View Full Version : Solid foods questions!!!
03-15-2004, 03:09 AM
I started dd on cereal about three weeks ago (I tried to hold out for 6 months, but she had been bfing 8-9 times a day for a couple of months and then suddenly started waking in the middle of the night to eat...plus I consider her 2 weeks older than she technically is because she was 15 days late...the due date was very reliable!)...anyway...
1) When do you start feeding solids twice a day? Three times a day?
2) I quit eating meat (still eat seafood, so not a vegetarian) eight years ago after breast cancer diagnosis (but am EBFing out of the good breast!!), and would like to consider that meatless diet for my dd. Have any of y'all done so satisfactorly with respect to outside influences (i.e. children's friends, your own families, etc.)??
3) I'm currently mixing the Earth's Best Organic Whole Grain Rice Cereal (iron fortified) with spring water because my ebm is very limited (remember bfing out of one breast!). DD eats it pretty well, although the bm makes it taste better, I imagine. Do y'all think this is ok, or should I mix it with formula?
I appreciate any feedback and value ALL opinions!!
03-15-2004, 09:56 AM
1) Twice a day was not until 8 months I think...and 3 times was just recently at 10 months, but that's just us...
2) I wanted to keep meat out of Kayla's diet for at least a year, but got pressure from my ped and family so compromised at 10 months with fresh chicken. I would certainly consider a vegetarian diet if that is what is good for your family. Super Baby Foods by Ruth Yaron does not introduce meat into the diet at all and helps give a plan as to how to introduce new foods. Even if you don't plan to make your own, it might be a helpful guide. It lists what foods are good to introduce at each month... I would definitely give iron drops if you are not giving meat after she's 9 months.
3) I've always mixed my cereal w/ water because she's getting BM all day long...my thinking is what's the difference if it's water in the cereal and not EBM? She's not missing out on any EBM, just not getting extra in her cereal. I do however use bottled fluoridated water. And, I also learned that EB has almost 1/2 the foritiied iron as Beechnut Naturals...just something to consider...
Congratulations and good luck with everything!
ETA...I now mostly mix my cereal w/ organic juice...my point is, she's getting EMB elsewhere, so I didn't see the need to have to make sure it was in her cereal.
Mommy to Kayla
03-15-2004, 12:16 PM
1. I started twice a day at 10 months. I have not started three times a day yet, but plan to shortly after she turns a year old.
3. I mix the cereal with jarred fruits. Just mix the dry cereal right in with the fruit puree until it is the right consistency. It tastes better than mixing with water, and you have the vitamin C that helps with iron absorption.
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03
03-16-2004, 05:37 PM
My pediatrician said to feed him 2-3 tablespoons twice a day right from the start (4 months). I don't know if that's because he's small or what.. but I've been keeping an eye on how much he drinks (he's formula fed) to make sure the cereal isn't taking up too much of his appetite. He's perfectly fine with it, and always finishes the 2-3 tablespoons without complaints.. I'm sure he would eat more if I let him, but I'd rather him eat formula since it has more nutritional value.
I'm not a vegetarian, so I can't comment on that.. but a lot of books I've read say not to introduce meat until 9-10 months because it's got such a strong flavor.. so I imagine you don't have anything to worry about for a while yet.
As for mixing the cereal.. I use formula instead of water, mainly because my son is a peanut. I just want to make sure he gets all the calories and whatnot that he needs, so I feel better mixing with formula rather than water. I do give him a few sips of water out of a cup after his meal, though.. he doesn't really like the water, but does like the cup. ;)
03-16-2004, 09:12 PM
well, i must have a hungry DS cause we started feeding him cereal at 5 months (it was just the right time for him based on his staring at us as we ate... not saying it's right for everyone) and soon after that he was eating three squares a day! we have fruit with cereal in it in the morning; veggie with cereal for lunch, then something like turkey w/mixed veg (the beechnut or gerber jarred kind) with cereal for dinner, with fruit for dessert (just to be sure, all these foods are jarred).
i can't help you with the vegan Q as i'm a proud meat-eater... apologies!
we sometimes mix cereal with water, but mostly it goes right into whatever food he's eating. we've also mixed it with formula or EBM if i have some that needs to be used but is not enough to warrant freezing (i don't pump anymore, as he's with me most days or DH give him a formula bottle).
proud momma to aidan
03-17-2004, 01:04 AM
I began solids twice a day at 5 months (cereal in the am, veggie, then fruit at dinner.) Just last week (6+ months) we started 3 times a day. This works for Carson because he is a hungry, little guy who is dying to try chili, pizza, pasta, salmon... whatever is on my fork!
can't answer number 2, started that meat week, too.
I have always mixed cereal with water because when we started cereal, Carson had a cold and couldn't have dairy. So I figured, I'm feeding him breastmilk and formula at other times, why change things now that he likes them (with water.)
Everything seems to be fine.
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.