PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Britax & combination booster questions

crazyshopper
06-26-2006, 10:57 PM
I am currently looking for a Britax Marathon for my DD to use when she turns 1 (in early October). There seems to be better deals on US websites. Is there a difference between the US Marathons vs. Canadian Marathons? (If there is a significant difference, does anyone know of a good deal on Canadian Marathons? I'm in Mississauga)

As well, my DS is long overdue for another carseat (he’s too tall for his convertible). I would love to get him the Britax Parkway but he’s too young/hasn’t reached weight minimum yet (turning 4 in mid October, he’s approx. 36 pounds and approx. 38 inches tall), so I am looking for a combination booster instead. Any thoughts on either the Evenflo Generations or Graco Platinum Cargo? (SIL thinks I'm too paranoid, and should just wait 3 more months until he's 4 yrs old and get him the Britax Parkway...is she right?). I’m looking for the best safety rated seat that will last until he’s out of car seats (and potentially pass this down to DD, if possible)

We own a Toyota Highlander, so size is not an issue.

Thank you in advance!

bubbaray
06-27-2006, 12:08 AM
FWIW, you'll get more traffic on your post on the car seat forum. Hopefully Tam will see your post -- she's a tech and knows oodles about Cdn and US seats. I'm no tech, but I'll take a stab at what I would do in your situation.

The Cdn and US MA seats are the same, except the Cdn ones are certified for use in Canada. If you are caught using a US car seat in a Canadian registered vehicle, the fine is the same as if you weren't using a car seat at all (in BC its $500). There are also insurance implications (ie., if your child is injured in a crash while in a non-Cdn seat, your insurance d/n have to cover the child's injuries as technically you are in breach of your insurance policy).

Some people choose to use US seats anyway. Part of it is your own comfort with breaking the law and having insurance problems if there is an accident. The other part is your proximity to the US border. I live very close to the US border and car seat inspections by the police are not uncommon here -- and yes, they do look for the Transport Canada sticker and fine you if you don't have a Cdn seat.

If your son is out of his convertible seat (if he's FFg, the harness straps should be at or above his shoulders), then you need to get him a new seat now. The Evenflo combination seats go up to 47lbs in Canada. They sell the Chase, Vision, Tradition & Generations. There are some differences in those seats, most importantly in the height of the top slots. If your child has a long torso, definitely take him to the store and try him out in some seats to see which will fit him the longest.

When I was looking for a combination seat for DD's DC seat, I checked out the Graco Platinum Cargo and found that its top slots were lower than the Chase/Vision (same shell, different features) and the Generations, but not the Traditions. It is a nicely padded seat, though, and is harnessed in Canada up to 48lbs. If your DS is more "leggy" than "torso-y", it might work well.

Personally, I would get him a combination seat now and keep him harnessed as long as possible. You do not need to move him to a BPB at 4. You can keep him in a harnessed combination seat until he is out of that seat by either height or weight -- I doubt he'll gain 10lbs before October. Height might be an issue. Again, its not so much his actual height, but his torso length relative to the top harness slots. Also, combinations seats can be used as a
BPB once the child has outgrown the harness (though some people prefer a regular BPB for ease of use).

Just out of curiousity, why are you looking for a MA for your DD when she turns 1? The MA can be used RFg or FFg, so you can use it from 5lbs. If your DD is in an infant seat and is RF, you need to check if she's out of the infant seat by height or weight (age isn't an indicator). My DD outgrew her infant seat at 4m by torso height (should have a minimum of 1" from the top of the shell to the head). All kids are different, but if you like the MA seat and your DD is close to outgrowing her infant seat (or has already done so), then I wouldn't wait for that seat either.

FWIW, we LOVE our MA. Its a great seat!

Good luck!

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

hipmaman
06-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Just in case you don't check your email, call Bonnie Togs at OAKVILLE
2501 Hyde Park Gate
Oakville, ON. L6H 6G6
Ph: 905-829-2886

And I'll answer your post regarding the US seats after work. There are legal, warranty and liability considerations that you need to think about before deciding to buy or not to buy a non-Canadian seat.

Good luck
Tam

crazyshopper
06-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for your help Melissa! I will cross post this posting in carseats (wasn't sure as I had a Canadian specific question...)

I'm actually going to move DD into the Marathon as soon as I buy it (hopefully within the next couple of weeks)...wasn't sure why I wrote what I did...(I'm planning her first birthday, so I guess I keep thinking she'll be 1 any day now...LOL!)

If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy your MA? (I'll stick to buying in Canada...peace of mind)...*sigh* it's just so tempting to buy from US websites ($100 cheaper including shipping & exchange rate!)

Thanks,
Carol

crazyshopper
06-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks Tam! I will look for your post later (and call Bonnie Togs!)

Carol

bubbaray
06-27-2006, 07:47 PM
I bought my MA at TJs. They have the best prices in the Vancouver area (~$330 + tax, I think they are all $350 now though). They do ship, but I'd bet you could find a good price in the TO area.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

psophia17
06-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I've been doing research on the combination seat thing lately, and everything I've checked out has pointed in the direction of the Evenflo Generations - it's $159.99 at TRU, but it's rated to 47 lbs w/ harness, and it's a belt positioning booster after that to 100 lbs. My DS, at 2.5, is about the same size as your DS, so I see getting a ton of use out of it.

The Generations is only rated to 40lbs w/ harness in the States, so here in Canada it's as close as you can get to having a Britax but several hundred dollars cheaper...

Crisyn
07-04-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm a little late, but I just wanted to say that you can purchase Marathons from http://www.babyproofingplus.com/cat127_1.htm for $299CAN, with free shipping.

Crisyn
07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Also, the Canadian MAs are only approved for up to 48lbs, while the US ones are approved to 60lbs (I think it may even be more). I am not sure if the actual seat is different or if it is just a difference in weight ratings, but it may be another factor to consider when you are deciding on US vs. Canada.

hipmaman
07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Is that the regular price now? $299 CAD? That's good then for those wanting Britax seats. It's $50 less than the 'older' price and making it close to other convertible seats sold here.

Thanks.

Crisyn
07-04-2006, 07:46 PM
I don't think so. TJ's still has them listed at $350CAN plus shipping.

jujucb
07-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Tam,

Do you know if Bonnie Togs has stopped carrying Britax? I wonder if I'll regret not getting a $99.00 Parkway.

My store has huge staff turnover and the info I get is all over the place.

One clerk said they lowered the price to clear them out for good.

The second one said they were just trying to clear out old stock, so it was a 'While supplies last sale'. Although the ones I've bought from them have only ever been a few weeks old at time of purchase.

The third one said the lower price was their new MSRP and that new stock was coming in this month. They only had one or two RAs left a few weeks ago.

hipmaman
07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
I get the same line from the same store, so I'm not sure if it would clear anything up for us, lol. I'm told the BT would not carry Britax anymore.

If I hear anything differently, I'll let you know. I did purchase a PW for $99 and although not in use now, but it can be a spare seat for dd when she carpools with other people in the fall. I managed to get one with DOM of Mar 2006.

Crisyn
07-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Just wanted to update that TJ's did just put their price on MAs down to $299CAN, so this must be the new Canadian MSRP. Great!

harley
07-11-2006, 04:05 PM
FYI, if you're in the GTA, you can get the Marathon for $299 + tax and if you buy it at http://www.momstobeandmore.ca, they give you a gift certificate to have the seat professionally installed.