract to the water to keep the bacteria down after reading about how effective it is. I just add a few drops to the water every time I refill it. http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:yf9BRYaLPKMJ:www.nutriteam.com/index2.html+gse+%2B+humidifier&hl=en&ie=UTF-8