PDA

View Full Version : What toddler push toy do you recommend?

kijip
10-03-2009, 08:44 PM
F will be 1 2 days after Christmas. So for either his b-day or for Christmas I want to give him a push toy that you walk behind. What do you have and love? What do you have and not like?

Any other good toy or gift ideas for 1 year olds?

ThreeofUs
10-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I got G, who turned one late last month, a HABA wagon. He and his big brother have a BLAST with it around the house.

Another push-behind toy I had - FP or something - was nowhere near as good; much more tippy, kwim? Also, I like the HABA dyes. G puts everything in his mouth, so I don't mind so much when he chews thoughtfully on the wagon.

alirebco
10-03-2009, 09:30 PM
We have the Haba Walker Wagon and DS still plays with it a year later. Super sturdy. My sister has the Radioflyer Walker Wagon for her daughters and they like that too.

firsttimemama
10-03-2009, 09:33 PM
We had a couple of push toys. One was the plastic type - V-tech, and while it went "too fast" sometimes it was easier to push around.

We also had the radio flyer walker wagon, which I think is a fantastic toy but DS spent about as much time riding in it as he did pushing it.. It can be a little hard to push, mainly hard to turn..

jent
10-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Radio Flyer walker wagon. Very stable, so great for the pulling-up, tippy stage. Hard to turn/maneuver, so abandoned in favor of doll strollers once she was a good walker.

hillview
10-04-2009, 07:46 AM
DS likes this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sprig-Toys-A8001-Discover-Rig/product-reviews/B001BERBL0

He loves ALL things cars.
/hillary

brittone2
10-04-2009, 11:27 AM
We have the Haba walker wagon and it is really nice in terms of quality. It can also sort of transform into a doll/stuffed animal stroller, etc. eventually too.

The RF walker wagon also gets great reviews here.

Both are expensive but can be used past the time the child learns to walk (RF can provide some storage or be used like a shopping cart).

Both are very stable. Both should have good resale value on craigslist in your area (I would assume). IME the plastic ones just are never all that stable...they tend to skid, etc. (especially on hard floors). The RF and Haba have a handle that is centered well over the base of support, and with them being wooden, they are more stable and don't tend to skid or slip.

kijip
10-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the tips. I am going to look for one used first but it is nice to have some ones to look for. We have wood floors all over the main living areas so skidding/sliding is a concern.

new_mommy25
10-04-2009, 02:08 PM
DS had some Fisher Price plastic toy with lights and sounds. Worked great for us, however I wouldn't recommend it with wooden floors as it moved really fast. Worked fine with our carpet.

We had the Haba walker wagon for DD. It was beautiful, however short lived. Once she started walking she rarely played with it and preferred her doll stroller instead. Of course, the benefit of the Haba wagon was I was able to resell it on CL for almost the same price that I paid. :)

kijip
10-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks again, ladies. I scored the Haba walker wagon on Craigslist this morning in nearly new condition for $50. I know it won't be used for more than 6-12 months, so I feel good that we will be able to sell it again for $50, "free" present. :tongue5:

ThreeofUs
10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks again, ladies. I scored the Haba walker wagon on Craigslist this morning in nearly new condition for $50. I know it won't be used for more than 6-12 months, so I feel good that we will be able to sell it again for $50, "free" present. :tongue5:

WHOA! Great buy!

I got mine from a store where it had been the "demo model", and I still paid $100 for it. CL s*cks around here.

Seriously, though, DS1 loves the HABA as much as DS2. It's a great piece of equipment.

alirebco
10-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Awesome score!!! DS still uses his wagon and he has had it for over a year now.

desertmama
10-06-2009, 11:05 PM

That's awesome! In case someone else is looking for something sturdy but less expensive, we got ds one like this http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Tonka-Wheel-Driver-Scoot/dp/B000OV7A6C and put a brick in it (there's a gap that's just the right size when the seat is lifted for the push walker set-up). It worked great on our tile floors. The extra weight helped slow it down as well as fixed the tippiness problem.

lchang25000
10-07-2009, 08:51 AM
That's awesome! In case someone else is looking for something sturdy but less expensive, we got ds one like this http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Tonka-Wheel-Driver-Scoot/dp/B000OV7A6C and put a brick in it (there's a gap that's just the right size when the seat is lifted for the push walker set-up). It worked great on our tile floors. The extra weight helped slow it down as well as fixed the tippiness problem.

We have this one too! Got it on clearance at Target for $10!! Thanks for the tip about the brick.

brittone2
10-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Glad it worked out, Katie! That's awesome!

I think you'll like it for F. :)