PDA

View Full Version : ot: sewing machine recommendations

starrynight
12-16-2003, 12:40 AM
Anyone sew? I can't decide on a sewing machine, I want to spend $200 or less for a basic sewing machine, I could care less about tons of embroidery etc. I have heard mixed reveiws on so many brands, singer old ones are great new one from walmart etc suck yada yada. I have herd mostly good things about kenmores so I might go that route...

I have been also looking at euro pros because the gears etc are all metal not plastic so I'm assuming it will last longer. Anyone try this brand?

I do know how to use a sewing machine and my main want for one is to make diapers, slings stuff like that and then curtains and simple stuff for the house and kids.

I have considered buying a good quality used one from a sewing shop but dh wants me to buy new, no idea why as he won't be using it LOL.

redhookmom
12-16-2003, 01:00 AM
I have one bit of advice. Go to a sewing machine store and actually try out the machines. I use to sew occassionally but then I "upgraded" to a new machine and got rid of my old one. The new one is so tedious to thread I never use it. I miss my old one!!

Jessica

heidi_timms
12-16-2003, 02:36 AM
Costco sells at least one machine that is about $150 I think. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I'm sure that it's a pretty decent one since Costco buys in bulk.

I have a Kenmore that I use only occassionally for small projects. It was about $299 at Sears though. It was a Christmas gift a few years ago. I like it a lot and it's easy to use. Sears does have sales. I would check after the holidays.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

egoldber
12-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Ansolutely! Take fabric and thread and sew on them. Only buy a machine that you are comfortable using. Think about things like the ease of threading, changing bobbins, winding bobbins, changing needles, etc.

I really recommend getting a basic oolder machine from a better brand. The reality is that cheaper, newer nachines are not as durable as older ones.

HTH,

Bethann31
12-16-2003, 12:18 PM
I have 14 machines, including 2 sergers, so I have looked around quite a bit. I have had a couple of Kenmores that I have loved. I would definitely buy another. I also like White Machines, but I wouldn't buy one of those that you see in a kiosk at Hancock Fabrics. Unfortunately, for $200 you are not going to get a lot of machine, but it doesn't sound as if you want a lot of machine. For what you want to sew, you really don't need it either. My best advice to you, though, is to stay away from the low end machines sold at WalMart, etc. They are such low quality and the amount of frustration you may feel will far outweigh the joy of creating something yourself. I would be glad to help you more if you need it.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

starrynight
12-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Beth (egoldber) I know that reality, that is why I'm trying to convince dh about getting an older one.I don't know what he has against a used one ???
Not to mention I might be able to find a really high end machine alot cheaper since it's older. My dream is to get a really good one with all the bells and embroidery etc, but for now I will just get something we can afford that will do the basic projects I want to do right now.

Beth, 14 machines and 2 sergers?? Wow can I come play at your house LOL. ;) I am going to go to sears and mess with some of the floor model kenmores and also hancock fabrics, (my only choice around here I think) and see what they have. And after all that I'm still gonna check out the used ones at the local sewing machine shop and see what happens :). Hopefully I can decide on something!

egoldber
12-16-2003, 02:39 PM
OK, I will now freely admit that I have 4 sewing machines and a serger! LOL!!!

>I have 14 machines, including 2 sergers,

Momof3Labs
12-16-2003, 03:53 PM
Do you know anyone (think 60's-70's age people) who might have one to get rid of? I got a great quality, gently used machine from a family friend - she just gave it to me since she wanted to get rid of it but couldn't sell it for much. My SIL got one as a gift from a woman she worked with (same situation - wanted to get rid of it, couldn't sell it for much). My mom has a large collection of sewing machines (5 + a serger, I believe), several of them were also given to her. Lots of people (especially that age) have sewing machines but haven't used them a lot - maybe your DH wouldn't mind a used one if it were free!

Bethann31
12-16-2003, 04:28 PM
And I have to admit that I don't actually sew on all of mine. I really only use 4 or 5 and the sergers. A couple are true antiques and don't work at all, and a few are "novelty" machines that I have bought for the collectible value and they are just displayed.

That said, I do love my Singer XL-1000, but I have asked Santa for a Viking Designer 1 ESS for Christmas, but at $5000, I'm not holding my breath.

I have the previous version of this machine, which I love. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02019365000

I still use it frequently and it does a fabulous buttonhole. I know it is more than you want to spend, but it does give you someplace to start. If you decide to go to Sears, I would stay away from the Singers there, which tend to be very low quality.

Beth

Jen in Chicago
12-16-2003, 05:06 PM
I sew straight lines. My machine has been used for some pillows and decorating burp clothes. I received as a gift one from Sears. It is the one a step up from the basic model according to my Mom who bought it for me. Works well so far!

jec2
12-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Can you tell me about your sergers? I have sort of been scoping them out on ebay but know nothing about them. It seems there are cheaper ones (< $100) then more expensive ones ($200-$500). Any idea what a beginner ought to look for who just wants to make simple things with serged edges?

egoldber
12-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Definitely get one that is easy to thread. These things can be absolute BEASTS to thread!

redeemed
12-17-2003, 03:22 AM
I bought the Simplicity SA2200 Creative Spirit Plus on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000648AG/qid=1071645287/br=2-4/ref=br_ts_slwth_th_4/002-7774495-2737611?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=510250

I will say, I'm only a beginner sewer, but so far, it's really been helpful for my simple projects and it has some cool features(all metal parts, lots of cool presser feet). For the price, I think I got a lot more than I would have anywhere else, plus, they're running a rebate right now that give you $30 to spend on something else at Amazon.com. Add to that, free shipping and no taxes ...

Cheers.

starrynight
12-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Lori- my dh would love anything free LOL. I don't know anyone off the top of my head but I guess it couldn't hurt to ask around.

Redeemed (sorry don't know your first name) thanks for the link! It seems to be reviewed pretty well and the free ship plus rebate sounds good. I will definitly think about that one.

peanut4us
12-17-2003, 07:14 PM
Beth and Bethann, what on earth do you ladies sew? I have 1 sewing machine and 1 serger. And I love them both. I am considering (not seriously yet) upgrading from my current sewing machine to a schmancier one. What's funny is when I bought it 3 years (almost 4) ago... DH said... I'd rather you shell out another $100-200 now and get something you will REALLY like than want to change later. *blush* SO I bought a Bernina 130... I got a rocking deal because I didn't know the 131 was going to come out within 2 months. Grrrr. If I would have bought the 140 patchwork edition, i think I would still be satisfied today.

I love my 130... i've upgraded a couple things on it and it sews like a dream. BUT I would kill for automatic needle stop down and the extra arm area you get from a Bernina 153. Sigh.

I didn't go wrong with my serger though. It's exactly what I need and I make a habit of always thinking when I go to sew anything "can this be serged instead". it is such a time saver!

egoldber
12-17-2003, 08:28 PM
LOL! Well, I have something of an addiction for machines.

I have a Bernina 1130 (which was almost top of the line when I got it 11 years ago). It is an AMAZING machine, not a lot of fancy stitches but sew so beautifully it is just such a pleasure to use. I'll never get rid of it!

But the 1130 is a bit heavy (as are all Berninas) so I then bought an older Elna Diva (I think its about 15 years old) that is much lighter to take to classes.

I then decided I wanted to do embroidery, but couldn't bring myself to pay for the Bernina 180, so I got a Babylock Esante. ANd honestly, its nice, but its not a Bernina. So when I got a HUGE bonus at work, I then got the Bernina 180 that I wanted all along. *blush* That taught me a BIG (and rather expensive) lesson about buying what you really want the first time!

FYI, I have sewn on the 150/153 many times in various classes, and they are just suberb machines. I don't think you'd regret upgrading. I don't think I could sew without auto needle down! Or without the free hand arm system!

peanut4us
12-18-2003, 12:20 PM
So interesting to know you have a 180. Everyone that I have talked with who has that says they still love it and wouldn't upgrade to the 200. Working in the tech industry, I think I'd rather be shot than buy a freaking sewing machine based on Microsoft technology... I don't think I could handle the blue screen of death in the middle of a stitch!

I took a machine quilting class just last night and found out an interesting tidbit of information... my 130 has the same neck length as the 153. This whole time I thought the 153 was so much bigger in the neck than mine... well it turns out that the old line (130, 140, 150, etc) all had the 153 neck. It was when they came out with the 125, 135, and 145 that they SHORTENED those necks. So, since I have a 130, it's the same as the 153. WHICH is HUGE for me. I mean, really, I wanted a 153 for 2 main things 1)auto needle stop down, 2)bigger neck ... the ladder stitch, hand quitling stitch, and feather stitch (among others) would be nice to have because my machine has nada in the way of stitches. But they aren't necessary at this juncture.

So I left my class (which was SO much fun) feeling so much happier with my current machine. So I think i'm going to hang on to it for a while.

Do you like embroidery as much as you thought you would? What kinds of sewing do you like to do? I'm asking because I have always thought that I would never be "into" embroidery. But sometimes I wonder!

Ooh... and I agree about the knee lift. DH got that upgrade for me a few years ago for Christmas. I CANNOT do without it!

egoldber
12-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Honestly, I have never gotten into the embroidery as much as I thought I would. My main sewing is:

quilting
dresses for Sarah
cloth dolls and doll clothes

I love all the extra features and capabilities of the 180. But it definitely feels different than other Berninas (rotary bobbin vs the oscillating bobbin, and the wider stitch capabilities). So it took me a little while to get used to the feel. but now I really like it. I mainly use the 1130 for quilt piecing and doll stuff. I use the 180 for machine quilting and garment construction.

The 1130 has the shorter bed length, and I do like the longer bed on the 180. It makes a big difference when machine quilting.

Bethann31
12-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Well, as long as we're listing: My main machine is a Singer XL-1000. I thought I would get into embroidery as well, but I never really have. My older daughter was never into frou frou and she didn't like things embroidered on her clothes. Now with Katherine, it may be another story entirely..... I also use my Kenmore 19153, which several years ago was the top of the line Kenmore, made by Janome. I still love this machine and use it frequently. I also use my Janome Jem which is 3/4 size machine when traveling. I have a Singer Izek, which was that funky machine that operates on a Gameboy, a Singer 99K, a Singer treadle, a Singer handcrank, an old Riccar in a cabinet) that was my mom's and does a great straight stitch, and a few more antiques. I just picked up an Elna Supermatic recently for $5.00 at a store where a lady didn't know what a gem she had. No accessories though, so I'm on an ebay search for cams. I also have the Bernina 1300?D serger (may be a 1200, it's the one with the coverstitch) and a Kenmore 2/3/4 thread serger that is always set up for overlocking. I don't do home dec and I don't quilt, (of course that doesn't stop me from buying LOTS of quilting fabric and patterns, just in case) but I do sew clothing, and I have made 2 slings lately. I am working on shopping cart covers, but right now my sewing/ computer room is a mess and I can't work in there until I get it cleaned up.

I thought about the Bernina 200, and my husband is fascinated with the whole Windows thing, but I have decided on the Viking Designer 1 for my next machine. I don't think it's coming for Christmas, but my 20th birthday is in February, so we'll see.

Beth