PDA

View Full Version : Stroller advice needed here: Zapp replacement?

Saartje
07-22-2005, 03:39 PM
We have a Quinny Zapp, and in some ways we just love it. It folds very small, it seems very sturdy, the steering is smooth, and DS likes to ride in it.

Our big problem, though, is that it's a PITA to fold and carry up and down stairs. Not a big deal when we lived on the first floor, but now we're up two flights (one rather steep), and it's also difficult to carry both DS and this stroller up and down the stairs at train stops. This stroller doesn't have a strap to carry it with, and it doesn't lock shut when folded, so in addition to it requiring both hands to fold it (while I hope Ishie doesn't trot off), you have to be careful to carry it in a way that it won't unfold as you walk.

So. Any thoughts on a stroller that would be appropriate for city use, easy to fold and carry, and steer well? If it also has a recline option, I'd like that, since it might make it easier for Ishie to nap while out and about.

Or, should I just forget it, make do with what we have for the summer, use the mei tai in the winter (too hot for it right now, for long excursions), and figure Ishie will be old enough to walk most of the time by next summer?

knaidel
07-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi Sarah,
I don't have any suggestions, but I can commiserate!
Even if I end up going out of my way, I always plan my trips based on what El stations have an elevator- I just hope that it works that day! Or else I go on the bus. A pain!
I have a Zippy, and it fits your requirements, but it's a bit heavy to be carrying (17 lbs.) Probably a stroller with a 1-hand fold that is small enough to carry on wour back (you can buy one of those Combi straps) would work. The combis fold up pretty small and are easy to carry, but I don't know how easy the fold is. Some of the Maclarens have a 1-hand fold, but they fold to the ground- then you have to bend down and pick it up. They fold up biger than Combis.
Why don't you just get a leash for Ishie for when you're folding up the stroller?
just kidding. :)

GroversMom
07-22-2005, 04:07 PM
I've finally worked my Zapp so I can do it one handed while holding DS... but sometimes I'm afraid I'll drop him if he gets squirmy....

just a tip but once you have the top folded down if you put the #3 in the air and push down the piece will slide easily and it folds quickly.... i must admit when that when I have to go upstairs with my zapp i just lift by the handle and carry it in one hand and DS in the other hand...

Saartje
07-22-2005, 04:10 PM
>Why don't you just get a leash for Ishie for when you're
>folding up the stroller?
>just kidding. :)

LOL! Why kidding? I actually have one. ;) He likes to walk for himself around the neighborhood, and it's good for safety. But an easier-to-carry stroller would make it easier for DH to take Ishie with him when he's making a short trip via CTA to his school/office (short trip = they'll spend longer on the train than at the office), so I do have an ulterior motive.

Momof3Labs
07-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Any of the lightweight Macs should work better for you. Perhaps the Quest since it has a recline. You can add a carry strap from www.combistrollers.com (I think). And he might be walking more next summer, but not exclusively. We still use a stroller for Colin all the time when downtown - too many people, cars and crazy cabs for me to feel safe letting him loose - plus any other time we can't focus 110% of our attention on him.

heatherlynn
07-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Silver Cross Mini. Lightweight, reclines (a little, but probably enough for your needs), nubby tires (did well on SQ obstacle course), not tippy (at least I didn't find it to be), and I'm sure a Combi strap would work with it.

I think there may be a few on swap right now from the warehouse/moving sale.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

Saartje
07-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Or recommend other choices to consider?

Thanks, Lori, Heather, and Rachel. Off to run searches.

dules
07-25-2005, 11:13 AM
A Mac Volo comes with a carry strap and it now comes with a hood. No recline though.

Best,
Mary

renefjr
07-25-2005, 11:26 AM
We just got the zapp and we've been practicing the fold/unfold and loading/unloading from the car. Our son will be here soon (Sept 15) so we haven't had any actual experience with it. We have practiced the one handed fold/unfold and carrying it we grab the center bar (where #3 slides. Have you tried that?

lynettefrancois
07-26-2005, 11:45 PM
>Silver Cross Mini. Lightweight, reclines (a little, but
>probably enough for your needs), nubby tires (did well on SQ
>obstacle course), not tippy (at least I didn't find it to be),
>and I'm sure a Combi strap would work with it.

I LOVED mine in NYC and Paris, including on cobblestones. It has a carry strap. You can fold it down with one hand, but you have to pick it up off the floor- I've done this a lot. I suppose you can open it with one hand in a pinch (off the ground), but I don't remember that I've tried it- I'm usually travelling with DH... HTH some