PDA

View Full Version : What's in your baby carrier collection?

heytootsy
07-22-2003, 03:46 AM
I know ince you start, you cannot stop. Fess up, what carriers are in your collection?

I have:
Maya wrap
OTSBH
Adjustable Fleece Pouch
New Native
Ergo
Sutemi
Extra long Rebozo
Mesh water sling

I am just wondering if everyone is as crazy as me!!

Calmegja
07-22-2003, 07:54 AM
1) Baby Bjorn
2) Baby Trekker
3) ERGO Carrier
4) Sutemi Pack
5) Cozy Baby Sling Company zippered windpro pouch
6) KK adjustable fleece pouch, black
7) KK adjustable fleece pouch, cream
8) Hug a Bub
9) Maya Wrap
10) Hip Hugger
11) Hotsling
12) Zolo silk
13) Zolo toile
14) Prince Lionheart padded sling
15) Solarveil sling

Two dearly departed Snuglis, and a Trailtech backpack the DH has claimed for himself.

I got called a sling hyena the other day at a different board. I would think it's an apt term for me!:P

In my defense, I am giving several of these carriers to my friend who's having a baby in a few months.....so I will be ubder more manageable numbers at that point....

egoldber
07-22-2003, 09:20 AM
I am but a seedling in a forest of carrier addicts. :)

Baby Bjorn
Kelty Backcountry backpack
homemade ring sling (HATED it!) (http://www.mayawrap.com/sewSling.shtml)
homemade pouch style sling (LOVE this sling)(http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html)
water mesh sling from TaylorMadeTreasures.com

And a toile Zolo on the way!

cvharris
07-22-2003, 09:34 AM
I'm just starting out, but we have:

Baby Bjorn (might return this as DS doesn't seem to like it)
Kelty Kangaroo (haven't tried this yet, looks like the Bjorn)
Kelty Elite Backpack

And on the way...
KK Adj Fleece pouch in Glacier Ice
Toile Zolo

Can't wait to try these slings...DS is a high needs baby who loves to be held!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-22-2003, 09:39 AM
I have, in order of purchase:

two Theodore Bean carriers (one leather, one not, that I won on eBay for a song but I wasn't sure I was going to win the auction so I had bids on both of them). Hubby uses this for short trips to the store. It hurts his back. He has agreed to try a sling someday when we have time to fiddle with it.

Ring Sling from Mothers Grove that I got on eBay. This is the one I reach for most often, although I now know it is too small for me since the tail doesn't even hang to my waist. But I like it that way. I have noticed that as she gets heavier, it slips and I have to keep tightening it. So this is why I am about to get a Zolo.

Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch. This was my favorite when she was a newborn, and I still reach for it in the house (when the a/c is on) and she wants to sleep on me.

New Native Baby Carrier in the lightweight lavender color. I was looking for something to replace the KKAFP when it got hot outside, and this worked. But I find that I like the ring sling better now that I have practiced with it more.

Ring Sling from eBay in a really big size, this tail hangs to my ankles. I was searching auctions and saw this one about to end really cheap so I got it. It is in a natural muslin color and I thought maybe I would tie-dye it, but I am afraid I would look like the Partridge Family Bus coming down the sidewalk in it with as much fabric as there is. :)

Maya Wrap Pouch. I just like the pretty colors. :) I just got this on eBay recently and have not used it yet, but it feels like it will be scratchy.

Soon to be coming: Zolorwear cotton sling. I am waiting for some fabric swatches from her so I can choose my color but it will probably be the natural.

What I am coveting next: An Ergo-like carrier for hip carries and back carries when she is older, or maybe a Sutemi. And of course a Didy. Oh and I will need a mesh sling or a solarveil before I go to my mom's in Florida for Christmas since they have a pool.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

JerseyMom
07-22-2003, 12:12 PM
New Native - enjoyed this while the baby was small, though could never get over him looking squished, not that he ever minded.

OTSBH - Never got use to this sling. Couldn't get it positioned comfortably and hated the padding.

Baby Bjorn - Can't believe I forgot about this one. We use it constantly. DS likes it best for when we are most active and while he is still small, he fits in perfectly. However he is growing rapidly and the Maya and the Zolo will outlast this carrier due to weight limitations.

Maya Wrap - Didn't touch this sling until I saw a women at church using hers and then chased her down so she could show me in person how to use it. Now I love this sling. Huge learning curve but really offers wonderful flexibility and functionality.

Silk Zolo - Just received it yesterday and have yet to try it. Looks so much easier to use and the fabric just makes me feel dressed up and less bohemian. Can't wait to give it a twirl! Might get a cotton one if I love it as much as everyone says I will.

zen_bliss
07-22-2003, 12:47 PM
KK fleece pouch
KK cotton pouch
Rev. Jan's Magic Pleat Ring Slings -- 2 silk brocade, 1 Solarveil
Baby Bjorn 2003
Rosado sling
Hotsling
Hip Hammock (not really used yet)
Mom N Me hemp pouch (DH's)

Departed:
OTSBH
Baby Bjorn 00 w/retrofit kit

lizamann
07-22-2003, 04:31 PM
1. OTSBH - camouflage; my husband chose this for himself as the first baby carrier we got
2. Baby Bjorn - have to admit that baby and I both like this
3. Girasol (just got this and am LOVING it!)
4. silk Zolo - just received yesterday; looks great and seems way more adjustable than the OTSBH

Wish list:
a. KK AFP for fall
b. cotton Zolo for right now (where's my credit card?!?)
c. Didymos or Girasol in a more neutral color

Who knew this would be so addictive?? Thank goodness my hubby is kind of smitten too. He wishes they made a Girasol in camouflage...

Beth

ginamlee
07-22-2003, 04:46 PM
KK fleece pouch
Zolo sling in cotton

Hoping these two will be versitle enough (and yet different enough) to take care of my baby carrying needs. I returned a Baby Bjorn unused after reading on these boards. :)

Momof3Labs
07-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Have:

Mom & Me hemp pouch
Daisy Doodles pouch
Baby Bjorn with regular and XL straps (hate it!)
Zolowear cotton sling
WRF hip carrier (will probably sell - like my pouches much better)
Tough Traveler Stallion backpack (for DH to wear)

On the way:

Rev. Jan's solarveil ring sling

Departed:

Hip hammock

Wish list:

KK adjustable fleece pouch, although probably redundant with M&MC hemp pouch (so I'll just get a different color!)

the5howards
07-22-2003, 07:04 PM
>Have:
>
>WRF hip carrier (will probably sell - like my pouches much

>
>Rev. Jan's solarveil ring sling
>

Where did the Rev Jan's sling come from . Link please. and if you are selling your wrf drop me a line.

chrissy

the5howards
07-22-2003, 07:18 PM
My current stash includes

2 Baby Bjorns -- unused for the last 3 years
1 OTSBH -- Used to love it now its okay
1 New Native -- too big
1 Hot Sling -- too big
1 KK Fleece pouch -- love it in cooler weather
1 Walking Rock Farm -- Love it
1 Eddie Bauer Back pack - Dh's

Wish list

Zolo silk, maybe hip hugger, solarveil

Momof3Labs
07-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Chrissy,

Here's Jan's website:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/slings.html

I'll let you know if I decide to sell the WRF!

cheyennemom
07-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Great question!! I love peeking into other people's houses!

I have, in order of overall preference:

Baby Bjorn
Ergo
vauDe Swing
Kelty Backpack (can't remember which one.)
Walking Rock Farm
New Native
OTSBH

I use the top 5, weekly.

redheads
07-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Ok, here I go with my list. This is so much fun!

KK Adjustable Fleece Pouch - just got and I really like, use in A/C
Homemade Pouch made with soft flannel - is ok, good for diaper bag and limited use. Doesn't fit too great, kinda big, I do really like the flannel material
Ergo - like for back carry, did hurt my shoulders today though
Sutemi - soon to be here, cannot wait to compare to Ergo
One Step Ahead Hip Carrier - ok, not deep enough pocket

Soon to order:

Zolo in cotton - waiting on swatches, cannot decide, probably cotton

I am hoping to make everything work with the KKAFP, the Zolo in cotton and either the Ergo or Sutemi (one I will sell). Do I need a frame carrier? I tried the Kelty and it almost killed me.

Departed:

Baby Bjorn - have to say that I found it to be comfortable. Was limited on how long we were able to use it.

C99
07-22-2003, 09:08 PM
I only have two (three):

Baby Bjorn in XL (my husband wears this one)
Baby Bjorn in regular size
HotSlings sling

I want to try the Ergo or Sutemi pack -- something that goes on the back. I had been hoping to get one of those frame backpack sort of things, but my husband just told me that he will not wear one (because he's so tall that he's afraid of wapping the baby into doorframes), so I am rethinking that purchase. I'm also debating getting a second HotSlings pouch. I get soooo many compliments on mine, but I thought it might be nice to get one in a different fabric for fall. :)

gremlin44
07-22-2003, 09:33 PM
>I want to try the Ergo or Sutemi pack -- something that goes
>on the back.

I have an Ergo that I would like to sell. I got it for DH for Father's Day. He loves it, but it is very tight on him at the waist. I just found out last night that Ergo redesigned the carrier just last month and made the waist strap longer--just what we need, but I can't return mine because it has been more than 30 days.

I love it, and would like to get the newer one so that both DH and I can wear it comfortably. We've used this one 4 times. It is the denim blue.

I'm in Oak Park if you are interested in borrowing it to see if you'd like to buy it from me.

I'm on the Chicago BBB list, so you can email me there or here.

plum
07-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Baby Bjorn
Hip Hammock
Zolo cotton sling

and the last I hope to get is the KK fleece pouch.

I think DH would flip if I got any more!

chrissyhowie
07-22-2003, 11:12 PM
1. Theodore Bean Microfiber Carrier -- first one I had, but turned to slings when DD hated this when she was a newborn (she likes it now)

2. Homemade pouch style sling -- Like Beth (egoldber), I LOVE this sling too! (http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html)

3. KK fleece pouch -- great sling, looking forward to the cooler weather so I can start using it again!

4. Homemade ring sling -- I used the directions from Reverend Jan's website which were definitely the best of the ones I found on the internet! (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/printsling.html)

5. Solarveil ring sling on the way from Reverend Jan! Can't wait to get it!

youngnan
07-22-2003, 11:36 PM
"I have an Ergo that I would like to sell. I got it for DH for Father's Day. He loves it, but it is very tight on him at the waist. I just found out last night that Ergo redesigned the carrier just last month and made the waist strap longer--just what we need, but I can't return mine because it has been more than 30 days."

Hi gremlin44--I'd be interested in this if the other person does not follow up. I live in Milwaukee, and we will probably take a daytrip to Chicago sometime soon. If it's available, I'd like to get in touch via email. What is the Chicago BBB list?

lizamann
07-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Caroline,

I saw your hotsling yesterday at the movie and it has me thinking I should order one! Someone please stop me...

Beth

plum
07-23-2003, 10:06 AM
What's the difference betweeen the Hot Sling and the KK fleece pouch?

Calmegja
07-23-2003, 10:45 AM
Stretch, and adjustability. You cannot adjust a Hotsling....;-)

toomanystrollers
07-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Let me see:
1. Baby Bjorn (yuck)
2. Kelty Explorer (heavy)
3. NOJO sling (good riddance)
4. KK Fleece pouch :)
5. KK Cotton pouch :)
6. Red Cotton Zolo :) :)

Perhaps a silk zolo in the near future!!

Just slinging around,
Pam

partyof5
07-23-2003, 12:07 PM
I have in my collection:

Green Cherry Blossom silk Zolo sling- So pretty and functional
Toile cotton Zolo Sling- Great for summer
Baby Bjorn in black gingham- Nice for super short trips
Kelty Kangaroo in black- Tried on once, it's not for me, hope to eBay this

Dearly departed:
WRF Sling Baby: could never wear it comfortably, caused major neck & back pain
Nojo sling: a no go from the start, returned it right away

Hope to get:
KK Adjustable fleece pouch
KK Adjustable cotton pouch
Rosado sling

~Cindy
mommy to...
Isabella (1999)
Sophia (2001)
Ethan (2003)

lisams
07-23-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm looking at getting a KK pouch but can't decide on cotton or fleece. It's hot here in AZ (for 9 months out of the year), but will mostly be using it while shopping indoors. Is the fleece much more comfortable and better fitted or do you think the cotton is comfortable enough?

Thanks!
Lisa

parkersmama
07-23-2003, 04:13 PM
It may just be me but I think the fleece one is soooo much more comfy than the cotton one. I do love the cotton (I live in Central Georgia...hot an humid here) for summer but I'll be going back to the fleece as soon as it cools off some. Of course, the cotton one is still *much* more comfortable than all others I've tried so it's still a really good bet!

parkersmama
07-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Great question! Reading everyone else's responses, it's clear that I'm going to have to try out a Zolo!! :-)

I have:
1) a KK Adjustable Fleece Pouch...my beyond-all favorite!
2) a KK Adjustable Cotton Pouch...love it for the coolness factor
3) a Baby Bjorn...we don't ever use it anymore
4) a HotSling...too big, at least for now

Not so dearly departed:
a OTSBH...man, did I ever hate it!

Blue Jeans Mama
07-23-2003, 04:27 PM
I don't have too many, just got into this and DS is already 17 months old.

1. A Baby Bjorn that I didn't like. I will be selling it on ebay soon.

2. Hip Hammock. I got it when DS was 8 months old and used till he was 15 months. It hurts my neck and back now.

3. Evenflo trail blazer frame carrier

4. A ZOLO cotton sling t hat I am loving

5. A sutemi on th way

and I hope to get the fleece pouch during fall. I need to sell the baby Bjorn first.

Cathy

chrissyhowie
07-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Both the hotsling and the KK fleece pouch are pouch-type slings. Jessica (Calmegja) is correct in that they do differ in adjustability. The KK fleece pouch is adjustable in that you can make it slightly bigger or smaller by changing the snaps. The hotsling should be created to fit you correctly since it cannot be adjusted without resewing it.

I think the biggest difference between the two is the fabric from which the slings are made. The KK fleece is made of course from fleece, while the hotsling is made from cotton-type fabrics. The benefit of the KK fleece pouch is that it is cozy, plush and very warm. The benefit of the hotsling is that it is thin, compact and cool.

HTH,

beckyr88
07-23-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm totally new to the sling mania around here...but I have a KK cotton AND a KK fleece pouch on order...And I can see myself wanting a Zolo if this sling thing goes well!!! I can see that it's addicting!! And (a little) easier on the wallet than wanting more $300+ strollers....(as I try to justify...)

Until now, we've been using the Bjorn and LOVING it.

baby4us
08-21-2003, 11:12 PM
jessica, i am new to this forum, and couln't figure out how to ask you a direct question, so i hope this works...i wanted to get your views on the baby trekker. would you recommend for a long trip with walking?i like the looks of it, but don't now how IRL...thanx

lisa
logan 7/24/02

Roleysmom
08-21-2003, 11:47 PM
I actually thought I had a lot of carriers, but now I know better!

In my collection:

Baby Bjorn (she's way too big for it now but we really liked it for the first year)
OTSBH (I may be the only one here who liked it and used it all of the time)
Hip Hammock (the only carrier we use now and it works well for us)
Ergo (I don't like it at all, but my husband does)

Departed:
VauDe Swing backpack (hit me in the wrong spot and was very uncomfortable)

Paula
-- mom to Roley Julia 01-04-02

mommyj
08-21-2003, 11:58 PM
So far I have

All cotton Rebozo (blue)--This has been great for the summer. I love
the fabric.
KK fleece pouch (glacier ice)--I love how cuddly & cozy this one is.
It's definitely too hot for summer days, but I love
it for cooler evenings. I know I'll use it all the
time once it cools down.
Zolo silk sling (black dragon)--I haven't used this with ds yet, but
the fabric is to die for & it's really comfortable.
Baby Bjorn (black)--This is dh's. DS doesn't like yet.

I had an OTSBH but I returned it before ds was born. I HATED how bulky it was. It felt like I had a king-size pillow sitting on me.

I really want a didymo (I forgot how to spell it), but I'll wait until dh has forgotten how much I've already spent on carriers. I'm also planning on getting a backpack carrier when ds is old enough for one.

Calmegja
08-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Hello!

Depends on how you are going to use it.;-) For a front carry, definitely. For a back carry, I like it, but I would have to give the edge to the Ergo Baby Carrier, in terms of total support, and the way it works on the back. I also have a Sutemi.

The Ergo is a wee bit more supportive around the waist, and makes a good bucket for baby, so in a back carry, in my opinion, it works a little better. I use my Trekker as an overgrown Bjorn, and it is terrific for that, but as a back carrier, it wasn't my favorite.

Gina on here has a Trekker, and she is an absolute devotee. Hopefully, she'll see this, and she can give you her take on it.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be glad to give them a whirl!

calebsmama03
08-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi there!

Just wanted to say hi to another 3/3/03 mommy - that is my son Caleb's birthdate too :-)

I have 2 Maya Wraps (LOVE IT) and a NoJo "Original Baby Sling" (HATE IT!!) BTW - one of my Maya's was homemade by my mom from the pattern on their site, which is a great way to save some $$ if that is an issue. It is EXTREMELY easy!

I'm always looking for others, but DH is not fond of my baby product obsessions! ("Why do you need more than one carrier/stroller, etc?")I'm finding that as DS gets bigger (now about 15 lb) the Maya gets tough to wear for long periods. Which carrier do you like best?
Lynne

Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

uccomama
08-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Here's what I have right now:

Ring slings:
Silk Zolo
Rosado
KK mesh sling
Maya Wrap
OTSBH
2 MamaBaby slings

Pouches:
New Native
KK Fleece
Hot Sling
Pea in the Pod hemp fleece pouch
Precious Pouch

Wrap arounds/tie ons:
2 Didymos (yellow indio and Nora)
Storchenwiege (another German wrap around)
Rebozo

Front/Back carriers:
Wilkinet
Packababy

Sold:
Ergo (DS is now too big for it)
Babylonia Backcarrier (a Euro back carrier)
El Comal Didy length Rebozo
Primaxx carrier

I think that's all!

Deborah

baby4us
08-22-2003, 09:17 PM
jessica, thanx for being so good with your mail! i was planning to use for both front and back, which ever way DS likes best. i just got my hotsling in the mail (sling virgin), and was trying him in it today...so far he's been a bit squirmy, and did not seem impressed. i saw that a lot of you guys got the sutemi through the co-op,and that looked nice, but i think i am too short (5'0")...do you agree with the premise that the ergo is more anatomically correct, and more comfortable for baby than trekker? the only reservation i have about ergo is that i am also top heavy, and am not sure how the top strap is going to hit my chest...i wish i could try on! what do you think of wilkinet?

lisa
logan 7/24/02

heytootsy
08-23-2003, 05:24 AM
Yeah Caleb, don't you love having a kiddo with such a cool birthday!

Our favorite carrier is the Adjustable fleece pouch. It is so snuggly and comfy! The Zolo is a close second. I use to really like the Maya wrap, but now that DD is getting bigger, it is hard to wear for long periods of time.

jiahn02
08-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Hi,
I was thinking of purchasing the Vaude Swing and was wondering why it hit you in the wrong spot. How tall are you?

Roleysmom
08-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Hi.

I'm 5'4 and I couldn't adjust the Swing so that it fit in the small of my back area, where it was most comfortable, but didn't come too far off the top of my shoulders. When it hit at my shoulders, then the bottom hit near my tail bone which was ackward. It can be adjusted to two different positions but neither one solved my problem. When I talked to the store owner, she was really surprised I couldn't get it to fit comfortably. Maybe it's just my body shape or something. I was actually sad to return it. It seems like a great backpack, very light and sturdy. Maybe it will work for you.

MelissaTC
08-27-2003, 12:42 PM
I have:

KK fleece pouch
New Native
Walking Rock Farm carrier
2 OTSBH (just got a NEW one at a consignment sale for $10!!!can't beat that price!!)
Snuggli (for DH)

lizamann
08-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Inspired by finding out that Heytootsy lives in my area, I've decided to update my post.
The collection has grown by leaps and bounds since the last post.

What I originally posted:
1. OTSBH
2. Baby Bjorn
3. Girasol
4. silk Zolo

What I have since acquired:
Didymos
EllaRoo
Hotsling
KK Solarveil
Maya wrap sling

Deciding on the color of the KKAFP which has already been ordered.
Considering a KKACP.

Mary Esq
08-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Well, I am not due until December and I have a collection already. (I am in a wheelchair and need to be hands free.)

Infantino Cozy (donated by a friend)

Theodore Bean Active Baby (eBay)

MaxiMom (eBay)

The BB rides too high for me. My son thinks I should try a sling, but I wouldn't know where to begin and I don't know how it would work with an older baby since I can't do the hip carry.

jiahn02
09-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm approximately 5'5" and short waisted so I think I would probably have the same problem with the Vaude Swing. I live in New Jersey and there doesn't seem to be any stores around here that carry the Vaude Swing to try on. I also did not like the Ergo carrier and am looking for a backpack carrier for my 9 month old. Do you have a backpack carrier that you recommend?