PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a go-to gift for 6yo classmates?

kristenk
10-20-2009, 09:53 PM
DD came home today with her first birthday party invite from kindergarten. The party is this Saturday. I don't have any info about what the little girl likes.

Does anyone have any gift recommendations for 6yos? This party is for a girl, but I'm guessing we might be getting a few invites from boys pretty soon, too, so I'd love to hear suggestions for girls and boys.

I'm guessing that I'd like to keep the price in the $15-$20 range. (My standard gift has been Polly Pocket sets that I purchased at a discount last year. I'm about to run out of those, though!)

bubbaray
10-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Monopoly jr.

kristenk
10-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Monopoly jr.

Really? I totally wouldn't have thought of that. Do 6yos like that?

new_mommy25
10-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Really? I totally wouldn't have thought of that. Do 6yos like that?

Yes. My kids love board games. Clue Jr. is another fun one.

My go-to gift is a lego set. You can never have too many legos.

kijip
10-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Gift card to a bookstore. If I don't know the family/kid, it is so hard to guess what they might like/have and a bookstore giftcard is my go-to. Toby loves buying books with gift cards from his b-day. Books for 5-6 year olds can be pretty cheap- like $3-8 a pop so $10-20 for the card gets them something nice. As a bonus, I can stop and get it at a grocery store if we are running late. This became my go-to when we took T to a party when F was 3 weeks old. Weeks later, the parents raved to us about how nice it was so that is pretty much what I do now if we don't know them.

jillmk
10-21-2009, 05:28 AM
We often give Monopoly Jr. as well. Usually a game of some sort! Although for DD's 6th bday she got 90% craft sets--good as well.

KrisM
10-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Monopoly Jr is good.

Sticky Mosaics are currently a huge hit with my non-art loving 5.5 year old.

ohiomom1121
10-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Blokus and Sticky Mosiacs. :)

urquie
10-21-2009, 03:19 PM
we need three b-day gifts for 6yo girls this weekend! they are all getting craft sets from costco. there's one that is for making bracelets, another with glitter glue pens with paper and other stuff to glue on and the third one has neon pens with something?? there were also a few more masculine sets and all were $13.99. crafts seem to be a safe bet... and if not, it's an easy return at costco.

kristenk
10-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Thank you for the suggestions! I have some Sticky Mosaics sets in the closet that I had forgotten about. I'll also check into Monopoly Jr. and Blokus. I'll head by Costco tomorrow. :)

We love board games at our house, but haven't tried Monopoly Jr.

Corie
10-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Gift card to a bookstore.

My daughter would LOVE this too!

Corie
10-22-2009, 09:27 AM
My kids love games too.

We like to play Sorry! and Jenga. My daughter is so anal
about not letting the Jenga blocks fall over and my son thinks it's absolutely
hysterical.

My son also likes Lego sets. He got a bunch on Saturday at his 5th birthday
party.

egoldber
10-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Board games are great at that age. In addition to the traditional ones, my older DD loves the games from ThinkFun. They are available at places like Target now too.

And always a gift receipt. ;)

A gift card to a bookstore is a great idea too. Kids that age love to spend their own money, it makes them feel very grown up. :)

kristenk
10-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Anyone have any clever ideas on how to present a bookstore gift card in a fun way? Most of the parties that DD has been to, the kids open gifts during the party. While a gift card might be fun later on, it's probably (might?) not be the biggest hit *at* the party if it's just stuck in an envelope. DD would be very sad if it appeared that the birthday boy/girl didn't like the gift she gave.

(Please keep in mind while reading the above that the ILs gave DD a gift card to build-a-bear for her 5th birthday on my suggestion. DD opened the gift bag, saw the gift card, saw that there wasn't anything else in the bag and then burst into tears and ran to her room. NOT the reaction I was expecting!)