PDA

View Full Version : 2nd double for car - SBS or compact tandem (like Marco Sky)

emmasmama
07-25-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm looking for a double to keep in my car all the time and use for airline/car travel. I already have a Valco Rebel w/toddler seat as my everyday walking stroller. I was hoping that I could just use my single (Zooper Zstreet) for quick trips and travel, but I'm finding I really need to have my toddler contained (she is such a troublemaker!) and the baby is heavy to always be slinging.

So, I have a Volvo wagon and it has a decent trunk, but I tend to go to Sam's Club and do huge grocery runs, so I really need most of that space for bulk items. Not to mention that the Valco is a little awkward to take in and out of the car alot (although surprisingly it is an awesome mall stroller!).

I'm trying to decide if I'd do better with a SBS like the Mac TT or similar, or if I should take a risk and get a Safety 1st Transit Tandem or Compass Tandem (knockoffs of Marco Sky). I like that the Tandems have a very compact fold, but the weight limit is 40 lbs per seat and my 2.2 yo already weighs 33 lbs. I'd really like to have the option of still using the stroller up til she is around 3 1/2 and am worried she will surpass the weight limit. Am I being silly to even worry about this? Is a lb or two really going to make a difference or is it a bad idea to go beyond the limit? The Macs have a limit of 55 lbs per seat, right?

Okay, sorry this was scattery, but hoping someone can give me some guidance.

TIA!

moismom
07-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Just wanted to bump this up as I'm interested in suggestions as well.
--Kinsey

emmasmama
07-26-2005, 03:01 PM
I've been doing a lot of research and I think I'm inching toward a decision to do a compact tandem. It's much more reasonable and the small fold just can't be beat IMO. I also emailed a friend of mine with a big 4yo and her DD is in the 95th % and just hit 40 lbs, so I feel like I'm safe on the weight limit even though it's not as high as something like the Mac TT at 55 lbs per seat.

Someone did a great review of the Safety 1st Transit Tandem on the strollerswap group on yahoo and I may ck out the Compass Tandem IRL next week.

HTH,

houseof3boys
08-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Laurie what did you end up deciding about this?

I'm in research mode again for doubles and wondered what you ended up getting.

TIA! :)

emmasmama
08-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi! I ended up finding an older Mac double on StrollerSwap and it was such a great deal (almost 1/2 as much as the Safety 1st, even plus shipping), that I just decided to go with it. Since I was really just looking for a car/errand stroller that was small enough to leave in the trunk all the time, this was perfect. If I hadn't found this deal I think I would've gone with the Safety 1st.

HTH!

calebsmama03
08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
So, where can one see the Compass or Safety 1st IRL?? Anyone know?
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

pritchettzoo
08-15-2005, 01:48 PM
hellifiknow. I have been searching all morning. I even called Compass and get this--they don't even know the measurements on their own stroller! And they have no idea where the product is carried. They suggested I call all the retailers of Compass products and ask. I called the independent places and then got someone at Baby Depot who didn't understand the word "stroller" and I gave up.

Here's a link to Compass' website: http://www.compassbaby.com/WhereToBuy/whereToBuy.asp

Safety 1st is on sale at www.albeebaby.com for $140: http://www.specialtybaby.com/sa1sttrtasf0.html

If you see them anywhere, LMK! We need a hair-pulling-out smilie.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

emmasmama
08-15-2005, 02:37 PM
I think Baby Outfitters might have the Compass tandem now... it doesn't say so on the site yet, but a few weeks ago they said they'd have them in a couple of weeks. I'd call them... they're in Columbia, MD... someone else on StrollerSwap saw the Compass at Merry Go Round - I think in WA state or OR, I forget... if either of those help you!

http://www.baby-outfitters.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1590

kcampbell
08-15-2005, 03:48 PM
I am interested in what you find out too.

houseof3boys
08-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Weird. I might go to New Baby Products today with both of the kiddos (yeah, that should be real fun) to check things out so I'll let you know. I'll ask what they have at the one near you too!

Are you coming Friday for the E3 demo?

kcampbell
08-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Where is the E3 demo at in Atlanta? Please fill me in on the information. Do you know which doubles New Baby Products carries? I would love to know.
Thanks so much

pritchettzoo
08-16-2005, 12:18 PM
It's not an official demo--sorry for the confusion. Debbi's just being a sweetheart and driving at another GA mom's house who is on bedrest to show her the e3.

New Baby Products is the best store! I'm closer to the one in Snellville, so I always go there. The people are so nice and helpful. If you go, ask for Kelly or the manager Sherry because they know everything! There's a coupon on their website for $20 off $100: http://www.newbabyproducts.com/news.htm You can also get to the phone numbers from there and call to see what they have. Off the top of my head, they carry MBUDs, Dreamer Design Dittos, the Mac doubles, the Combi Twin, and the Aria. They can order e3s, but they don't carry them.

HTH!

Anna

pritchettzoo
08-16-2005, 12:23 PM
You are brave! Friday DH is supposed to take off and we're going to see the penguin movie, so I will miss the demo. :(

Anna

kcampbell
08-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the great information! We live closest to the one on Cheshire Bridge. I have been there several times before but think the one in Snellville is bigger and probably better. At the time that I last went I wasn't in the business for a double but now that I am I will have to go back. Do you have the e3? If you don't mind me asking where did you order your e3 from? Do you anywhere in Atlanta that is selling it? I would love to see one IRL. Thanks again for the information.