View Full Version : Lists? What to bring to hospital and what you need for newborn?
08-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Does anyone have a list of recommended items to take to the hospital with you so you are prepared for labor, delivery and recovery?
Along the same lines, what do you recommend having on hand at home for the first few days with a newborn? Also, what do you need for your own recovery? I'm assuming that I will be in no condition to run out to the grocery store or Target!
I am in the unfortunate position of having to move 3 days before my due date. Just in case the baby arrives on or before moving day, I want to have a couple of boxes packed with the bare necessities so that I can unpack those right away and leave the rest for later (or for DH!).
08-07-2003, 02:04 PM
I'm sure there are previous threads on this and we received good lists from our childbirth class. However, I'll tell you what I found useful. Our baby was born early at home so these only apply to afterward.
I think the following were good to bring to hospital:
shorts & t-shirts
cheap Hanes underwear (they were comfortable & I didn't want to wreck my nice ones)
list of people to call
phone cards (you can't use cell phone)
journal (if you keep one)
CAMERA / videocamera
sleeper to bring baby home in
toiletries such as shampoo/cond. makeup, deoderant & curling iron
nursing bras & breast pads (although I didn't need these til I got home)
* The hospital will dress your baby in their t-shirt (if you want) & they have plenty of blankets & diapers.
I had everything under the sun ready at home, but especially if you are breastfeeding, all you really NEED is some t-shirts, sleepers & blankets for baby, diapers, wipes, rash ointment, washcloths & place for baby to sleep. Ours slept in a PNP bassinett in our room.
Although I didn't go out much the first month, I did make it to the store the day I came home. I just wanted to feel like a human being again and get out for a couple minutes.
I'm sure others might disagree or think of other things but that is MHO. What's most important is your loving arms to hold baby and something to eat.
There are previous threads containing great recommendations on what to bring and not bring to the hospital and what you need when you first come home from the hospital. Just do a search of old threads over the past year. Here are two threads regarding what to bring to the hosp.
But again, these are just 2 of them. Do a search for both topics and you will find lots of great info.
08-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Here's mine that I used with Joshua:
Checklist: What to Bring to the Hospital
1. Birth plan
4. Socks (a few pair)
5. Hair band/clips
6. Lip moisturizer
7. Snacks, hard candy, mints
8. Toothbrush and paste
9. Massage lotion
10. Tennis balls in sock, rolling pin or “back roller”
11. CD player and music
13. Extra pillow
14. Focal point/picture
15. Bath pillow and matt
16. Laminated pictures of labor positions
1. Nursing bra
2. Breast pads
3. Maternity underwear
4. Nursing nightgown
5. Boppy nursing pillow
7. Overnight maxi pads
8. Roomy going home outfit and comfortable shoes
9. Notebook for doctor’s advice and notes
10. Dr. Sears Baby Book
1. Infant car seat (installed!)
2. Sun shades on car windows
3. Outfit for trip home (including hat for fall/winter baby)
4. Receiving blanket
6. Sign for bassinet: “Breastfeeding only! No bottles or pacifiers please”
1. Watch with second hand to time contractions
2. Camera and film/video tape
4. Change of clothes
5. Bathing suit (for laboring in shower/bath)
6. Snacks and reading material
7. Prepaid phone card & cell phone, address book
8. Change and one-dollar bills for vending machines
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.