PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your puppet theater & puppets

pb&j
10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
DS really would like a puppet theater, and we were thinking about getting one for Xmas. I almost think we'd be just as well off making one out of cardboard and paint, and having more to spend on some good quality puppets.

So, do any of you have a puppet theater and/or puppets that you just love?

TIA.

billysmommy
10-29-2009, 03:47 PM
DH's uncle made one for Billy 2 Christmas's ago ~ the boys love it but it's big and heavy.

He made it so it comes apart to be moved around....we just moved our toy room down to the basement and now the puppet theater can be set up and open all the time and all the puppets have a place.

He also made a detachable counter so it can be a store also.

If you know anyone handy, it might be worth it to make one.

sadie427
10-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Melissa and Doug makes great ones that look like muppets - can't post a link right now. We just duck behind the couch to do the puppet show!

deannanb
10-29-2009, 10:25 PM
we have a doorway puppet theater -
like this http://tinyurl.com/yf793p8

we have hooks in the kitchen/den area

a bunch of folkmanis puppets as well as some from costco

happymom
10-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Someone recently did a mini puppet show for my students and he used a collapsible clothes drying rack that was rigged to be a puppet theatre! So creative. He basically had curtains hanging from certain rods and he was behind it. Hard to explain, can you sorta picture it?

citymama
10-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Wow, I've been waiting for this question all my life (well, as a parent). ;)
DD is puppet-obsessed - specifically, with realistic animal puppets. She has about 30 - almost all by Folkmanis, which makes the most amazing puppets in all sizes. We have everything from finger puppets (the Folkmanis ones are fairly large finger puppets) to hand puppets to a couple of stage puppets. We do a LOT of puppet shows. DH made her a puppet theater from an old cardboard box that he reinforced, he made curtains out of some cloth we had lying around. He's made wooden sides for it over time. It's a little rinky-dink and if we had more space, we'd love to invest in a puppet theater, but it serves the purpose.

We usually buy our puppets in local toy stores, but I've bought some hard-to-find ones online (amazon.com has several Folkmanis puppets (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=folkmanis+puppets&x=0&y=0&sprefix=folkmanis), and there are speciality puppet e-tailers as well). Some of our favorites:
rabbit in the hat, peacock, squirrel, hedgehog.

I'd be interested to hear if you find a great puppet theater!