PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on play kitch pots & pans

pillsnberries
10-31-2009, 10:49 PM
We've purchased a Melissa & Doug wood kitchen for DD as her xmas gift. I wanted to get a few accessories to go along, but I'm not sure if I should get wood, plastic or metal. M&D has some wood pots & pans, but I've read on here that their stuff thends to chip. Anyone have recommendations for something more durable?

Any suggestions for other accessories for the kitchen that I should get?

TIA

Katigre
10-31-2009, 11:50 PM
I prefer metal pots and pans for a play kitchen (we also have a wooden kitchen). IKEA has a nice set of pots and pants, I like it just as well as the metal Melissa and Doug set we also have.

For play food, I like crocheted food the best with a few wood pieces thrown in. If you search on Etsy you'll find photos and patterns - DS's great-grandma made him a lot of play food out of yarn for his 2nd birthday and it is still in wonderful shape (and doesn't hurt if thrown at someone, is easy to wash, and I can let DD chew on it without worrying about lead paint :))

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/Champagnepunch/Picture033-1.jpg
(clockwise from bottom left: toast, pb&j sandwich, turkey and lettuce sandwich, grapefruit/orange, pear, apple, banana, raspberries, cherries, grapes, chocolate eclair, two cakes/cupcakes, oreo cookies, frosted cookies, egg, bacon, pop tarts)

katydid1971
11-01-2009, 12:38 AM
I prefer metal pots and pans for a play kitchen (we also have a wooden kitchen). IKEA has a nice set of pots and pants, I like it just as well as the metal Melissa and Doug set we also have.

For play food, I like crocheted food the best with a few wood pieces thrown in. If you search on Etsy you'll find photos and patterns - DS's great-grandma made him a lot of play food out of yarn for his 2nd birthday and it is still in wonderful shape (and doesn't hurt if thrown at someone, is easy to wash, and I can let DD chew on it without worrying about lead paint :))

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/Champagnepunch/Picture033-1.jpg
(clockwise from bottom left: toast, pb&j sandwich, turkey and lettuce sandwich, grapefruit/orange, pear, apple, banana, raspberries, cherries, grapes, chocolate eclair, two cakes/cupcakes, oreo cookies, frosted cookies, egg, bacon, pop tarts)

OMG those are so cute.
Totally jealous that you have some one who can make those.

Charlie
11-01-2009, 04:13 PM
DS is getting a wooden play kitchen for Xmas. I'm planning to get the Ikea pots and pans set, and their utensils set. I think I'm going to get him a set of Plan Toys cutting food. Not sure what else tho - maybe a potholder or overmitt. I also feel like just the cutting food may not be enough but I'm not sure what else to get. I can crochet so I may attempt to make some food.

bubbaray
11-01-2009, 04:15 PM
We really love our Green Toys tea set and cooking set. They are recycled plastic milk jugs.

kristac
11-01-2009, 04:49 PM
By far the most loved here are learning resources smart snacks. We have cookies, icecream, and cupcakes. Got them as a three pack at Tuesday Morning for $20 a few christmas' ago. Runners up are the cutting foods. We have M&D and Plan sets- I like the plan set better (no chipping) but the boys play with them equally. M&D birthday cake gets some love as well.