PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose between...Peg Twin v. Combi Twin and MBUD v. Valco Twin...

Lori810
07-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Which would you choose?

I have come to the conclusion that I will need 2 double strollers. I am thinking right now that I will get the Valco Twin and the Peg Twin Aria. But I am also considering the Combi Twin instead of the Peg Twin area and the MBUD instead of the Valco twin. Just curious if anyone had any input on these choices.

Thanks!
Lori

emmasmama
07-26-2005, 05:57 AM
I went with the Valco w/toddler seat as my 1st double and am currently on the hunt for my 2nd (smaller) double. My older DD is agressive toward the baby (at least for now) so the toddler seat setup has worked out very well.

sobers3
07-26-2005, 07:28 AM
MBUD definitely! I still haven't found a smaller double that I like, so I use the MB exclusively as my double. IMHO, nothing compares to it! Mary

kellyotn
07-26-2005, 08:55 AM
How old are your kids? I loved the light weight of the Aria Twin, but it was already smallish for my DD when we tried it out. She was just over 2 and 30 pounds. I didn't think it'd fit her for too long. And, with a 30 pounder and an infant I didn't care for how it steered. Mainly, I just didn't want to lose longevity and sturdyness for the light weight. :-) I ended up with a Mac TT, FWIW.

I don't have an MBUD or Valco, but from what I've read, its really just a preference thing. People love both!

kelly

Lori810
07-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Can you tell me what you like better about the MBUD compared to the Valco twin?
Thanks!
Lori

jacksmom0902
07-26-2005, 09:15 AM
How is your TT working for you? I have two large boys, a 4.5 month old who is 18 lbs. and one who is almost three and is 38 lbs. We have the Peg P3 and my older son loves it. I considered the Aria Twin but am concerned about pushing it with the two. I also looked at the Combi but that was our first stroller and my son really disliked it as a baby and I wasn't crazy about it either. I'm seriously considering the TT.

Thanks!

sobers3
07-26-2005, 09:21 AM
I love the simplicity of it. Pull up a lever on each side and it folds by itself! The Valco has too many steps to fold. I like the way it stands by itself for storage. I can just stand it behind a door or against a wall out of the way. I like the seats better on the MB, the babies just snuggle into the seat and are very comfortable. I didn't like how low they sit in the Valco and the seat design is similar to the E3 when reclined all the way. I didn't like how low that was with the open back and the zippers. The MB has infinite recline positions that I can adjust without waking them. Also the MB was visually smaller to me, it just doesn't seem that overwhelming. I can say it is very strong. My DS who is almost 200 pounds sits in it with DGS! I don't recommed that though! Oh and the best thing for me is that my 4 year old DGD can hop a ride on the foot board and i don't have to fiddle with a kiddie board or toddler seat. She is mature enough to say "stop, I want to get off." It is a matter of preference though. Look at both and see what you think will suit your needs best. GL Mary

kellyotn
07-26-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm very happy w/ the TT. Its an 04, which I just learned is 6 pounds lighter than the 05's. I have no idea why!

I got it when my youngest was about 2 months and my oldest was 2.5 years. It worked great when he was so little - the boot came in handy for the winter. I never used the boot with my older DD. I do like and use the leg extenders - both when the youngest sleeps and to help him keep toys/books on his lap. :-) (The Rally Twin doesn't have them, I doubt I'd wish for them if I didn't know any better, but I do like having them.)

Currently my kids are nearly 1 year and 3 years. Still works great. Their total weight is probably over 50 pounds and I don't have a problem at all pushing or steering it. I've also pushed it with only one child, and its still fine with either riding alone.

I'm pretty short, so the handlebars are a bit far apart, but I got used to it. A middle handle would have been nice.

Its NOT easy to push one handed if that's important. At the mall or on other SMOOTH level surfaces its possible, but just not fab like a single Mac. ;-)

I have used it a lot for outdoor errands on nice sidewalks (ie walking up to the library, etc.) no problem. When I decided I wanted to walk for exercise, I got a more appropriate outdoor stroller in addition to the Mac TT, but if I hadn't gotten into that kick it would have remained my only double.

Its STURDY. Love that. The max weight is high at 55 pounds / side. It fits nicely in my trunk (mid-size sedan) and is pretty easy to handle in and out of the car. Its not super light like an Aria, but is balanced and not awkward when folded. I just plop the back wheels in and roll it into the trunk.

Its been reviewed a lot lately, I'm sure a search will bring up lots of help for you! :-)

jacksmom0902
07-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks so much for your review. I've sacrificed lots of sleep at night after my babes are asleep to read the boards and try to make this decision. One more question - you mention that you purchased an outdoor stroller. Did you get a double jogger? I'm thinking about the Schwinn Safari double.

Thanks!

Lori810
07-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Hmm, interesting... My DD will be 2 in Oct. (baby is due in Sept.) and weighs about 28 lbs, so I wonder if she will outgrow the Peg pretty soon then? I like the Maclaren but I was hoping for something i could use with the carseat too.

Lori810
07-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Is the TT the MacLaren?

Lori810
07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
I'd love to look at both but unfortunately NO stors around here (Colorado) have either IN the store. I can special order them, but they don't have them on display and won't order them without 1/2 down (which I can only get back in store credit if I don't like it). What a pain! Thanks for the info!
Lori

kellyotn
07-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Yes, sorry! Maclaren Twin Traveller. There's also a model with fewer bells and whistles the Maclaren Rally Twin. www.maclarenbaby.com has a chart with the differences.

kellyotn
07-26-2005, 11:39 AM
For the outdoor stroller, I ended up with a bike trailer. ha ha. :-) My DH needed a bike trailer and I wanted an outdoor stroller, but we didn't have the space or money for both. I got a sporty red Chariot Cougar 2 with the bike, strolling and jogging kits. It works great! On the off chance that you are in the market for a bike trailer too - www.chariotcarriers.com. Its GREAT quality and I love it. It rolls like a dream. My 1 year old sleeps wonderfully and my 3 year old piles in bunches of books and enjoys the ride. There is a hammock type sling for 1-10 month olds for when its used as a stroller. (NOT for biking. Biking is for 1 year and older.)

Funny you should ask about the Schwinn, I had originally thought about getting one b/c of the price. But had heard that the height limit was 38" and we went the Cougar route anyways.

I just happened to see one at Once Upon a Child yesterday. I plopped my kiddos in it and sure enough DD was pretty much close to being too tall at 37". Since you mention your son is big, I'm not sure it'd work out for you either..... I'd at least try and find one IRL before buying online.

HTH,
kelly

JamiMac
07-26-2005, 12:07 PM
The MBUD and Combi Twin Savvy are a great combination, IMO!

spongeann
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
My 2002 Combi just broke (at the airport, no less) and is not repairable.

I have used this stroller less than 20 times with my babies (now toddlers), and Combi just told me (after waiting 30 days and sending 4 separate emails) that they will not replace it because it is out of warranty. They offered to sell me a new one at the oh so wonderful bargain price of $222....I respectfully declined, and am going to continue to pursue this, as it is clearly a defective product and they are not standing behind it.

As you may or may not know, this particular product was riddled with design defects when it came out in 2001, most especially the T bar in the middle breaking. Combi had a very good track record of taking care of their customers when this happened, regardless of whether or not the stroller was in warranty. They are now not doing this for me, and I am incensed.

FYI, the design defect is in the knob that sticks up from the frame that attaches the cup holders to the stroller frame. Mine snapped in half when I leaned over to pick my son out of the stroller. Because the knob is attached to the stroller frame rather than the rubber part (cup holders) that attaches to the frame, when it breaks you are out of luck.

Moral of the story......do not buy this stroller at any price. You would be better off buying a $49 umbrella stroller!

Good luck; I hope you make a better choice than I did!

Mary
aka spongeann