PDA

View Full Version : Any Canadians have TIVO?

snowangel
08-21-2006, 07:46 PM
My DH says you can use them up here now. I just want to make sure this is true before he buys it.

Does anyone use one in Canada?

Neatfreak
08-22-2006, 06:29 AM
We don't have one, but the service is indeed available in Canada now.

Here's the info from the TIVO website: http://www.tivo.com/1.6.1.asp#9

jujucb
08-22-2006, 08:18 AM
We don't have TIVO. But we do have a PVR device. For the last few years we've been using an HP Media Center attached to our TV and a digital/HD box (without PVR function). I'd have to double check with dh as to why we went this route. I think it was because TIVO and/or the Rogers box required additional fees to be able to record.

We rarely watch live TV. We have our regular shows on a taping schedule and we can browse the online TV guide and do 'one of' tapings with a few clicks. It is a wonder thing really. If we like the show, we can save it to the computer and burn a DVD.

One neat thing is I can watch TV while I do my email. I can also pause and rewind live TV with it. That means I can update my mil and catch up with DOOL at the same time. Could explain my bad spelling lol!

The only problems we have, is that we can't record HD channels or multiple shows at once. But I think that is dh's doing. We have too many things plugged into too few spots on the computer or TV. And that has more to do with most of the stuff being between 4-5yrs old. Even so, we have only had one or two scheduling conflicts that I can remember. Doesn't stop Dh from grumbling about 'having' to update the TV and Media Centre though ;)

snowangel
08-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks so much for the info! I think we are going to go ahead and get the Tivo. It sounds really cool!

chinook
08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
My sister has a Tivo. The problem is she has Shaw digital cable and you can't use it with that cable box (or something goofy like that) so she has it installed in her bedroom where there's regular cable.

So I guess just make sure it's "compatible" with your cable.

We got bell with their PVR tuner - love it!!

Neatfreak
08-23-2006, 06:12 AM
Your sister's experience makes sense - Shaw has their own TIVO-esque service ...

This thread is making me more tempted :)

chinook
08-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah but Shaw's Tivo thingy is REALLY lame. Apparently there's a whole list of cable providers that aren't "Tivo friendly". It was some sort of Tivo incompatability as opposed to a Shaw incompatability (not that it really makes a difference, though).

I get the impression, both from my sister and friends in the U.S. that Tivo can be kind of tricky to get set up right and to be able to use fully.

I'd recommend checking into Bell, their PVR rocks, it has a HUGE memory, I can tape two shows at once while watching a third that's been taped already, plus they have tons of HD channels which are great. It's changed my life (SERIOUSLY! I've been on bedrest for 17 weeks!! :D ).

Whichever way you go you'll love it. Ripping through all of the commercials is a much more efficient way of whiling away hours in front of the tube.

snowangel
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Ok ordering Tivo from Canada did NOT work out at all, so I just went with the Rogers PVR. It is fine! I am very happy to finally have a PVR!