PDA

View Full Version : Phil and Ted's E3 difficult to manuever

jsabuda
07-20-2005, 11:15 PM
I recently purchased a Phil and Ted's E3 stroller and overall I am happy with the stroller but the manueverability seems to be more difficult than when I gave it a test run at the store. I am trying to figure out if this is normal or if there is a problem with the stroller. The stroller seems to pull mainly to the right but sometimes to the left so much that my thumbs get sore from having to grip the bar tightly to try and keep it straight. I have the same issues in single or double mode and even when I just have my 8 mo. old in the stroller. Doing any one-hand manuevering is definately out of the question.

I wanted to get any stroller gals (or guys) input before calling the store where I purchased it.

Thanks,
Julie

gcampbell72
07-20-2005, 11:40 PM
You may want to check the tire pressure if you haven't already done so. The steering on my e3 degrades quickly if the tires aren't filled to the max.

If this doesn't work, I would suggest calling the store where you purchased it. Our e3 steers quite well.

Good luck!

Cathy

milesmom
07-21-2005, 01:24 AM
I was going to say the same thing, I have had an issue with another stroller of mine w/ 3 wheels when all 3 tires aren't to the right pressure.

kellyotn
07-21-2005, 09:22 AM
I third checking the tires first off. I don't have an e3, but with my BOB, it makes a HUGE difference.

I guess DH has filled the tires in seasons past b/c I was floored at how much air you need to put in to get the recommended pressure. I kept thinking I was gonna burst them, and I was still 5 PSI shy! (I verified with 2 separate gauges before filling that last 5 PSI I was so worried about it being "too much".)

JenaW
07-21-2005, 09:30 AM
yup! The tire pressure can make a HUGE difference. Also, is your front wheel locked? After we flew with our e3 (and removed the wheels for flying) I realized it was steering much harder than normal. I did not even realize the wheel was locked.

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

jsabuda
07-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Thank you all so much! I will definately have DH put some air in the tires. We bought the stroller when on a trip to Massachusetts and completely forgot about putting more air in the tires when we got home.

Julie

shoppinggal
07-26-2005, 05:49 PM
I agree - mine manuvers fine but my sister complained the other day that it was hard to push with one hand so i told her she needed more air in her tires. I think it needs 21/22 psi - you can have your local bike shop do it for you if you need help. Just be careful not to blow up your tires too much - theyre not under warranty if they get damaged.

good luck.

shoppinggal
07-26-2005, 05:49 PM
I agree - mine manuvers fine but my sister complained the other day that it was hard to push with one hand so i told her she needed more air in her tires. I think it needs 21/22 psi - you can have your local bike shop do it for you if you need help. Just be careful not to blow up your tires too much - theyre not under warranty if they get damaged.

good luck.

jsabuda
07-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Had DH put air in the tires and the stroller still pushed like it had a mind of its own. The retailer whom I purchased the stroller from recommended I call Regal Lager, the new US distributer for the E3. The gal I spoke with fr/Regal Lager was very helpful and had me remove the front axle to see if the metal 'tube' that rotates was bent in any way, which if it is can cause steering problems. It didn't look obviously bent to me but she is still sending me a new front axle to try. I've noticed that by taking the exisisting 'bad' front axle off and on a few times I can sometimes get it to steer properly and boy what a difference! Hope the new part does the trick when I receive it.

Julie

shoppinggal
08-03-2005, 07:10 AM
So it turn out my sisters problem isnt air in the tires - it had something to do with the front axle. She took it apart and reinstalled it and now it seems to be steering better. If she has any further problems she told Monica at Regal Lager to replace the the axle.

good luck!