PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Marathon...

hwertheim
12-30-2006, 09:09 PM
We've finally come to the realization that we are going to shell out and buy the Britax Marathon. Does anyone know of a good deal for one in Canada? We live in Ottawa, but go to Toronto frequently, Vancouver once in a while, and Montreal upon occasion....

Thanks!

Hannah

bubbaray
12-30-2006, 10:12 PM
TJs has the best prices in the Vancouver area. They ship too.

http://www.tjskids.com/cart.asp?whichpage=1&mode=price&search=null&maincat=63&category=58&brand=0&expand=categories&pagesize=&item=1499

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

jujucb
12-31-2006, 07:30 AM
In the Toronto area I like dealing with:

L'il Niblets & Baby Sprouts

Dearborn Baby Express

Safety Superstore

Bonnie Togs

These are in order of which store has better car seat knowledge. Britax doesn't often go on sale. I've only noticed a handful of sales in the last 6yrs or so. However, the Canadian MSRP on both the RA and MA was dropped $50.00 earlier this year. So, $299.99 is the new MA price. In Ontario you'll only be charged GST since all child restraints are PST-free here. I don't know of any exemptions in BC or Quebec.

psophia17
12-31-2006, 01:40 PM
I can't help you on finding a good deal, but wanted to point out the Marathon isn't rated for as high a weight in Canada as it is in the States (or at least that was the case when I was shopping for them). I didn't know that when shopping for a new seat for my large 2yo this summer, who had outgrown his Evenflo Triumph by both weight and height and needed a combination booster of some sort - he's already just shy of outgrowing the limits on the Marathon at 3yo.

I think it was rated to 45ish lbs for FF, so it didn't make any sense to get it when the Evenflo Generations combination booster was rated to about the same weight harnessed and 20ish more lbs as a belt-positioning booster, and was several hundred dollars cheaper.

HTH!

eta: details - sorry for being confusing and vague the first round!

bubbaray
12-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Petra's right. The MA is rated to 48lbs FFg. In fact, there are currently NO harnessed seats that are rated past 48lbs in Canada. :(

It depends on whether you need a convertible seat (RFg to FFg) or combination seat (FFg to booster).

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: c/s 01/2007

super_grape
01-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I bought mine at Kiddytown (www.kiddytown.ca)
and they are $299 there as well....just be careful :) ,
they might try and talk you into an Alpha Omega.

If you're interested, K-Town also carries the Sunshine Kids
Radian. It harnesses to 48 lbs. and my DD had much more room
to grow harness height wise in this seat. It's cheaper too - somewhere in the neighborhood of $199. Some have had trouble getting a good fit in their car tho. If you like that seat you can try checking www.carseatdata.org to see if anyone has installed it with
success in your vehicle or check the forums at www.car-seat.org , there are a few people with Radians over there.

I LOOOOOVE our Marathon but the next seat I buy will most likely be a Radian, we're gonna need that extra room height-wise.

HTH!!!

Holly

hwertheim
01-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Now I am reconsidering...we had thought about getting a Radian, but I have read that they aren't that comfortable, especially for infants (our daughter will be about 5-6 mo). The Marathon seemed comfortable and is recommended, but it is pricey and now I am realizing it may not be advantageous since it does not work beyond 48 lbs. What are other good convertible options for Canadians?

Thanks!

Hannah

Piglet
01-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Honestly, I would spend the money on a Marathon in a heartbeat. It is the best carseat I have ever used. The biggest problem with carseats is that they are often installed/used incorrectly. The Marathon is such a breeze to install and use compared to any other seat I have used. You won't find any combo seat that goes beyond 48 lbs harnessed in Canada so you aren't losing out on anything by buying a Marathon. My 5.5 year old doesn't yet weigh 48 lbs but is just barely too tall for the MA. He wouldn't have had any benefit in going to 65lbs in it like the US allows. Just about all carseats are outgrown by height before weight, so 48 lbs is quite a big allowance. By the time you have to think about the next seat (4-5 years down the road, if you have an average sized kid), there might be way better seats on the market. I know that you can get by with combinations of other seats, but no RF/FF seat other than the Radian will get you to 48 lbs. In other words, you can buy a Scenera now (about $90) and it will last to 40 lbs. Then you will have to buy a harnessed booster, which will be at least another $100 likely. Total cost will be about $200. I have a Scenera in my parents' car and while I like it for a lot of reasons (price, lightweight for travel, etc.), it is was less plush and comfy and easy to use than the MA. The MA will cost you $300 and might even get you all the way to booster age. My DS1 went straight to a Britax Parkway, which is a WAY nicer booster than the Evenflo Chase (combo harness/booster) my parents have in their car. I liked the Chase just fine until he outgrew it by height. The booster on it is lousy though - no side impact protection, no head wings for sleeping, etc. Basically, I know that I spent a total of $400 on seats, but I know that my DS is comfortable and safe. I could probably have gotten away with the cheaper option and spent $200, which is what I spent on my parents' seats, but I have been cursing those seats a lot when trying to move them in and out of cars, changing harness slots, etc. I have never had a problem with the Britaxes, FWIW.

super_grape
01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to make this more confusing!

There really isn't a seat that will work from birth to booster.
The Cosco/Dorel seats SAY that they do but a lot of kids outgrow the harness due to low harness slots around 2.5 - 3 years old.

I don't know how comfy the radian is for an infant but it seemed ok to me. My DD's are both extremely comfy in their Marathon and Roundabouts too. In fact, IMHO the Marathon is about the comfiest you can get up here.
I agree w/Marina that the Marathon is an easier to install seat.
The built in lock-offs are a great feature to have and the seats are
very user friendly. Customer service is great too!

All of the convertible seats offered are good seats and all have passed Transport Canada's testing and will offer protection for your child but some have extra safety features and are easier to use than others. That is the reason we chose Britax over the others.
The Radian has similiar features as the Britax seats.
The catch with the Radian tho is that it's got a reputation of being dificult to install in certain vehicles so if you plan to move the seat around a lot it might not be the best seat for you. I would go to Kiddytown and see if you can talk someone into letting you install the seats in your car - they have let others do it in the past...I'd try to go when they're not busy tho. Play with both seats side by side and then see what you think. Install them if you can,
buckle and unbuckle the harness, work the adjuster, look under the cover (you'll have to take it off to wash it...sometimes frequently :P so see if looks easy to remove), etc.
Making a decision afterwards will likely be alot easier for you.

FWIW, I LOOOOOOOOVE my Marathon and am so glad that I bought it!!!
I wasn't interested in any other convertible because the EPS foam was very important to me as was ease of use for my car seat challenged DH. I would have considered the Radian if it had been out
but probably would have bought the Marathon in the end - I 'm still sooo in love with the Ashley Floral cover!
I paid $375 w/tax and haven't regretted it one bit and I'd do it again. Lucky you tho, now they're cheaper!

Beware tho...once you use a Britax seat you'll never go back :) !

HTH!!!
Holly

hipmaman
01-03-2007, 05:44 PM
I assume your baby is young enough to use the MA for a long time, so the fact that it is only to 48 lbs in Canada might be moot, kwim? It is still the easiest to install, the easiest to fit in many cars, nicest/snuggest for baby, with loads of safety, comfort and convenient features that other seats do not have (including the Radian), to me is worth the 'investment'.

I bought an MA for my dd when she was 5 - yes, five years old (but only 42 lbs). She was in it for a little over a year when outgrew it by height.

aidensmom02
01-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I just bought a Radian today for my almost 5year old. He has an extremely long torso and has just about outgrown his Marathon. But he is only 35 lbs so I needed more time for him to be harnessed. The Radian fit the bill. It is definitely a seat for tall skinny kids.

That being said, since I own both... I would absolutely get the Marathon. It is much cushier, has much nicer harness straps, and is easier to install. I've put Aiden in the Radian three times today installing it in various vehicles and already I am missing my Marathon straps. I am going to need to be careful with the Radian straps because they are no where near as thick as the Marathon's and could twist easily. The Radian is a nice seat but it doesn't come close to my MA, IMHO.

I also only bought the MA for Aiden a year ago, but would do it again in a heartbeat. I love my MA. The good news is that now his younger brother has two MA, so I only have to move the Radian between vehicles now.

HTH, Jen in Canada with
Aiden 4.75 yrs in a Radian
Mikkel 21.5 mo in a MA