PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put baby to watch videos once sitting up?

713abc
12-16-2003, 03:41 PM
My 6.5 mo old DS is now sitting up and crawling and I'm not sure what to do with him when I sit him down to watch a video. Up until now I've put him in his bouncy seat, but I'm afraid he may topple over now. He doesn't watch video's more than 2 times per week, so it's not a very frequent occurance. I guess I could sit with him on my lap in the glider, but I like using the time to get some things done around the house.

Any suggestions?

peasprout
12-16-2003, 03:50 PM
I use the megasaucer, even now that DD is 13 months. I feel safer knowing she can't go anywhere. You could also try a highchair!

Momof3Labs
12-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Can you just set him on a blanket in a baby-proofed area and let him watch/crawl/play to his heart's content? That's what we did. Once he became mobile (at 5.5-6 months), Colin didn't have the patience to be confined to something to watch a video, and still doesn't - he now prefers to watch them standing up!

Or put the pack n play in front of the TV - they can still see through the mesh but have some freedom to move around.

justlearning
12-16-2003, 03:58 PM
We're facing the same situation, having just retired the bouncy seat. What I did yesterday was prop him up against a teddy bear chair that he has and then put a pillow on each side of him. He was able to sit up for most of the video without falling over. Sometimes he would start to fall a little backwards, but he would be able to pull himself back up because he was only falling against the teddy chair and not all the way to the floor. You could have the same effect by stacking pillows behind him as well as one on each side.

I should note that our television is fairly low down, so this may not work if your TV is up high (out of his viewing range if sitting on the floor).

Good luck! It's sad to say good-bye to the bouncy seat, isn't it?!

brigmaman
12-16-2003, 05:26 PM
We roll our high chair into the living room when ds watches a movie. I can't remember exactly when we started doing this, but it has really been our only option. Since our high chair reclines, ds can get comfortable and sometimes falls asleep watching a video. Now that ds is older, we have a child-size chair for him and he usually just roams while movies are on.

Karenn
12-16-2003, 06:04 PM
I usually let Colin roam free when I put a video on but he usually chooses to sit in his First Years Fold n Go booster chair. We started keeping it on the floor in the living room at one point and he started sitting in it. He loves it and runs for it whenever we turn on Signing Time.

egoldber
12-16-2003, 08:33 PM
This is what I did with my DD as well, jus put her on a blanket on the floor in the general vicinity of the TV, LOL!

hwin708
12-16-2003, 11:34 PM
I ordered one of these:
http://www.bonnybabies.com/bumbobabysitter.htm
I won't be able to try it for a few months, but it looks great, and a friend who has it loves it. I think I found one person here who mentioned having one as well.
BTW, I ordered mine off ebay, where the yellow ones can go for dirt cheap.