PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Party for a 2-Year-Old

auntieof4
10-24-2009, 03:26 PM
One of my nephews is turning two and his mother has asked me to get building blocks for his birthday present. My question is: which type of building block is more accessible for a just-turned two-year-old, Lego Duplo or Mega Bloks? I hear that Lego Duplo is slightly smaller than Mega Bloks, and his mother prefers him to have the large, chunky blocks, so I'm not sure which one to choose?

Also, I'm not sure how popular this idea is, but does anyone else find it's necessary to buy a (small) toy for the other children on each child's birthday? In that case, I know what the other boys would like (Ben Ten x 100.):bighand:

As for the girl...

Should I get his five-year-old sister a set of blocks too, so she won't feel left out? Or would a Barbie doll be more appropriate? Barbies are her personal favorite, but I'm thinking she might cross her arms and say "Hmph...my brother got blocks but I didn't." (I say this based on extensive experience with her personality.) ;)

new_mommy25
10-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Duplos are the better choice. They will last much longer than the larger mega bloks. They are large enough that they are not a choking hazard. My 6 year old still loves to play Duplos.

As for a small gift for siblings....that's really up to you. I don't think anyone expects it of you. I know that I have a tendency to buy small gifts for my nephew and kids at a family party so they don't feel left out. For instance when my son turned 6 and we opened presents with grandma/grandpa/aunt/uncles, I bought my nephew a small play doh kit and my DD some Hello Kitty stationary. I don't know too much about 5 year old girls but I think that she would probably like either the Barbie or a small lego kit (they have kits in the $5-10 range).

auntieof4
10-24-2009, 04:24 PM
thanks for your input. I just put in an order for a 71 piece kit of Lego Duplo on amazon. they have free super saver shipping so it only totaled out to 25 bucks:)

For the other boys, a toy car from Cars and a Ben Ten Nerf football. Nothing too fancy :D

I still haven't made up my mind about my niece. She's a queen :heartbeat: (her nickname since birth has been "Queenie", though no one officially calls her that), so it will be hardest to pick out a little present for her. :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: