PDA

View Full Version : Old BOB sunshade: Retrofit kit or Protect-a-Bub

cgdmom
07-25-2005, 04:09 PM
I had my old (circa 200 or 2001) BOB SUS out on vacation last week, and realized that the sunshade is worse than useless (and was broken, but that is another story). I went to BOB's website, and see that they have a retrofit kit, to bring the older sunshades up to the current style. I am trying to decide whether to order that, or just get an aftermarket sunshade (and fix the current shade on my BOB to support the aftermarket shade) What do people think about the "current" BOB sunshade? Is it pretty good? Has anyone else used the retro-fit kit and/or used an aftermarket shade on an old BOB?

TIA
Cathy

kellyotn
07-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I have a BOB with the current sunshade and its AWESOME. Every other stroller I drive is always with a sigh "I wish it had a canopy like the BOB". When fully extended it covers GREAT. When merely at half-mast, its as good as a regular sunshade. Its got metal bars in it, so its sturdy too. The peek-a-boo window is great too! Another thing I wish for on other strollers.

I'm not sure how much a retrofit one is, but its probably worth it if you otherwise like the stroller! :-)

HTH,
kelly

edited to add a "k" to peek-a-boo!

cgdmom
07-26-2005, 07:58 AM
Great, thanks! The retrofit kit is very reasonably priced...especially since the other option would be to replace the BOB with yet ANOTHER stroller...and my husband would kill me if I did that! I'll order the retrofit kit, and will post details/review once I get it and get it installed!

kellyotn
07-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I looked it up out of curiosity. $35 is definitely worth it for an "official" matching shade!! :-) I love the shade on the BOB.

MarisaSF
07-26-2005, 11:12 PM
I absolutely (also) rec that you get the retro-fit shade for the BOB. I have a rayshade (for a different stroller) and, while it offers great coverage, there are drawbacks to needing to remove and reattach it. It flies up in the wind (which would be doubly bad if you're running); it gets caught on things and gets pilly; it just takes time to remove and install too.

The new BOB shade is great, as PP said. Enjoy!