PDA

View Full Version : Is there a portable DVD player that doesn't suck?

Fairy
10-18-2009, 06:39 PM
We're on our fourth. I'm getting REAL tired of this. We bought our first one a while ago -- Best Buy's brand, Insignia -- and it died after a year, so we bought a new one, a Toshiba that was alot more expensive. That died after a year, and this time we bought a piece of sh*t thinking, jeez, if they're gonna be so bad, let's buy a crappy one, and this time DH got the extended warranty thinking since none of them are lasting, maybe this really will pay off. Sure enough, the third one -- Best Buy's brand, Insignia -- died after just a few months. We couldn't believe it. We invoked the waranty, and after sending it out for repair, they agreed it could not be repaired and replaced it with the exact model. Well, guess what. It's broken again. NOT EVEN ONE MONTH LATER. Come ON, already, people! It's not like it takes alot of abuse, cuz it doesn't. This time it won't charge. Sure, we can replace it, again, and certainly we will, as we need one. But will this end?

So, we've had four of them in fewer than three years. Can someone please tell me if there's a portable DVD out there that is built to actally last a few years?

ThreeofUs
10-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Apple laptop? :) Seriously, it's what we use.... Of course, it can't be secured to the back of a seat, but that's not much of a problem for us.

arivecchi
10-18-2009, 07:15 PM
We have a Sony one. So far so good. Got it at Target for about $130.

bubbaray
10-18-2009, 07:16 PM
We have a piece of crap one from Target (about 3yrs old?) and I would LIKE it to die so we can get a new one with a longer-life battery. It won't die. It was a no name brand.

firsttimemama
10-18-2009, 07:19 PM
our sony seems to be holding up well

geochick
10-18-2009, 08:23 PM
We kept going through Sonys (because our kids are naughty, not because Sony sucks).

We decided to buy Netbooks to replace the last Sony. Now we just load up kid movies for travel or whatever. Each kid has one, and off we go. No discs to carry around. The kids aren't so naughty anymore, and they can use the Netbook for all sorts of educational software too. My 5yo loves to type in Word - who knew?

LOVE the Netbook (we have Samsung, I think - few hundred bucks on Amazon).

Fairy
10-18-2009, 08:26 PM
We kept going through Sonys (because our kids are naughty, not because Sony sucks).

We decided to buy Netbooks to replace the last Sony. Now we just load up kid movies for travel or whatever. Each kid has one, and off we go. No discs to carry around. The kids aren't so naughty anymore, and they can use the Netbook for all sorts of educational software too. My 5yo loves to type in Word - who knew?

LOVE the Netbook (we have Samsung, I think - few hundred bucks on Amazon).

Oh gosh. I love this idea. We do have that 2 year waranty now, tho. But ... this is a great idea!

MontrealMum
10-18-2009, 08:28 PM
We bought our first, a Sony, back in May. We don't use it a ton, but so far, so good.

jerigirl
10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
We have a Sony as well. No issues with it...