PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a reading area in your house?

gatorsmom
10-21-2009, 01:30 AM
What does it look like? Sisi loves to read. She loves to sit and look at book after book. But Greenbean tears apart or eats even the boardbooks we have so I pretty much keep them out of reach. I'd like to give Sisi a better opportunity to escape the chaos to read a book in a quiet place, but the reading area is upstairs and while I"m in the kitchen/greatroom, I won't let her up there alone (this also deters Greenbean from eating them).

What does your reading area look like?

kijip
10-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Pretty much everywhere in the house. There is a decent chance that at any given moment at least 1 person in the house is reading something printed. F is a paper/book eater so we do keep the books away and just take the one(s) we are reading around the house. I have noticed that T heavily favors one chair in the living room for reading. His books are in his room, ours are in the office and on shelves.

ThreeofUs
10-21-2009, 10:00 AM
We have a LOT of books. Everywhere. All bedrooms, hallways, and other rooms have many books on bookshelves - oh, and did I mention the overflowing library?

Reading areas in every room are quiet chairs, usually "safe places" in a corner. Of course, all beds are also reading places. :)

The one place we don't allow books or toys is the kitchen, since a certain DS threw a huge ball of yarn on the stove where it caught fire. :shake:

Ceepa
10-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Would Sisi use a little tote bag? She could put a few chosen books in it and carry it around the house with her. When she was done reading she could pack up again and move on. You could even put up hooks (one in the bedroom one in the common living area) so when the tote bag wasn't being used the books are less tempting to other little hands and teeth. ;) A special reading area for her can just be a quiet corner with a big pillow, soft mat or low chair.