PDA

View Full Version : How do I dispose of used epipens?

Corie
04-05-2010, 06:48 PM
My CVS pharmacy would not take them. I'm not sure what to do with them.

Thanks!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Call the County Health Dept. They should be able to take them, or tell you where to dispose of them!

trales
04-05-2010, 06:54 PM
My doctors office used to let me put them in their sharps container. I would call over, and bring them in a box and a nurse would let me use the container. I have not had one in a few years so I don't know if they would still do this.

marie
04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
was going to post this question, too!

i keep coming across our expired one every time i try to declutter.

hmmmm, the ped is 45 minutes away. that would take some forethought and planning on my part. . . :p

tnrnchick74
04-05-2010, 07:23 PM
A hospital, EMS station, or fire department should also have sharps containers and allow you to dispose of them safely.

Swimfreak78
04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
FYI - I've saved mine up and brought them in when I had an appt. Otherwise you can buy a sharps disposal kit at a medical supply company.

JoyNChrist
04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
My primary physician's office has let me dispose of mine (I have a life-threatening bee allergy) there the two times I've needed them.

Jo..
04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
I disposed of my used needles (not epi pens, but Lovenox shots) by breaking the tip off and throwing them in the trash per my drs instructions...not sure if epi pens are a very different from syringes?

BabyMine
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
With my used needles I was told to put them in the sharps contaier, pour bleach and water into the container, wrap it in duct tape, then throw it away.

Momof3Labs
04-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Fire dept came to my mind too.

newg
04-05-2010, 08:48 PM
you can buy a sharps container and then when it's full I think you can take it somewhere (I believe it says on the container what to do).

bubbaray
04-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Whenever you use an EpiPen, you need to call 911 -- the resulting ambulance and/or fire department should be able to take the pen in their sharps container.

Fairy
04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
They sell Sharps containers at Walgreens. I had one that I just filled up, then I wrapped it in several layers of garbage bags and threw it away.

jent
04-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Whenever you use an EpiPen, you need to call 911 -- the resulting ambulance and/or fire department should be able to take the pen in their sharps container.

This.

But expired, unused EpiPen? You could bring to your doctor's office.

TwoBees
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM
This.

I brought my expired ones to my Dr. My local pharmacy took one from me once too.

Corie
04-05-2010, 09:33 PM

These are expired unused EpiPens that I am asking about.

bubbaray
04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
These are expired unused EpiPens that I am asking about.

Ahhhh. WE just discussed this at our allergy meeting. The consensus is to keep them for 5 years. Then dispose of them as sharps per above (I take mine to the pharmacy).

I didn't know you could keep them as backup pens (ie., for use while camping or on a flight). So, I will be keeping mine in the future.

HTH

Corie
04-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Ahhhh. WE just discussed this at our allergy meeting. The consensus is to keep them for 5 years. Then dispose of them as sharps per above (I take mine to the pharmacy).

I didn't know you could keep them as backup pens (ie., for use while camping or on a flight). So, I will be keeping mine in the future.

HTH

Well, sh!t, I wish I would have known this earlier today!!

alien_host
04-06-2010, 09:15 AM

BUT I thought you were supposed to bring the epi to the hospital? Like they would want to see it or something? I suppose the ER would take it.

Another note, you can use unused expired ones to "practice". You can practice on an orange or grapefruit as it gives you a much better feel for it than the trainer one does. We've done practice sessions at our allergy lectures.

sidmand
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
FWIW I was told I could put syringes and insulin pen needles into a laundry detergent jug and then seal with duct tape and throw in the trash.

I don't know if epipens would be the same (I would think so?) and then you don't have to buy a sharps container if you don't want to. When I was testing a lot and using many syringes (when I was pregnant) I used to keep a detergent jug in the bathroom and then seal when I was done.

alexsmommy
04-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Well, sh!t, I wish I would have known this earlier today!!

That's what I thought when I read that. I literally just put one in my old sharps container and threw it out because the school nurse asked for a new one because the one they had was expired. Grrrr. I would have kept the "expired" one at home so I could stash it one additional location!

jent
04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
FWIW I was told I could put syringes and insulin pen needles into a laundry detergent jug and then seal with duct tape and throw in the trash.

Actually, now that you say this, I remember hearing this too during my training. It would technically be safe, I think, but I don't know what the legalities are with trash disposal.

Now I'm going to ask next time I talk to the allergist & the endocrinologist.