PDA

View Full Version : Winter coats for one year olds - need advice please!

chinook
09-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone,

My twins are turning one next week (I CAN'T believe it!) and I'm trying to figure out what to do for outerwear this winter. They aren't walking yet but DS will be soon and DD isn't too far behind.

So, I figure my options are either getting a one piece snowsuit for walks and toddling around, and then a jacket, or getting a jacket/snowpant combo.

I'm leaning toward a snowsuit and then a jacket. I'm worried about them being in their carseats in a big winter coat, so I thought if I got really warm snowsuits then I could get lighter-weight coats for errands etc (but then I'm not sure if they'd freeze in those coats?)

Any advice?

Also, where's the best place to get stuff like this? I don't like 3-in-1 coats (Children's Place has those) and Gap's coat/snowpant combo is pretty pricey. Has anyone tried Old Navy's toddler winter coats?

I'm in Calgary so while we enjoy chinooks there are quite a few really cold days.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom, ladies!

bubbaray
09-08-2007, 10:45 PM
OK, I live in the Vancouver area, so our needs are different (can you say Goretex??) than yours. BUT, DD#1 does downhill ski, so I do have snow wear for her. We have gotten her last 2 snowsuits at Sears when they've been on sale. They were nice, but we didn't use them daily or anything, so I have no idea how they would hold up to that kind of use. Also, they are far too puffy for use in a carseat.

For her first winter, we got her a one piece snowsuit. IIRC, she wasn't quite walking at that point. The next 2 winters she had 2 pieces (jacket and bibs).

I have some other ON coats for everyday wear and they lasted well (DD#2 will use them this winter).

I can tell you that MEC snow gear (and their rain gear) is EXTREMELY popular here. I don't have any of their outerwear, but have TONS of their fleece jackets and hats and they are GREAT!! DD#2 will use all of the MEC stuff we have and it looks brand new.

I've also seen cute snow gear at Please Mum.

If you are in the US anytime soon, we have gotten great deals on outerwear at Target. In fact, DD#1s ski pants that she used last year, the year before AND this year were from Target. $14US and they will have lasted for 3 years (and look like new). Granted, we aren't using them daily like you might, but they have been used for sledding and skiing, not exactly light use.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Piglet
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Ditto MEC!! That is where all our winter gear comes from for the kids. I have the one piece snowsuit in fleece and in "snowsuit" material. I bought some pieces used at Once Upon a Child and they still look great!

I have found some nice winter stuff at Winners as well, but can not comment on the quality/warmth.

torontomom
09-09-2007, 09:46 PM
deleted...

Neatfreak
09-09-2007, 10:40 PM
A snowsuit and a jacket was what worked for us (in Calgary and St. John's). I had a serious snowsuit from MEC for DD for times when she'd be outdoors for an extended period of time. For car trips, she wore a non-bulky jacket (usually fleece with a windproof layer, last year I ordered from LL Bean). I could easily add a blanket on top of her in her car seat to keep her a little warmer.