PDA

View Full Version : Radio Flyer Walker Wagon

Krisrich
10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
So I was planning on getting DD a plastic ride/push toy for her first birthday. After reading some reviews here, I've decided against it because I'm sure she'll tip over and hurt herself. (I have already been feeling like buying her a helmet recently.) Anyway, the radio flyer walker wagon is mentioned a lot as being sturdier so I'm thinking about getting this instead. But, is it worth the investment? Will she get frustrated if she can only push it in a straight liine and then crash into something and be stuck? Maybe I should give up on the push toy idea and get something else?

brittone2
10-29-2009, 12:11 PM
The RF walker wagon really gets great reviews. Older kids may still be interested in it as a shopping cart, etc. and you can use it to store toys down the road too. Also while it is a bit expensive, the resale on this is probably pretty good if you have an active craigslist in your area or a venue to sell it.

We didn't have the RF walker wagon but had the Haba one. It is expensive, but IMO a solid push toy is much less frustrating (even if they need help steering initially) than a plastic one that tips when a child is pulling to stand or skids on hardwood floors.

truly scrumptious
10-29-2009, 12:13 PM
I was looking at the Radio Flyer, too, and I probably would have bought it if it wasn't for the $$. I went for the Ikea one instead (for $29) and we love it. It has adjustable wheels so you can increase the resistance and make it more stable for your DC. We filled it with heavy books so it wouldn't tip over.
DS loves pushing it around the room. At first he could only go in a straight line and we would have to help him when he got to the end of the room, but now he has figured out how to *lift* the back wheels and turn it so he can keep going!

ETA - the Ikea one is wood with rubber wheels.

missym
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Both my girls loved their RF walker wagon. They never seemed frustrated when steering it and certainly managed to make it go where they wanted, LOL! At 4 and 6, they still play with it pretty regularly. Now it's a shopping cart, an ambulance for stuffed animals, etc. - a racecar when they can get away with it. :wink2:

I thought about selling or donating it at one point when (in my mind) they'd outgrown it, but now I've decided it's probably one of those treasured toys they'll fight over when they're adults.

brittone2
10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
I was looking at the Radio Flyer, too, and I probably would have bought it if it wasn't for the $$. I went for the Ikea one instead (for $29) and we love it. It has adjustable wheels so you can increase the resistance and make it more stable for your DC. We filled it with heavy books so it wouldn't tip over.
DS loves pushing it around the room. At first he could only go in a straight line and we would have to help him when he got to the end of the room, but now he has figured out how to *lift* the back wheels and turn it so he can keep going!

ETA - the Ikea one is wood with rubber wheels.

I always wondered how these were. They look like a decent design and the price is good. I haven't read many reviews here and have never gotten to try one IRL with a new walker or almost-walker.

Alice523
10-29-2009, 07:07 PM
My boys love the RF wagon. They did get frustrated as babies by getting it stuck, but they learned pretty quickly how to back it up and move on. We put it away when my oldest was just about 3 and brought it out six months later when his little brother was learning to walk. The two of them pushing each other down the hallway in it is so cute! It's one of the only things they can do "together" since DS2 is still only 14 months. I got it for $55 on sale, but I would buy it again full price - it gets played with every day and has held up beautifully to a lot of abuse.