PDA

View Full Version : Fun CDs for in the car?

alleyoop
11-20-2003, 11:24 AM
Any recommendations for good music CDs for toddlers? We already have one of the Wee Sing CDs, which DS likes... but poor mommy needs some variation! I have plenty of classical music, but DS seems to prefer the vocals. What does everyone listen to in the car?

Thanks Y'all!

Momof3Labs
11-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Raffi! His songs are lots of fun and very singable!

new_mommy25
11-20-2003, 12:10 PM
We bought this on the advice of my best friend whose daughter can't live without it. DS is a little young but we still listen to it. It's a fun CD.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000Q2D/qid=1069346835/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6251736-4463329?v=glance&s=music

MinnieMouse
11-20-2003, 03:35 PM
We listen to lots of different music. Dd (now 2yo) LOVES the Little People CDs from Fisher Price. We have...
Songs and Games for the Road,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067QAD/qid=1069358192/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/102-5198900-9164944?v=glance&s=music

Sing Along Songs,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000067Q3I/qid=1069358192/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-5198900-9164944

and Songs from the Farm.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000067Q94/qid=1069358192/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/102-5198900-9164944

There aren't many reviews on line for them there..but dd loves all three...she calls them Little People, Other One Little People and New Little People....in the order we go them (road, sing along and farm) LOL. DON'T get them from Amazon....we got most of ours at Walmart. They don't usually have them in the music section, but an endcap in either (or) the baby section or toys. Walmart sells them for $9.99. I've also seen them at TRU...can't remember how much $$ they are though.

Another one of our faves...both dd's and mine (dh tolerates it) is Philadelphia Chickens by Sandra Boynton. She's the same one that does all those great board books. I can't say enough good things about this cd. The music styles vary greatly and are sung by all kinds of unusual people (Kevin Bacon, Eric Stolz, Laura Linney, Scott Bakula among others). I love all the songs...Cows(by The Seldom Herd), Philadelphia Chickens, Belly Button, oh the list goes on and on.

Here are two links...the first is Sandra Boynton's page...the second the Amazon link.

http://www.boyntonfordmusic.com/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761126368/qid=1069358642/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-5198900-9164944?v=glance&n=507846

We have lots of other stuff too....Sesame Street CDs...Elmopalooza, Platinum Hits, Silly Songs, Alphabet, etc; A Wiggle CD, Buzz Buzz by Laurie Berkner....plus a few more can't remember them all.

HTH

Christine

amp
11-20-2003, 04:25 PM
I don't know if toddlers like this music or not, but when I worked at a daycare, I could tolerate and secretly loved the Disney CD's. The 1 yr olds I worked with liked a few of the songs, but were so busy much of the time that they didn't pay much attention to the music that was playing. There was a series of about 5 of them that had songs from the movies. The covers of the CD's have the mouses ears on them. The newer version has sparkly ears. Mine didn't, so I can't vouch for the new ones, but it appears they just rearranged song order and put in some new ones.

ddmarsh
11-20-2003, 05:31 PM
We love:

Free to be Me and You (still available and now released on CD)
Sharon, Lois and Bram - anything of theirs
For Our Children and For Our Children Too
several of the Disney collections
any of the Sesame Street collections
and yes even I have grown to enjoy the Barney cd's :)

C99
11-20-2003, 05:50 PM
I love Tom Chapin's stuff. My parents discovered it when my sister was little, so I went through my college years singing it. I got it for Nate because I know it and like it, so I'll put it in and sing to it. I just couldn't get into things like 102 Silly Songs for Kids, etc.

Jen in Chicago
11-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Ralph's World has some songs that appeal to the adults, for example M-O-M-M-Y-NEEDS-C-O-F-F-E-E-D-A-D-D-Y-NEEDS C-O-F-F-E-E

Our nieces and nephews love Ralph. They also like their Disney songs CD's. Another favorite is "Free to Be Me." All are on Amazon.

KimberleyDawn
11-21-2003, 09:48 AM
We *ALL* LOVE Raffi!!! I agree 100% with this suggestion!
Kim

zuzu
11-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Some have already been mentioned, but these are some mom and dad enjoy too:

No! (They Might be Giants--music for the whole family)
For the Kids (modern artists sing some classic and fun kids' songs)

Free to be You and Me
For Our Children & For Our Children Too
Philadelphia Chickens

everyone has some great suggestions--looking forward to adding to our collection!
melissa

Piglet
11-21-2003, 10:32 AM
I have to put my vote in for Philadelphia Chickens. We listen to it, hum it, sing it, love it! The Cows song is awesome, although I originally bought it for the Bellybutton song (DS is still obsessed with his). We now find ourselves singing all of the songs and the book is really cute too. It has not gotten on my nerves yet and we have had it for over a year. I do warn you that once you hear Cows, you will find yourself singing every variation you can think of - we now sing "toes, we're remarkable toes" when DS is barefoot, "pants, we're remarkable pants" when DS is getting dressed... well you get the picture - it is totally addictive!

MinnieMouse
11-21-2003, 11:37 AM
I just wanted to add some thoughts. My sister and I were talking about this just this morning. Bethany is now 2yo and we've been playing music for her since she was in the womb (I listen to cd's on my computer at work...she really liked Brian Setzer:D) and we continued in the car all the time as well as at home.

Dh and I come from musical families and we met while performing with a youth group that was partly an intensive music program. It is important to both of us that Beth is exposed to and enjoys music. She turned 2yo this summer and in the last few months we have really noticed (as well as other family members and friends) that Bethany has a great sense of rhythm. She keeps better time clapping, tapping her feet, marching or dancing than I did at 14yo! She is constantly singing and now makes up her own songs as well as the standards.

I think this is because how much we listen to music...it's not only "her" music that we listen to...although since she's been older she "requests" specific stuff more often :-).

If we are in the car (which we seem to be in a lot!) we are either singing on our own or listening/singing to a cd. It's to the point that we had to duplicate some of her favorites so they are in BOTH of our cars!!

I just wanted to chime in on our results so far in exposing Beth to a wide variety and A LOT of music.

HTH

Christine