View Full Version : Antibiotics question- how long to work, etc.
09-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Here's the situation- we're kind of in insurance limbo right now. If you missed my post last week, my husband was laid off, and although we'll probably end up using COBRA, that's not in place yet, so I'm trying to avoid a re-visit to the dermatologist I saw last week.
I have a sebaceous cyst on my neck that I think is infected. The dermatologist put me on Keflex, which I started on Saturday IIRC. The cyst is getting worse- it's getting bigger, and is a crazy purply-red color. Should the Keflex have started working by now? Is it normal for an infection to get worse, an then start getting better?
I'm supposed to go back in 2 weeks to talk about having it removed, but if I can avoid going back before then, it would be ideal.
09-29-2008, 11:48 AM
If you know that you are getting COBRA, it is retroactive to keep you continuously covered. I would call the derm and not mess around with it.
If it were me, I would also NOT mention to them the COBRA issue. Just go in as usual and it will all get figured out.
09-29-2008, 01:29 PM
I would definitely go back to the derm. If you have been on Keflex since Sat, it shouldn't be getting worse. You may need a different antibiotic and you certainly don't want to mess around with it. I agree with the pp, don't mention the cobra deal. You will be covered if you are going that route.
09-29-2008, 02:07 PM
it should be getting better by now. Go back!
09-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Instead of going back, can you just call them, explain it's getting worse and see if they'll call in a different prescription for you to try?
09-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Ok, I called, so we'll see what the PA who saw me thinks. If she does want me to come back in though, aren't they going to call to verify my coverage anyway? Maybe it won't be in their computer yet?
This thing on my neck is so hideous, I don't even want to go out in public! I'm waiting for something to come crawling out. :p
09-29-2008, 03:09 PM
When I was pregnant with Amy, DH changed jobs and we switched insurances. We had COBRA for one month to tide us over until the new insurance went into effect. During that time I had an OB visit, a high risk OB visit and a L2 ultrasound.
I just didn't tell them anything. And from their perspective nothing will be different. With COBRA it looks like the same old insurance. If they ask if you have new insuance, just say no.
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
So I went today, and they drained the sucker, thank goodness. Gosh, that was horriffic though! It hurt like crazy, but at least it has shrunk down a ton. Thanks for all of the advice guys.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.