PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound cost thread (Lounge) - OUCH

EllasMum
05-06-2006, 06:28 PM
I was just reading through the thread over in the Lounge detailing what folks south of the border are having to pay for ultrasounds - I am *so so so so so so* glad I live in Canada! ;)

Amount I paid for my 2 ultrasounds: $0.
Amount I paid for my gynecological laparoscopy: $0.
Amount I paid for my c-section and 2 nights in the hospital: $48 (for the 'semi-private' room)

Value of living in Canada: priceless. :)

psophia17
05-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I can't wait to get those benefits! Until my residency comes through, though, I pay out of pocket.

An ultrasound just outside of Vancouver cost me $141, and then the hospital sent a bill for another $136, because the tech insisted they had to do a vag u/s to search for an ectopic (this was to diagnose a m/c), and wouldn't let me refuse. I'm still fighting that charge.

My OB tells me that a vag delivery is $3,500, and a c/s is roughly $10,000. I am really hoping my medical coverage is through beforehand!

Even so, the prices here are way better than in the States - nothing like gouging the insurance companies because you can.

EllasMum
05-06-2006, 11:14 PM
A c-section is $10 000??? OMG I had no idea! And $3 500 for a vag delivery?? WOW.

I have my fingers crossed that your provincial health care comes through ASAP so you don't have to pay for anything else! If I were you I'd fight the vag u/s charge too. I had one early in my pg (I was taking clomid so they were double checking for possible multipes - luckily there was just one DD!) as part of my u/s - I can't see why they'd have to charge separately for it - seems to me to be all part of the same procedure. Craziness!

ETA: A friend just had one of those 3-D u/s where you get the video etc and I believe she paid $175 - apparently provincial healthcare will only pay for the ol' 2D variety!

Laundraholic
05-08-2006, 07:55 AM
I too am thankful for Canadian health care...
I had about 7 ultrasounds with this pregnancy (DD born April 5/06), because they found "something" in her intestinal tract that turned out to be nothing, but it still required monitoring.
I can't imagine the costs if I had to pay for each of those out of my own pocket.

I think those that constantly complain about the healthcare system here really have to compare it with what you'd be dealing with elsewhere.

btw, about the 3-D ultrasound...
it depends... If you go to a clinic that provides 3D ultrasound as part of their regular service, I've known a couple of friends who were able to get the 3D ultrasound as their regular 19 week ultrasound because it's the one "prescribed".

If you go for an "extra" ultrasound which is not "prescribed" by your health-care provider (ie just to get the 3D pics or video or because you want to find out the gender) then you have to pay out of pocket.

Neatfreak
05-08-2006, 08:02 AM
>
>btw, about the 3-D ultrasound...
>it depends... If you go to a clinic that provides 3D
>ultrasound as part of their regular service, I've known a
>couple of friends who were able to get the 3D ultrasound as
>their regular 19 week ultrasound because it's the one
>"prescribed".
>
>If you go for an "extra" ultrasound which is not "prescribed"
>by your health-care provider (ie just to get the 3D pics or
>video or because you want to find out the gender) then you
>have to pay out of pocket.
>
>

Totally agree! My doc just told me to go to a particular lab for my u/s - he mentioned that they'd acquired the 3-D capable equipment a few months earlier and he thought it was cool! I've spread the word to many of my friends who are/were expecting ...

marshmallow
05-31-2006, 06:07 PM
I had 5 ultrasounds during my pregnancy. Determine due date, regular 18 week, kidney stone, breech, and still breech. cost -- 0. Sure it's included in the taxes we pay, but it's so much better than having to dish out thousands of dollars at once. Plus since he was breech I needed a cesarean. It could have been 6, but I opted for the bloodwork version of the test. And how many times do they send you for bloodwork, swabs, routine gestational diabetes screens... man that would add up $$$

To get the 3d ultrasounds here is around $175 last I checked. They're all done at private non-diagnostic places.

funlover
06-12-2006, 06:47 PM
:)

EllasMum
06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
We're here to discuss parenting issues - not political ones. Let's try to keep our comments fair - to everyone. If you're happy to live in the States, that's great and I'm glad it's working out for you. There is, however, no need to make inappropriate and unfair (not to mention incorrect) comments of an inflammatory nature. Let's keep things light, shall we?

Laundraholic
06-12-2006, 08:54 PM