View Full Version : Kleen Kanteen
06-01-2007, 07:40 AM
I know this probably doesn't go here, but a bunch of you guys ordered the Kleen Kanteen a while back, and I wanted to hear reviews. I am debating on this vs. the Sigg bottles.
Shelley mama to Skyler and Kaian
Love my boys!!
06-01-2007, 07:49 AM
I bought 2 and really like them. I have had a Sigg in the past- it wasn't very durable. DS is a bit of a brute with his things, and it got horrible dented and it looked terible. Plus, the lining over the aluminum makes me a little nervous.
One of his KK has a little dent, but nothing like the Sigg. THe only downside I've found is that it gets so cold when you put liquid in it. I know some people bought neoprene covers to take care of that.
06-01-2007, 11:05 AM
ITA with all she said. I have a Built NY cover for my bottle that works great BUT I just found a GREAT deal on neoprene covers for the kids size 12oz one. Target dollar sport has 2-packs of can cozies for $1 and the fit the 12oz sippy/small bottle perfectly! THey are slightly thinner and don't seem as sturdy as the Builty NY ones, but for 50 cents a piece (vs $12-15 for the BNY ones) you can rotate them out if they fall apart. I have one on DS's KK and he loves it - no more cold hands! Plus it protect the KK from dents and protects my wood floors ;)
06-01-2007, 02:02 PM
We like the Klean Kanteen. They seem a little harder to get the water out versus the born free sippy cups, and they are harder for my 11 month old to pick up (and also harder for him to throw on the floor). Thanks for the idea on the cozzies. The KK do get cold.
06-01-2007, 03:28 PM
We have a few of these and really like them. We use the ones with the sports cap tops most often. They leak sometimes out of the sports cap tops if they're on their sides but the screw cap ones don't leak at all. We've never tried the Sigg bottles so can't compare.
We have both Kleen Kanteen and Sigg water bottles. DH is an avid backpacker and hiker so we have done lots of research on water bottles and water purifiers. Also, after learning how polycarbonate plastics/Lexan (ex. Avent Bottles, Nalgene Bottles) leach Bisphenol-A into liquids we searched for the healthiest bottles on the market. After much research Sigg and Kleen Kanteen bottles seemed to be the best choice.
After owning both for over 2 years I can easily say Sigg is better than Kleen Kanteen on almost every feature I can think of to compare.
1. Sigg bottles are designed and manufactured with a significantly higher level of quality assurance than Klean Kanteen bottles. For example, the tops on the Sigg bottles have fine precision threading for a very secure and tight fit to the bottle. In stark contrast, Kleen Kanteen bottles have loosely fitting tops and their threading on the bottles usually doesn’t match well to the bottle’s threading. Also, the o-ring on the KK’s tops can’t always compensate for the looseness which can allow the KK bottles to leak quite a lot. KK’s metal tops fit better than the plastic tops (sport tops).
2. Sigg preserves the taste of the water better than KK. The water from the Sigg bottles even after sitting outside of the refrigerator for a day still tastes pure. KK adds a slight metallic taste to water. KK’s stainless steel is very good but Sigg’s enamel coated aluminum is definitely better.
3. Both bottles seem to do a great job preventing leaching into a beverage as they both use non leaching polypropylene #5 plastic, but because KK gives water a slight metallic taste I think Sigg is slightly better than KK on this point too.
4. Sigg Kidds bottles have a better top cap to protect the drinking area from dirt and foreign matter.
5. Both Sigg and KK bottles get hot or cold depending upon the temperature of the beverage put into the bottle, thus the need for neoprene covers for both brands.
6. Both brands dent more easily than I want them to. On this point I think KK wins. The Sigg bottles dent slightly easier than KK bottles.
7. I think that KK bottles are slightly easier to clean because they have a wider mouth than the Sigg bottles. Both brands are easy to clean.
8. DS can drink just as well from both the Sigg bottles and the KK bottles.
9. Both bottle brands are light; Sigg is slightly lighter but not enough to mean much.
10. DS prefers the kid style graphics on the Sigg bottles; however the KK bottles have no paint on them to scratch.
11. Both Kleen Kanteen and Sigg water bottles cost too much.
From my experience Sigg bottles are a great idea precisely realized and Kleen Kanteen bottles are a great idea only approximately realized. If KK can improve their tops treading to match the bottles as well the Sigg bottles KK would be worthy of the high cost. For now, we are only buying Sigg bottles.
06-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Thank you all! I couldn't decide, so I ordered both! I figured with the summer, we can use them to stay hydrated.
Shelley mama to Skyler and Kaian
Love my boys!!
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.