PDA

View Full Version : Why do you need a stroller cover for winter?

kozachka
07-19-2005, 03:07 AM
I've been reseaching things we'd need for the baby once we move to a place with real winter this fall. And pp keep recommending Stroller Cozy or Bundle Me stroller covers. This is probably a really silly question from someone who's lived in California since well before the baby but why do you need one? Won't a nice warm snow suit/jacket with pants/bibs be sufficient? I believe in layering as much as the other person but can't get past the spots from dirty boots. Sounds like such cover would need to be washed constantly.

And if you do think that stroller cover is absolutely essential whould I order fleece or nylon one? I am thinking the latter one would be more practical in the rain/wet snow. Just wondering if it'd be as warm.

Last but not least if anybody wants to get rid of their outgrown Cozy please e-mail me with your price/colour. Price is a big consideration in my debate as to whether I need the cover ;). I can't believe some pp got their Cozies for $19.99, what a great sale that was.

kellyotn
07-19-2005, 08:00 AM
I'd think they'd be used for younger babies. Not for babies when they are old enough for muddy boots! :-) I have a Mac Twin Traveller. It came with 2 sets of zip on blackets. My oldest was a bit over 2 years, and my youngest was a couple months. The youngest was the only one I used the blanket for. With the oldest, if it was REALLY cold, I covered her with a regular blanket, but I think anything attached would have driven her crazy.

My two cents, FWIW. :-)

cuca_
07-19-2005, 08:29 AM
I agree with PP that the bundle me is great for younger babies. I did try to use it with DD after she was a year old and for the most part it did not work out well. For me, the advantage of a cover over a snowsuit (for a younger baby), is that you don't have to deal with removing the suit once you get inside. With the cover, you can just unzip it. Last winter I just found it easier to put a jacket on DD, and if we were going to be out for a substantial amount of time, a snowsuit.

By the way, love your name. We just used the name for DD #2.

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005

kozachka
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Good to know, one less thing to worry about purchasing and bringing with me. And thank you for the complimenting my name, Carmen. It's pretty common in the part of the world I come from.

NYSarah
07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
I think it also depends on what you're doing -- if you're walking from your house, a snowsuit etc would be great, but since you aren't supposed to use snowsuits or garments like that in car seats, if you're going somewhere by car THEN putting the baby in a stroller, the cover is a good idea (although, we got by with blankets just fine). And yeah, I'd go with something water repellent -- although I think most fleece is water repellent these days.

Also, depending on your stroller -- a lot of my friends have gotten the sheepskin pads to go under their babies (especially those who use lighter strollers) and say it seems to matter more than something on top of them. And if you get one of the pads from ikea and cut it to fit you'll save a bundle!

Niki_n_Abby
07-20-2005, 10:37 AM
I have a toddler sized cozy and wouldn't trade it for anything. I love that thing! If you are just walking outside in your neighborhood then the snowsuit is great(if the child will fit in the stroller with the snowsuit on). You can't use that or other bulky coats/clothing in car seats though. So if you are going from the car into a mall/other building the Cozy is WONDERFUL!! My dd is 2.5 and still loves and fits in hers. The hat part is great and I love that is straps around her and opens down the middle completely for easy in/out.

HTH!
Niki