PDA

View Full Version : Green/chem free carpet cleaning...what to look for?

wendibird22
09-28-2009, 10:29 AM
DH and I would like to have our carpet cleaned before DD2 arrives. In the past we've rented a machine from the store, bought the standard chemical, and done it ourselves. I'm interested in doing something green or chemical free so that it's safer for DD1, DD2, and our dog. The room we want done is DD1s play area so I am concerned about chemicals on the floor that she roles around on and plays on a lot. I have no idea as I search for a cleaner in my area what to look for. They all talk about various methods of water spray/extraction and a few mention "green" cleaning products. Just not sure what is the safest process and if green "chemicals' are really any better for my kid's health. Or am I better off just renting a machine and using my own safe cleaning product?

ahrimie
09-28-2009, 12:32 PM
DH and I would like to have our carpet cleaned before DD2 arrives. In the past we've rented a machine from the store, bought the standard chemical, and done it ourselves. I'm interested in doing something green or chemical free so that it's safer for DD1, DD2, and our dog. The room we want done is DD1s play area so I am concerned about chemicals on the floor that she roles around on and plays on a lot. I have no idea as I search for a cleaner in my area what to look for. They all talk about various methods of water spray/extraction and a few mention "green" cleaning products. Just not sure what is the safest process and if green "chemicals' are really any better for my kid's health. Or am I better off just renting a machine and using my own safe cleaning product?

I would ask if the chemicals they use are Green Seal approved. It's the most rigorous of standards to abide by. Also, you want the machine to be hooked up to the truck (truck mounted) instead of a small machine inside. Truck mounted ones are a lot more powerful.

I got ours cleaned a few months ago and my carpets looked brand NEW! Even the parts that didn't look dirty before looked brighter after they were done.

lizzywednesday
09-28-2009, 01:34 PM
We had similar concerns (I am sensitive to scents and chemicals in general with my allergies and asthma) when we moved into our house ... DH called several agencies to see what their method was before we chose one.

I believe our service used a dry method, but I am not 100% on that.

Personally, I don't think it worked too well, but our carpets are nasty and I want to replace them with laminate.