PDA

View Full Version : A good reversible stroller needed. Is Bugaboo worth the money?

elisesmommy
07-25-2005, 12:43 PM
After doing extensive research on strollers I came down to the conclusion that the reversible handle feature is something that I cannot live without. I would like to see my baby when she's napping and I also want to be able to block out the California sun out of her face when we're strolling. sometimes a large canopy just doesnt do the trick. anyways, with that being said, I narrowed down my choices to peg perego A3, venezua, combi I-thru, aprica models with reversible handles, and....yes..the bugaboo. If any of you ladies have any of these strollers, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. And another question. Is the bugaboo really worth over 700 dollars? If so, would it last more than one child? After failing with a cheap graco stroller, I would like to buy a quality one even if it means more money. I figure an investment right now may make my daughter and my life easier. Thank you for all your help..You ladies are great~

p.s. My daughter just turned 4 months and I live in the suburbs in So. Cal. which means I need to get in and out of the car easily and use the stroller mostly in malls, outdoor shopping centers, and grocery store. just thought that would help you guys to give me some feedback.

GroversMom
07-25-2005, 02:02 PM
i have a bugaboo, but I don't think it is the right stroller based on what you've described your lifestyle as...

My bugaboo is used for walking around town, walking to the butcher, etc.... it isn't used for going to the mall.... for any trip requiring the car, I use my quinny zapp. The bugaboo doesn't fold down very small and it takes up most of the boot of my SUV.

GroversMom
07-25-2005, 02:03 PM
i have a bugaboo, but I don't think it is the right stroller based on what you've described your lifestyle as...

My bugaboo is used for walking around town, walking to the butcher, etc.... it isn't used for going to the mall.... for any trip requiring the car, I use my quinny zapp. The bugaboo doesn't fold down very small and it takes up most of the boot of my SUV.

emmasmama
07-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Doesn't one of the Bumblerides also have a reversible handle? I'm looking...

Yes! Here it is - the Bumbleride Flyer! It's very cute, but I don't own one, so I can't comment as to quality. It sounds like it might fit what you're looking for though... love the big basket and hood looks substantial too... plus, those colors!! It's a little heavier though, not sure if that's too much weight for you :(

http://www.bumbleride.com/flyer.html

HTH!

Nooknookmom
07-25-2005, 02:31 PM
The only downside to this stroller is when the handle is reversed, the rear wheels become the front wheels and they do not steer. That is a REAL pain. :( Other than that I saw one at the mall and it looked really well built.

emmasmama
07-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Oh, that's right - I remember someone saying that in a review a while back. That would be a bummer if you pretty much always wanted it facing you.

knaidel
07-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I can't answer if the Bugaboo frog is really worth the money. I'm sure that for $700, it would last for more than one kid!
However, I can say that the Bugaboo is not the the only stroller that's high quality. Meaning, you can spend much less money buy buying a Peg Perego or Aprica and still have a very high quality stroller that will last. I see a ton of older Peg Peregos and Apricas in my area, and they still work great.
I think many moms on this board say that while they love their frogs, the 2 step fold is a pain if you're going to be taking it in and out of the car.
I think you won't go wrong with either a Peg Perego or Aprica. As to which model, you should just go the store, try them out and see what you like better. For the most part, these 2 brands have a track record of high quality (i sound like a car salesman!)As for the Combi I-thru, you should do a search in the archives, because there were mixed reviews of them.

elisesmommy
07-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I did hear that bugaboos are hard to fold (which is definitely a negative) yet I love its sleek design, reversible handle feature, and durability although I'm starting to think that bugaboos are a little overrated and over priced. (feedback on this please!) I've looked into Peg Perego A3 and apricas and they both seem like great strollers but not too many stores carry these two. I can purchase online but I would love to hear first-hand feedbacks before I make an important (and expensive) online since I probably won't be able to test drive the apricas or A3's.

btw, I called a local store earlier to ask if they carry apricas and they told me they don't since not too many people are buying apricas these days. any thoughts as to why???

stuff714
07-25-2005, 06:02 PM
I live in So. Cal and use my Bugaboo for what you are talking about and I love it. I have an SUV and I keep it in my trunk. The fold just takes a little getting used to and then it is not a problem at all. I could not do without the reversible handle. The Bug has a reversible handle and a reversible seat so you don't have to worry about steering with the big wheels in front as a PP mentioned. I also have a P3 and although it is great for traveling due to the easy, compact fold, my daughter is not nearly as comfy in it. She slouches down (she is 8 months). I also miss the being able to look at her when I am pushing it. She still faces me in the Bugaboo at this age. That's just my two cents. I don't know where you are located but Bergstroms in Anaheim and Irvine carry both the Bugaboo and the A3. Hope that helps.

lmariana
07-25-2005, 06:08 PM
We used a Bugaboo as our everyday stroller for well over a year. We've have now moved on to a lightweight Mac Quest, but only because I'm pregnant and want as little complication as possible. ;)

I love the Bugaboo and, for us, it has been a wonderful investment. We're suburban dwellers, so it is in and out of the car (VW Passat wagon) constantly. I have never minded the 2-piece fold, except at the airport! Otherwise, I really have no complaints!

I'm saving the Bugaboo for our next baby, and it's still in excellent condition. It is really high quality and I have no doubts that it will last quite a while longer. I may even save it to hand down in the family...maybe someday my daughters in law will appreciate it!

That said, I also looked into the Apricas. If I could have tested one in person, I may have made a different decision, but I have yet to see one in real life. The only complaint I've ever heard about an Aprica is that the handles are low, so if you are tall, it may not be comfortable for you.

If you do decide on the Bugaboo, I'd get it in the next month or so, because it will soon be discontinued and replaced by the more expensive Cameleon and less costly (and less featured) Gecko.

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreggoPals

elisesmommy
07-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Thank you for your feedback..its very helpful to hear from someone that lives in So. Cal. Its also really good to know that Bergstroms carry both the bugaboo and the a3. I'm planning to go there tomorrow morning and try them out. So I guess the reversible feature is not something that only I am obsessed with. =)