PDA

View Full Version : Loaded post on dvd/vhs, auto dvd player, baby einstein...

brigmaman
12-01-2003, 11:58 AM
1. We are finally getting a dvd player this Christmas and are working on building up a collection for 15-month old ds. I am looking to buy the 2 world animal dvds or tapes from Baby Einstein. I saw the vol 1 and vol 2 Einsein sets at BJ's pretty inexpensive, but ds is afraid of some of the Newton/Einsein videos we rented from the library (LOL, I know what you are thinking, the videos are pretty benign, but ds is easily frightened!) He does, however love Neighborhood Animals. For this reason, I think I only want the two world animal dvds or videos. So where have you seen/bought these videos that was a good deal?
2. I am also pretty sure we are going to get a dvd player for the car as well. What do you all think of this? Ds has never liked the car and up until he was about 12 months, he screamed on car trips. I just don't want to create a situation where he asks for a video every time we get in the car. As it is now, he "reads" books in the car and that amuses him for a little while.
3. My last question is what other series of videos do you recommend for this age- 16+ months? We have mostly sesame street and ds LOVES animals and music, and doesn't love cartoons.
Thanks! :)

egoldber
12-01-2003, 02:29 PM
What I would do is first try recording things from the TV and see what he likes. Ones to try are:

Barney (I know, but she really likes it)
Teletubbies
Jay Jay the Jetplane (on PBS)
Maisy (on the Noggin channel if you get it)
Blues Clues
The Wiggles
Bear in the Big Blue House
Stanley

Also, try your local movie rental place. Other series that our Blockbuster has include Kipper and Spot.

I adore the Signing Time videos (www.signingtime.com) and most kids really like them. Now that DD is a bit older, she actually likes to watch "real" Disney movies.

I have a DVD player in my minivan and I honestly can't imagine not having one for long driving trips. My DD DOES want a video in the car all the time. I can tell her no for short trips, but any trip over 20 minutes gets a video. But I know lots of other people who only use it for long car trips. Its all in what you get your kid used to.

HTH,

Rachels
12-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Beth, is your DVD player built in? I'm assuming that to use a portable DVD player, the baby has to be forward-facing. Am I right? I have several long drives coming up with my car-hating child, and videos would REALLY help us out. Sigh.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
12-01-2003, 07:28 PM
It is built in. We had it installed at the dealership as an option when we bought the van. There are after market ones you can get, but pretty much all of them would require a child to be forward facing before you could use them.

stillplayswithbarbies
12-01-2003, 10:46 PM
I have heard of people using the mirrors that you use to look at your rear facing child, but aiming them so that the baby can see the DVD screen that is behind their head.

I just got a portable DVD player for Jake for Christmas with a 6.5 inch screen, and we plan to use that for Logan to watch on our drive to or from Florida. I think we can strap it to the headrest of the seat in front of her with tie-down straps. Duct tape if I get desperate. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nigele
12-03-2003, 12:58 PM
We bought World Animals and Neighborhood Animals at Target for $14.99 each. Tom LOVES them both. His other favorite videos are Baby Neptune, The Wiggles (Yummy, Yummy) and Teletubbies.