PDA

View Full Version : Good coat for 6 year old DS??

Piglet
09-20-2007, 11:38 PM
I just started the annual search for the perfect winter coat for DS1 and I have even broadened the search to the US (thanks to the strong dollar). I am not loving any of the coats at LE or LLBean, sadly. They all seem to be either too bulky, too expensive or lacking proper hoods. DS likes to have a hood and I like to know that he doesn't have to remember his hat all the time. I really liked the coats at mec.ca, but haven't seen them in person. In my dreams, I would like to keep the price low, since I am always worried about him losing his coat or getting it filthy - I would hate to spend $100 on a coat that I can't pass on to DS2! Any other places I should try? I liked the snowsuits at Costco, but of course they didn't have the right size (they have never had the right size in all the years I have been looking).

bubbaray
09-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Hmmm, you pretty much summed up where we looked. We were searching for 2 coats -- a winter coat for our weather here in town and a ski jacket (b/c really in Vancouver, you don't need a ski jacket around town in the winter, only for skiing or the 2-3 days we have snow in town).

We didn't like the MEC coats -- b/c they are too boyish for my DD#1 (who is queen of pink). I ordered an LL Bean Katahdin parka for her for her ski jacket and a LE Sport Squall for her around town jacket. I haven't received them and will post how I like them when they arrive.

You could also look at the LE Extreme Squall. I was considering that for her ski jacket. The hood is, (IRC) insulated and detaches, whereas the hood on the LL Bean Katahdin parka is, I think, just a nylon one that rolls up into the collar (and obviously not good enough for an AB winter). I liked the look of the LE Extreme Squall, I just thought it was too much jacket for in town and a bit too big for DD. I called both LE and LL Bean and got the measurements for about 10 different coats. The LE Extreme Squall was the biggest in the 4T size.

I saw some parkas at Please Mum yesterday, but they didn't rock my boat. And, I'm not sure how much stuff I'll buy from there anymore. My recent purchases have washed like crap, especially compared to my Please Mum stuff from 3 years ago. Their quality has gone downhill.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Neatfreak
09-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Marina, I honestly don't know where else to look!

pamela mom of 3
09-23-2007, 04:08 PM
hmmm.. well i am looking at a LE squall for my almost 7yo boy.

After that some we've had that are decent would be columbia, oshgosh isn't bad either.

good luck!

~Pamela Mom To The Trio Of Trouble }(

Piglet
09-24-2007, 09:11 AM
I am replying to myself in case any other moms can benefit from my find: Costco has GREAT snowsuits, IF you can find the right size. I ended up buying a size 7 for DS, because that is all they had. It is too big, but I will keep it for next year if I have to - it is such a nice snowsuit! It has everything I am looking for - long jacket, good hood, not too bulky (as winter coats go). The snowpants have detachable bibs, reinforced bum, knees and instep. The 2 pieces cost $70. They have both boys and girls suits, but the smaller sizes were totally sold out in our store. I have seen size 5 and up, but most of the ones left were 10 and up. I might call the store and see if they are expecting more shipments and then I will stalk them, LOL!

hipmaman
09-26-2007, 08:48 AM
>I am replying to myself in case any other moms can benefit
>from my find: Costco has GREAT snowsuits, IF you can find the
>right size. I ended up buying a size 7 for DS, because that
>is all they had. It is too big, but I will keep it for next
>year if I have to - it is such a nice snowsuit! It has
>everything I am looking for - long jacket, good hood, not too
>bulky (as winter coats go). The snowpants have detachable
>bibs, reinforced bum, knees and instep. The 2 pieces cost
>$70. They have both boys and girls suits, but the smaller
>sizes were totally sold out in our store. I have seen size 5
>and up, but most of the ones left were 10 and up. I might
>call the store and see if they are expecting more shipments
>and then I will stalk them, LOL!

I bought 2 suits for the kids at Costco this year too. I usually bought Osh Kosh, Jupa, Columbia but the Costco ones seem nice, so we'll give it a shot this year.

bubbaray
09-29-2007, 09:38 PM
I saw some cute ones today at Superstore. The jury is still out on their quality (I do NOT like the quality of their womens' t-shirts). But, they had a super cute toddler-girls snowsuit. It was too bulky for skiing, but it was cute for running around in the snow. They had parkas with faux-fur for both boys and girls, too.

And, they had SUPER cute pram-suits for babies. They looked like a sleeping bag and very warm! Too bad I already have one for DD#2.

I bought a warm fuzzy fleece jacket for DD#2, washed it and threads are already coming apart. I don't care as much with her stuff as I don't expect to be handing it down (!!). But, for DD#1's stuff, it WILL be handed down to DD#2, so I want to buy stuff that will last.

The LE Squall came yesterday and it is CUTE CUTE CUTE. Its a bit too wide for DD#1, but the color is adorable. Not sure if I'll keep both that and the LL Bean one (hasn't arrived yet). The LE jacket is VERY well made.

BTW, they have some of the colors of the Squall in Sears stores here.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007