PDA

View Full Version : high chairs and harness

memedee
12-08-2003, 10:44 AM
How important do you think a five point harness is for an eight month old?

ScrapNancy
12-08-2003, 10:54 AM
I think it's important even with my almost 7 month old....it keeps her from wiggling and flopping forward while I am trying to get the tray on and off. As she gets big enough to try to stand in the chair it will be even more key I'm sure!

Nancy
SAHM to Bridget Rose, 5-9-03

Marisa6826
12-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Well, here's one of my recent experiences. Although Sophie's going to be a year old Wednesday, she still can't stand on her own.

A couple of weeks ago, I turned my back to get a washcloth. When I turned back around, Sophie was standing backward in her chair watching me.

I had never strapped her in, thinking she wouldn't do anything. Had I not turned around at that moment, she definitely would have taken a header out of her chair.

Please strap your babe in. The older they get, the more wiggly and inventive they become!

-m

Karenn
12-08-2003, 01:25 PM
You know it's funny how times change. I was thumbing through a parenting book from the 70's by Brazelton and he actually stated that it was NOT a good idea to strap a child into a high chair. He said that the child would and should learn that the chair is a place for sitting. I'm not necessarily advocating this, but I thought it was interesting. I wonder if he'd say the same thing now given today's emphasis on safety?

My high chair came with a belt to strap in the baby and I've found that to be adequate restraint for Colin. He started in the chair at 6 months and it still works now at 18 months. I will say that the time between removing the tray and getting Colin out of his chair is minimal (seconds) so that's probably one reason why I haven't had as much need as others have. Also, my chair seems to have a lower tray than many highchairs so there just isn't room for him to stand up with the tray on.

egoldber
12-08-2003, 02:23 PM
I think it depends on the 8 month old. My DD is not a wiggler or climber, and the high chair we had (a hand me down) only had a 3 point harness. That worked fine for us. But I know lots of others moms whose kids NEED a 5 point harness!

HTH,

Kimberly H
12-08-2003, 05:57 PM
My 15-year old looks at Mia's 5-pt harness on her stroller and calls it her NASCAR harness!

kristine_elen
12-08-2003, 09:44 PM
We only have a lap belt and it's been fine. I leave the tray on most of the time, too, and while I don't really consider the tray a safety feature, it does prevent him from leaning very far forward or wiggling too much.

AngelaS
12-09-2003, 07:32 AM
My highchair has no belt, 3 pt, 5pt or otherwise. When I was first using it, I made sure to have everything I needed when I sat down to feed baby. Now that she's 19 months, we've had a few 'discussions' on the need to stay seated in the chair. For the most part tho, she knows she has to sit to eat and if she tries to get up, she's done. :D

amp
12-09-2003, 11:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, my FP Healthy Care Deluxe chair has straps that go over the shoulders and fasten into the plastic fastener at the crotch/belly area. That isn't a 5 pt. harness I don't think, but it holds him very snuggly.