PDA

View Full Version : Double stroller dilemma--Advice needed!

spanannie
07-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Sorry for the long-windedness below:

DS is 3 yrs 1 mo and DD is 13 mos. I have yet to find a double stroller that suits us!

We have the 2005 Mac Rally Twin (in the funky red circle print, which I love) but the stroller doesn't work for us. To me, it appears that the seats are too shallow, especially for DD. She looks uncomfortable, like she's not sitting, but is kind of "hanging" in there. She screams the whole time she's in it. DS doesn't care for it much either. This makes for a nightmare-ish trip to the mall, lol. Unfortunately, this $300 stroller has been used just a handful of times, since neither child seems to like it. Argh!

Before the Rally Twin, I had the Graco Duo Glide, which I didn't like either. It was great having the tandem design, since DS does pick on DD unmercifully, but the 5 pt. harness came apart so often (since it converts from 3 to 5 pt) that he was getting out all of the time and climbing over his seat to torment her. We returned this one.

I have a Mac Volo, which I use most. I use it when I just have one child with me, though, which has been for most of the past year. I've had a babysitter for the past year, so I usually only take DS on errands. DD usually is home sleeping. Unfortunately, babysitter's last day is July 28--Ack!--so I'll be taking the 2 of them everywhere from now on. So, I guess I've got to figure something out stroller wise.

I would add a buggy board or something like that to the Volo for DS to ride on, but I think that would only be good for quick in and out trips. I think for mall strolls and such, I need something where he can sit. I really don't want to deal with him walking (so pokey!) or getting on and off of the board and in to everything.

I'm looking for something not hellish-ly heavy, something that they can stroll comfortably around the mall in, and perhaps something where DS is less likely to torment DD (is that really possible?! lol) Any suggestions, input is very appreciated! OMG, DH gets really annoyed with this stroller ambivalence, buying, etc. I have no idea what I will do with this almost new Rally Twin! He'll have a fit. I've got to have a way to get around with them though.

Thanks!

kellyotn
07-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Have you looked into an Phil & Ted's e3? Or a Valco with a toddler seat? I'm not sure about the weight limits of the toddler seat though.

You can sell your Rally Twin on SWAP or on eBay. Shipping with FedEx Ground will probably be around $22. (At least that's what it was for when I was thinking about selling my Mac Twin Traveller a couple weeks ago.)

Good luck!

spanannie
07-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks for your reply!

I would love to sell the RT on SWAP, but I'm new to the forum, so I haven't enough posts or active time on the forums yet. I thought about Ebay. How were you planning to get your stroller boxed up safely for shipping? (UPS stores prices are outrageous) Also, what do you think a barely used 2005 RT should bring? I don't think I'd be able to recover even $250 which is disappointing. I paid $299 not that long ago.

I have looked online at the Phil and Ted's, but does the baby like being down below like that? Can they see everything? It looks like the baby is just tagging along underneath, lol.

I just googled Valco's after seeing them mentioned here a lot. Never had heard of them before. Are they really great? Must be. I will research further.

Thanks again!

wilelm
07-20-2005, 01:31 PM
You don't have to have any certain amount of time or number of posts to join StrollerSWAP on Yahoo.

Here's the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/

Sheila
Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03 and
Gabriel, 12/30/04

wilelm
07-20-2005, 01:31 PM
You don't have to have any certain amount of time or number of posts to join or sell strollers on StrollerSWAP.

Here's the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/

Sheila
Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03 and
Gabriel, 12/30/04

spanannie
07-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks!

I didn't know that existed....I've joined and posted.

emmasmama
07-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Double Post - sorry

emmasmama
07-20-2005, 03:36 PM
I have the Valco Rebel with the toddler seat for my just-over-two year old and my 15 week old. So far I have really loved it and am hoping I still will when my kids are your kids' age. It is heavy at 40 lbs, but the Valco Runabout with toddler seat is I think only about 30 lbs, not much different than a lot of SBS's weigh. I chose the Rebel over the Runabout solely because I really wanted a stroller where the kids would face me. If that's not important to you, than the Runabout may be a very good choice.

Even though the Rebel is hefty, I haul it in and out of the car to go to the mall, etc. and it handles wonderfully in tight spaces (and I'm comparing it to a single stroller!). I can navigate clothing racks with it even, so I'm very impressed with it.

Also, since this was one of your biggest problems, I love that the kids are separated. I have already had a big problem with my older DD being agressive toward the baby and I anticipate that it will continue for a while. This had never occurred to me before I chose the Valco stroller, but I lucked out that I bought a stroller that completely avoids this problem.

I preferred this stroller to the E3 because I didn't like the baby sitting so low to the ground. In the Valco both the kids are up high, which is just my personal preference.

I wrote a brief review in an older post - I'll try to find it for you. I know these strollers are hard to find IRL and it's so tough to make a decision without seeing something!

emmasmama
07-20-2005, 03:40 PM
This was my initial review before I had "driven" it a bunch, but as you can tell, I still love it. There are lots of pictures too.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=54536

spanannie
07-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the info and the pictures! That is helpful!

I still worry about having the toddler seat attachment type stroller. I worry that DD (13 mos) will feel like she's not able to see well and like she's just shoved in the back. I've never seen one of these IRL or anything comparable.

I just tried the Peg Aria Twin at BRU this afternoon and I thought it was great. The kids seemed to like it and it was so light. I haven't heard much about them, though, so now I'll have to search for more info.

I, however, am still considering the Valco and the P & T's e3

Thanks!

kellyotn
07-20-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm surprised the Aria worked for you if the RT didn't. I tried the Aria when my DD was just over 2 (and about 30 pounds), she looked to be busting out of it. Maybe the RT is more shallow than the Twin Traveller.... (She's nearly 3 now, and just fine in the TT.)

I did love the weight of the Aria twin, but it just didn't seem it'd last too long!

I researched the e3 a LOT, and apparently the back riders are happy looking out the sides! Can't say because I don't have one, but I saw lots of people saying they figured the back rider would be unhappy, but they actually were not.

Good luck!

emmasmama
07-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Yes, I haven't gotten to the point yet with the kids where I can tell how it will be for the backseat rider once they're over a year old. Maybe there is someone else who has a Rebel or Runabout who can comment on what they think about the toddler seat configuration. I was also thinking that maybe I could take the hood off though, esp for longer excursions like the mall where the kids would be in the stroller for a long time. That way the backseat rider could see out the sides more and that might work out nicely. I think with everything it's a tradeoff - I really wanted the smaller footprint of the Valco/toddler seat combo, vs a bigger tandem or even a compact SBS like a Mac.

Another thought - I've been looking at these as a travel stroller, but I'm not sure how great either would be as an all around. Yet again, these resolve the problem of the agressive older sibling while still maintaining the small size for navigation (and these fold MUCH smaller if that's important to you). Since they're both new though, you'd be taking a risk without many reviews to base your decision on:

Transit Tandem
http://www.specialtybaby.com/sa1sttrtasf0.html

Compass Tandem (not available til September)
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=/ref=sr_1_1/601-8335176-6602512?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0006ZORJY

spanannie
07-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks! I have been looking at that Transit Tandem online. I wonder about it. I looks like it would work for us, but I am concerned about it having crappy construction. I guess I'm "stroller spoiled". I may give it a shot though. I wish I could see one IRL.

Thanks!
Annie