PDA

View Full Version : What is with the industrial-strength packaging on toys?

kristine_elen
11-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Don't you hate it when you bring home a toy and it's so hard to get out of the box with all the weirdly configured cardboard and hard plastic twist ties that you end up ruining the box? My new theory is that the toy companies do this so that if you end up not liking the toy, you are less inclined to return it. Grrrr. (We just got a Fisher Price "intelli-table" and I think my son just learned a few swear words as I was trying to get it out of the package.)

starrynight
11-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Yup! I know the swearing while taking it out of the box myself LOL. It's the worst at b-days or xmas when you have more than one thing to wrestle out of the box, by the time your done your fingers hurt!

jmofarrill
11-12-2003, 11:18 AM
How about those thick, hard plastic packages that you have to pull out the kitchen shears for? I ALWAYS cut myself on the plastic.

pritchettzoo
11-12-2003, 02:50 PM
LOL! I haven't opened too many toys for DD yet, but I always hated it when I was little--remember Bondage Barbie? I thought it was strange that her ankles, neck, and waist were strapped in tight enough to withstand a natural disaster.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

houseof3boys
11-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Those are the absolute worst. I actually cut myself on the plastic last time!

lizamann
11-13-2003, 09:45 AM
I hate that! Someone told me it's to make it harder to steal the parts.

That said, the Tiny Love Gyminee is not packed like that, and guess what - mine doesn't have the elephant toy!! I didn't even know it comes with an elephant until I saw it at a friend's house. Boo hoo...that's the best one, they tell me. My friend advised me to go to the store and steal one from another package, but I won't be taking her advice on that!

stillplayswithbarbies
11-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Call the company and tell them. Tiny Love has awesome customer service and they will probably send you one.

I got the Arch and the music didn't play on one toy, I called, they sent me a replacement right away.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

deborah_r
11-13-2003, 12:40 PM
I hate those! They don't even offer a way that you SHOULD be able to get it open. Although I can never open Kraft Mac & Cheese with that little push-finger tab and in school I could only open those tiny cartons of milk about 50% of the time. So even if they gave me a way, I'd probably still have to cut it up!

parkersmama
11-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Oooh! I hate the way they package things these days! When Parker was born, it wasn't nearly so bad but it's gotten worse and worse. And, the older your children get the worse it is because they stand over your shoulder and can't understand why you can't get it open faster but *do* understand the curse words!!! LOL!

nola
11-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Thats why we need to keep the leather gardening gloves and pruning sheers on hand. Hang 'em on the wall in the kitchen so they are always handy. Thats where my SIL keeps the chainsaw, but I really think that is a bit of an overkill.
N

colleenfs
11-17-2003, 08:49 PM
All of the Fisher Price Little People sets are like this. It makes me not want to buy them, cute as they may be.

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02