PDA

View Full Version : The Radians are here!

natmurr
10-10-2006, 11:35 AM
The sunshine kids Radian car seat is now available at Canadian Tire. Mine is supposed to arrive at the store tomorrow, and canadiantire.ca shows available stock.

As soon as I get mine I will post a review.

Natalie

Neatfreak
10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
The TJ's Kids has them now as well - I noticed them on their website last night!

darby24
10-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Any first impressions?

Does any new Radian owner have a review?

natmurr
10-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Finally, after much waiting and an hour in Canadian Tire trying to convince the manager that carseats are PST Exempt in Ontario (I loath that store!!!) I've got my seat!

Specs: $199 Canadian Tire (canadiantire.ca)

Rear-Facing - 5-30lbs

Forward-Facing - 22 - 48lbs

Anyway - the first thing you notice about this seat is the size of the box - its so small (well for a car seat anyway - it really folds up quite nicely). The next thing you notice is how HEAVY it is - they aren't joking when they say its made of steel!

At first glance the seat and instructions are a little intimidating - I suppose because it is so different from other seats on the market, but after an afternoon of messing around with it and reading the manual its not so bad.

First I installed the seat RF on the captains chair of my 01 Oldsmobile Van with the Latch belt. I was impressed when I got a solid install my first try. Even more impressed when I was able to use the V-shaped tether and connector strap to tether the seat while RF. I will NEVER again have to fuss with pool noodles or rolled up towels to get a solid RF install. The Radian requires attaching a "foot" for RF use and it works like a charm!

Next I installed the seat FF on the captains chairs using the latch belt. Again I got a solid install on my first attempt. The only sticky matter was the top tether which seemed slightly more complicated than a standard top tether because it is V-shaped.

Using my van's seatbelts, I was able to get a solid install outboard on the rear-bench FF, and RF on the captain's chairs. I couldn't get a good enough install FF on the captains with the seat belt.

It is interesting to note that while FF the Radian requires the use of a "SafeStop" device for kids under 40lbs. As per the manual:

"SafeStop is a load-limiting device designed to absorb energy and reduce forces to a small, forward-facing child."

The SafeStop device is really easy to use (basically it just makes the harness straps longer). I really have no clue as to why this would be required, but maybe it has something to do with the fact this seat can accomodate heavier kids (rated for 65lbs in the US)

The fabric on the seat is micro suede, and it seems quite well-padded and comfortable. On the top of the seat there is a little pouch marked "Child Emergency Info" and inside there is a form to fill out with child's emergency info should you ever been in a crash and the driver is unable to communicate with EMS.

The straps are fairly stiff and don't seem like they would twist easily. There are patches of velcro sewn to the straps so you can attach them to the cover when not in use - helping to prevent the twisties.

About the only thing this seat doesn't have is the built-in belt lock-offs :( (I'm going to have to learn to use a locking clip one of these days!). I have heard people have had difficulty installing this seat using seat belts, but I haven't tried yet so I can't comment.

I really like the seat so far. My recently purchased Safety First Apex is going back to the store, and I will likely be selling one of my AOE's to finance another Radian!

My original plan was to buy a higher-weight seat for DS who is 35lbs and almost 3, BUT I like this seat so much RF I have put DS back in the AOE for the time being and give DD (20 lbs and 14.5 months) the Radian!

Natalie

bubbaray
10-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the great review!

Is your Apex Canadian spec'd or from the US??? Just curious if the Apex is being sold here and I didn't know!!

Also, which has the higher top slot height -- the Apex or the Radian??

TIA!!!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

jujucb
10-30-2006, 06:28 AM
Congrats!

I'm also interested in the top slot height. The CT site shows the RN in stock at all the stores around me, but I can't find one to look at for the life of me.

Good to know they are cluelss about the tax exemption. If I decide to get an RN, I'll have to take some proof with me. Hmmm wonder how the exemption works with travel systems?

darby24
10-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Great, thanks for the review!

And like the PPs, any other info on top slot height would be wonderful :-)

natmurr
11-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I just measured the top slot height of the Radian and it was 17". I'm not sure the height of the Apex as I returned it when I got my Radian.

Natalie

natmurr
11-04-2006, 10:12 AM
These seats are being sold at Sears. I haven't seen them in a catalouge or online yet, but they do have them at some stores. I got mine in Barrie, ON. I didn't even know they were available here until I stumbled across them in a Sears Days flyer.

As for the slot height, the Radian is about 17". Not sure about the Apex as I returned it a while ago

Natalie

bubbaray
11-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Thank you for the info!

So, would you say (subjectively, I know you don't have the seat anymore) that the Apex top slot height is lower or higher than that on the Radian??

Also, why do you prefer the Radian??

Sorry to pepper you with so many questions. I need to get DD out to the stores to look/fit these 2 seats, but for some reason she's not that fond of playing mommy's "car seat test" game anymore?! :( Plus, I don't have a Sears and Canadian Tire near each other, so its 2 trips, KWIM?

Thanks so much!

Melissa

momof2boys
11-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Ok this thread is GREAT!!!! I'm trying so hard to figure out which seat I need for my son who is a tall 3.5 year old!!! I will hold out a little longer on the Radian purchase as I really want to know the height of the APEX.
Thanks for the info ladies!

natmurr
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
I think the Apex straps are a little higher than the Radian - no more than .5" if memory serves.

Even though the Radian might have slightly less height in the harness, it is a much better choice in my opinion:

* The Apex seems rather flimsy - especially the headrest (in fact the Apex can only be used on vehicle seats that have adjustable headrests because there is NO support/strength in the head rest)

* The Radian is a solid seat - made with steel. Its heavy and when installed it doesn't budge.

* LOVE the fact that the Radian can be tethered RF. I plan on DD being RF until she reaches the limit of the seat (at her rate she'll likely be 5!!), and all research indicates when RF the larger child, tethering increases safety.

* The Apex is HUGE - not a problem on my van's captain's chair but if I installed it on the rear-bench there would only be room for one other carseat/person to sit)

* The Radian has a low profile, and makes it easier for DS to get in and out himself - I don't have to lift him up.

I truly hope that DS can get through the next 3 years ( he just turned 3) in the Radian. Hopefully by then there will be more choice - i.e. Britax Regent in Canada.

Natalie

natmurr
11-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Here is a link to the car seat database. The measurements for the Apex are listed here.

http://www.carseatdata.org/measurements.php?tun=home

Natalie

hipmaman
11-07-2006, 09:45 PM
So it's a tad lower than the Marathon? I thought maybe the Radian would have more than 17.5".

bubbaray
11-08-2006, 12:41 AM
You know, I think I'm gonna haul DD out to Canadian Tire and take a photo of her sitting in the Radian, haul her to SEars and do the same with the Apex, and another of her sitting in her MA. That seems to be the only way to figure out the top slot height. I've heard such conflicting things -- Radian is the highest in Canada, Apex is, MA is.

So confusing!

Melissa

hipmaman
11-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Pictures are good, but measurement is better when taken by one person so that you know where to start and to stop measuring. It's confusing so far because all these measurements have been reported by different people. Also when taking measurements or pictures, can you do me a favour by see/note the actual slots and not just the fabric slots where they can be pulled down when the child sits in the seat.

Thanks.