PDA

View Full Version : Zapp or Volo?

Piglet
07-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Now that Canada finally has a great stroller selection (it took long enough, LOL), I have to decide between the Volo and the Zapp. Money is not an issue, since my mom wants to buy us a stroller for DH's and my anniversary (my mom knows what gets me excited as far as gifts go and DH just goes along). I am trying to replace my older UK made Mac, so the Volo seems to fit the bill. It is lightweight, compact folding and well made. The Zapp is smaller, and cooler, but way heavier. I need this stroller to live in the car for popping into the mall and for other quick trips, and also for travel. It will be for DS1 primarily, but eventualy DS2 will start using it. I also have a Bebecar Unibig for longer mall trips with DS2, Bebecar Tracker for neighbourhood walks with DS2, Kelty Joyrider for jogging/walks with DS1, Maclaren Rally Twin for when I am out with both kids. Really what it comes down to is that the Zapp is just SO cool and I am afraid I will regret not getting it when I look back on the opportunity. On the other hand, the Volo probably fits the bill just fine (or better) and had the Zapp not been in the picture, I would be just as happy with it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Marisa6826
07-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Well, the Zapp folds a lot smaller, which is something the Volo can't accomplish. Have you seen the Zapp in person? It's TRULY cool. You can fit it in the footwell of your car. It doesn't even need to go in the trunk. It would also be easy to travel with.

I would go see both in person, if you can and see which one your kiddos prefer.

-m

pittsburghgirl
07-25-2005, 12:28 PM
I LOVED the Zapp, it was WAY cool and so easy to push. However, I sold it after a week or two of humping it in and out of my trunk. I found that I still needed a Volo for public transit and quick trips as I never could have hopped on the subway with the Zapp, and it was too heavy to be easy to get in and out of my trunk when going into the post office or whatever. Given that neither has a recline, it just didn't seem worth it to me to keep. (But, it wasn't a gift so I needed to sell it so I would have the $$ for the Volo!)

I would not have enjoyed using the Zapp for travel. Even though it can technically be carried on the plane in its bag, it's too heavy when carrying a diaper bag and toddler. I love the ease of folding the Volo, even though it folds down it self locks and I can reach the carrying strap w/o leaning over all the way to lift it.

If I felt I could keep both, I suppose I might have kept the Zapp for the cool factor. I just didn't find it functional enough for my particular lifestyle to keep it.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

Piglet
07-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. I actually have both in my living room right now, LOL.

Marisa - do you use it for Sophie or for Amelia?

Marilee - what age was your DS when you started using the Volo?

The reason I ask, is that I want the stroller for DS1 (4 year old), but then I want to start using it with DS2 when he is a bit older, since DS1 will eventually stop riding, I hope! I always thought the Volo was a great toddler stroller (like older than 2 years). I was hoping the Zapp could be used earlier, since the seat is less sling-like - I thought the Volo seat would cause a young child to slouch more. I am not using public transport other than when we go on trips, but I do love how easy Macs fold up compared to the Zapp. I mostly just need a stroller to keep in DH's compact car. I keep the Unibig in mine for all eventualities, LOL.

Thanks,

Marisa6826
07-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Marina-

I'm still waiting for mine to get here, but I think that you can use it from about 6m+. Once the baby has decent trunk control, it should be OK.

Mia is just about 8m old and is close to sitting up on her own. She doesn't even like having the highchair reclined all the way anymore.

-m

dules
07-25-2005, 11:20 PM
This will depend on the baby. Some kids are fine, once they can sit up on their own, to sit up all the time, others won't like it.

Sounds like the Zapp will work for you for all aspects except for weight. If you think weight will be an issue, I'd get the Volo.

Have fun choosing - they're both great!

Best,
Mary

golfgirl12_27
07-26-2005, 12:17 AM
I have the Volo and started using it with DD when she was about 5 months old. Can't compare it to the Zapp however, although that looks like one really cool stroller!!!

So far there isn't anything I don't like about the Volo. It was exactly what I wanted for my "indoor" errands. And it's pink. Although that wasn't the most "responsible" choice (should have got a more gender neutral color in case there are more kids in the future, but I had to have the pink). It's very light and easy to fold and I like the carry strap. The non-reclining factor wasn't any issue for me because I already have a huge stroller that reclines (and am about to purchase a "jogger"). So far, so good.

HTH,
Suz
dd- Sophia 01.12.05