PDA

View Full Version : New recs for full size tricycle for 4 year old.

kayte
09-30-2009, 05:43 PM
The title says it all.. I need recs for a large tricycle (we have had a radio flyer fold and go and now have a medium sized kettler).

DD is also getting a balance bike for Christmas. We just want her to have a pedal option too.

Gena
09-30-2009, 06:30 PM
At age 4 she might be getting a little big for a trike. How about a Big Wheel? DS got one for his birthday (5) and loves it.

GraceH
10-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Why not get a 16" bike with study training wheels? they cost about the same as a tricycle and are more 'grown up'?

BeachBum
10-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Why not get a 16" bike with study training wheels? they cost about the same as a tricycle and are more 'grown up'?

I agree. We recently went to a birthday party where the kids all brought their bikes. All the four yr olds and most of the older 3's had "real" bikes.

kayte
10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
She is getting a balance bike for Christmas. I also want her to have a trike to peddle. I few of our friends have larger trikes and that's what I want.

Does anyone know which size of the Radio Flyer is the largest? The one with the deck or not? Their website only lists the tire size (not the height of the bike) and the box dimensions.

baileygirl
10-02-2009, 01:07 PM
What about a big wheel?

KrisM
10-02-2009, 11:40 PM
How about the Schwinn Roadster?

http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/Products/Kids/Juvenile/Tricycles/

My neighbor's have it and the 3 year olds can ride it easily. My 5.5 year old is a little big for it, but can still ride it. I want to say he could ride it pretty easily last year, but I don't remember for sure.

I know you want a trike. I will say that we have a balance bike, too. We got it just before DS1 turned 4 and he learned a 2-wheeler with no training wheels within weeks of getting the balance bike. DD was on the balance bike this year and we just took her training wheels off at 3.25 years. The balance bike seems really good for getting kids riding. Maybe hold off on a pedal bike until she is on the balance bike for a bit and see what she wants?

niccig
10-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I know you want a trike. I will say that we have a balance bike, too. We got it just before DS1 turned 4 and he learned a 2-wheeler with no training wheels within weeks of getting the balance bike. DD was on the balance bike this year and we just took her training wheels off at 3.25 years. The balance bike seems really good for getting kids riding. Maybe hold off on a pedal bike until she is on the balance bike for a bit and see what she wants?

This is a good idea about maybe waiting on the trike, and see how she goes with the balance bike. Once DS got the balance bike, he never rode his trike again. He was 3 years old and 9 months later he had moved to a 12" pedal bike without training wheels, and I gave our trike away.

KrisM
10-03-2009, 09:49 PM
This is a good idea about maybe waiting on the trike, and see how she goes with the balance bike. Once DS got the balance bike, he never rode his trike again. He was 3 years old and 9 months later he had moved to a 12" pedal bike without training wheels, and I gave our trike away.

We still have our trike for DS2, but right now, it gets very little use. No one would miss it if it disappeared. Both kids prefer the regular bikes.